Battery covers for Samsung Galaxy S and VibrantTips

Last Updated:

1. chocobosandwich

chocobosandwich Banned This Topic's Starter

Are there third party battery covers for the Samsung Galaxy S? And will they work for the Vibrant since they look so similar? What I mean by battery cover is the piece of plastic you remove to get to the battery and sim card, maybe also called the backplate. Because all the accessories I see on eBay are just covers for the cover itself. In video reviews, the vibrant has two battery covers that are different. I was thinking of something along those lines so I can swap up battery covers if I get bored of one.

Advertisement
  2. gerberman

gerberman Well-Known Member

Yea my partner has bought loads for her I phone on ebay for peannuts, sure I saw one last night but it was hot pink for about

3. Mugatu00

Mugatu00 New Member

if anyone knows if there are battery covers/backplates for the captivate that would be great if you could let me know too, thanks...my bro is looking for ones for his Vibrant and I'm looking for ones for my Captivate

4. karnka

karnka Well-Known Member

I've had a quick look around ebay and not seen anything too obvious.

Tbh what I'd really like is a replacement cover for the Galaxy S that's a little bit less cheap/plasticy...

Edit - As the OP says, I'm just finding cases to go _over_ the battery cover. Anyone with a link to an actual cover replacement it would be appreciated.

5. snapper.fishes

snapper.fishes Well-Known Member

Haven't seen one so far. Honestly, unless if Samsung releases an official one, the chances of getting one is real slim. Companies are more interested in making cases.

6. karnka

karnka Well-Known Member

I really would have thought there'd be some from the far east by now.

I wonder what happened to the market in this kind of thing. Go back a few years to the glory days of Nokia and there were hundreds of choices for every phone. :/

7. snapper.fishes

I guess it's just easier to make cases rather than the actual shell of the phone. I still see shells for older versions of blackberries, PSPs, NDS, Nokia, etc. But nothing for any of the Android phones. Shells are usually meant for repairings rather than aesthetics, so they might still turn up in the future when people start breaking their phones...

8. karnka

karnka Well-Known Member

Yes, seems to have fallen out of fashion :/

9. ayalew

ayalew Member

My carrier Bell here in Canada sells official battery covers for our samsung galaxy s phones. Its called the vibrant but is actually the international version. Check out the vell website.

karnka likes this.
  10. karnka

karnka Well-Known Member

11. snapper.fishes

It is the original one. wonder why they are even selling it....

12. misterrunon

misterrunon Well-Known Member

crap, i bought my vibrant without the door... thought i could buy the door on ebay or something, but i guess not. i'm not sure what to do now. im in the US, so i'm not sure if i could even order from bell.

13. virgopunk

virgopunk Member

In terms of changing the battery cover i found that one of these on eBay look pretty cool. It covers up the back of the phone and still allows smooth moving in and out of pockets (unlike those jelly things). It adds a bit of depth but not much.

14. Cyb3r5c4r

Cyb3r5c4r Well-Known Member

@misterrunon

ive honestly never heard of this before, what company sells phones without a back cover??

15. paco909it

paco909it New Member

16. Metusion

Metusion Active Member

would be cool if a strong non plastic cover would be offered

17. snapper.fishes

There was a anycall white one on sale in yahoo hong kong auction.

18. andy-roid

andy-roid Well-Known Member

I would like a white one

19. bidboy

bidboy Member

Thanks for the link. Usually very careful with my phones, but a few days ago I was replacing the battery & the cover fell from the table to the floor, so the dog decided to play with it. After a good clean it still fits onto the phone but has a few teeth marks on it ( the dog did'nt come near me for a couple of days after ). Ordered a cover from that link, won't be genuine but the Chinese can make some great copies. Will update when I receive it, probably a couple of weeks.

20. Onemoa

Onemoa Well-Known Member

I am thinking about doing a light sand then painting the extra backplate that came with my Samsung Vibrant. I have seen some done on youtube in white and I must say it looks really nice. I have done some custom painting jobs on PC towers and with some of these new spray paints you dont even have to sand let alone clean it.. But I want the paint to stay and look good.. For right now I am using a jelly case, and I really like the added grip but it makes the phone a bit harder to get in and out of your pocket if they made a rubber coated backplate that would be really nice imo. I am sure we will start seeing stuff like this down the line since the Vibrant is still selling like crazy and really is the best smart phone (along with the other Galaxy S models) you can get right now.. I just like the Vibrant due to the feel, it has a really nice feel and I love how light it is.. ok I gotta get back on topic, lol.. anyway it would be nice to see a graphite and some rubberized areas on it just for added grip. I really dont see them coming out with metal type backplate but I think that would be nice too.. Main thing I guess I am looking for is a nice white factory backplate, if I dont see one soon I guess I will have to do a little work on it myself and I was also thinking if I did use (I cant think of the name of the paint) but it has a grip type feel to it and you can even see the texture if you look close but with a nice clear coat on it to make it nice and shiny that might work.. if I do get around to it, I will post some pics..

21. bidboy

bidboy Member

UPDATE.

Just to let you know that the cover mentioned in my post above has arrived (6 days).

The cover is an original genuine Samsung cover, identical in every way to the cover supplied with the phone, even the molding marks inside the cover are the same. Nice to find a honest Chinese seller on ebay.

22. misterrunon

misterrunon Well-Known Member

would be nice if they made a case where you remove the battery door and replace it with the case.. then you'd have a case that's thinner and protects everything but the screen.

23. Onemoa

Onemoa Well-Known Member

well imho most cases like the jelly case that I use for my Vibrant protects the screen example, if I dropped the phone on anything flat the screen will not be touched.. it would have to be dropped on a rocky road or dirt road with something sticking up to touch the screen and really even without the case there is that bezel that goes around it and if you the vibrant flat on a table the screen will not be touched. That is pretty much why (again) "imho" the Samsung Vibrant is the best out of the 4 and as I always say I love how light it is yet it has such a solid feel and getting to the battery and SD card is so easy with the way you just pop off the back plate and pop it back on and it seems to be really thin yet is really pops on there, I think there are 5 or 6 levers holding it on.. ok back to the topic. after reading some of the other posts a metel back plate does kinda sound neat and you could have etchings on it for added grip. There are some people that could make a lot of money off of this selling custom backplates just for the vibrant since it is the most sold model due to it being the baseline version of the Galaxy S reason I say that is the i9000 uses the same back plate as the Vibrant and really is the same phone besides the front facing cam and middle home key. please correct me if im wrong but I will check up on it some more.

24. cleanermonkey

cleanermonkey Well-Known Member

Check out this batterycover with real leather... looks very nice. Only problem is that its made for the korean s9000 and that one has an antennae :(

But if it has been made for that one maybe it has been made for ours as well ;)

Attached Files:

25. chulew

chulew Member

I think a ruberized plate would be nice. A bit more grippage on the behind.