battery dead = no more phone?

Last Updated: 2010-03-24 12:27:10
  1. aaronmach1

aaronmach1 Well-Known Member

battery went dead and shut phone off. i put it on the charger and i cant turn it back on. i pulled the battery and everything. whats going on? It died while i was on the internet.

Advertisement
  2. ttaylor0024

ttaylor0024 Well-Known Member

Happened to me before. I just did a battery pull, then put battery back in, plugged it in and the charge LED flashed, phone turned on and started charging.
  3. aclos3

aclos3 Active Member

It can take quite a while for the phone to regain enough power to turn on. This is especially true if you are plugged into a computer. I have found that the quickest way to move past this annoying issue is to plug the Droid into a wall outlet and leave it alone for 10-20 minutes before trying to power it up.
  4. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

Definitely plug it into a wall. For some reason when the battery goes dead plugging into a pc doesnt charge it in most cases
  5. aclos3

aclos3 Active Member

yep, USB was never meant to power serious devices or charge batteries. I think lighting up a mouse laser was about all they had in mind for the power of USB. Most computers just simply won't supply much current to their USB ports.
  6. josh0875

josh0875 Member

You may have better chances that battery is ok but it's something in the Android. It happened to me and the reason was that I never kill any running apps. If you get it up after some tries, kill the unwanted application first.

My 2 cents
  7. GClax24

GClax24 Active Member

This happened to me once. I only had my laptop and usb was my only option. It took a good 30 minutes for it to power back on and start charging like it normally does (starting at 5%)
  8. lone_anarchist

lone_anarchist Well-Known Member

i think that usb ports are capible of 1.5-5V but not sure, not very much though. standard computer PS is output of 12V, but volts is just pressure :p amps is where its at.
  9. aaronmach1

aaronmach1 Well-Known Member

thanks everyone i figured it out soon after i posted this. You were all right though the computer wasnt gettin it. As soon as i plugged it in my car charger it turned back on.
  10. FrayAdjacent

FrayAdjacent Well-Known Member

The USB port on your computer puts out the same voltage as the wall charger, but much less current. Charging will take longer, so in a 0 power situation, where the battery is fully discharged, it should take a few minutes on a more powerful charging source to power the phone back on.

Let it fully charge up before you use it much if you can, and avoid fully discharging the battery. Lithium cells don't like that very much.