battery dead after 12 hours

Last Updated:

1. smulx

smulx Member This Topic's Starter

I just bought a second hand Samsung Galaxy Portal, and it's a great phone and works fine, but the battery is dead 12 hours after a full charge. I had a task killer installed at first but I removed it after reading about how it drains the battery, so I'm wondering what else it could be? I know it might just be an old battery that's lost it's will to hold charge, but what can I check on the phone before I have to splash out on a battery or take the phone back? I know it has some decent tools for monitoring battery usage so what should I be looking for?

Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. smulx

smulx Member This Topic's Starter

I haven't got any weird apps installed, except google sky watcher. The rest are just standard things like facebook, emails, appmarket, etc

3. sitlet

sitlet Banned

what do you have syncing and how often? You need to go through every single app, and check the settings to make sure what they are syncing and how often. For example, the stock phones automatically sync weather, news, and stocks every 2 hours, which kills the battery, and most people dont need news or stocks. Also, depending on how old the phone is, the battery could just be old and not holding a charge.

4. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

Start with the battery info screen or an app to check your usage.

And keep in mind that apps that use the GPS receiver (such as Google Sky Map) will quickly kill your battery.

5. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

"Second hand" often means the device's battery could be aging.

If I purchased a used device, I'd seriously consider a new battery.