• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Battery dies overnight. VERY Intermittent.

pjw73nh

Oct 15, 2012
Stock, non-rooted ATT Galaxy S3 about 10 months old. Was on JB 4.1.1 until last week. now 4.1.2.

My issue is that the I will go to bed (or leave the phone for several hours) with the battery at fairly reasonable charge (> 60% for example), and wake up with a dead battery. Phone is off. Inmost cases, because I don't use my phone all that much, I have to recharge the battery every 2-3 days.

I have had this issue for the last 3-4 months. It is very intermittent. It used to happen about once every 6-8 weeks. Now it is happening about 3-4 times a month. It is not related to the JB upgrade to 4.1.2.

I am very conscientious of the apps and such that are running on my phone. Almost with out fail, I shut all apps down (holding the home button, and then clearing them all) after each use of the device. Yes, just about every time I use the phone. I use a total black home screen except for the clock (white). (no widgets at all on any part of the phone). Screen is on auto bright, and set pretty dim. I usually leave bluetooth and wifi on. There are no bluetooth connections available in my house, and my wireless router is 20 feet away and always on.

You can see some screen shots of GSAM battery monitor here. These were taken a few minutes after I found the phone dead and plugged it in to charge it at 8:41 am. I do not know how to interpret the charts that well. But from what I can see something was continually draining the battery from about midnight on.

https://picasaweb.google.com/pjw73nh/GalaxyS3BatteryIssue?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCMCe8fer0fHSBQ&feat=directlink

Any thoughts or comments welcome.

Thanks.

Hey,

I might have a solution to your problem. I can see that your battery graph is pretty steep there. It's actually not that way on other S3's. But okay, lets try a solution. First of all, I found out somethings you mentioned in your post to be the suspects.

1) You can leave the WiFi ON during the night, even I do that so I don't miss something important. But I am sure the power from the Bluetooth can be saved by turning that OFF at least during the night.

2) Go to the Play Store and download a Application called "Easy Task Killer". Then, just set it up inside the options to "Auto-Kill" your applications every 5 minutes. Believe me, killing at that frequency can save upto 2 hours of extra battery time.

3) The way, you're thinking that by long pressing the home key and then removing all apps from there closes them. You're wrong! That long press procedure is just quick access to the last used apps and a way to easily switch to them. They never control the processes run by those apps which eat your battery. So to close them automatically, just refer to point 2.

Regards
Developer Callsign: ADProgrammer
Aayush Dutta

Upvote 0
Thank you for the replies. GTWalling: Is the task manager/bad task killer info "current". The post is from 2012.

Aayush: I tried it, but even after running it, I still show them running in the app list when holding the home button down. Or am I missing something here.

QuickAudi, Yes it should, but unfortunately, I can't get a graph/log that shows app usage over time. GSAM just lists which apps/items use what percentage of power. I KNOW the screen is always the biggest hog. But it's off ( or should be off) all night long. I need to know what is running WHEN the battery starts its big drain. In the chart shown it looks like midnight.

Upvote 0
Thank you for the replies. GTWalling: Is the task manager/bad task killer info "current". The post is from 2012.

Aayush: I tried it, but even after running it, I still show them running in the app list when holding the home button down. Or am I missing something here.

QuickAudi, Yes it should, but unfortunately, I can't get a graph/log that shows app usage over time. GSAM just lists which apps/items use what percentage of power. I KNOW the screen is always the biggest hog. But it's off ( or should be off) all night long. I need to know what is running WHEN the battery starts its big drain. In the chart shown it looks like midnight.

It would apply with today's Android system as much as it did then if not more. It kills a task that needs to run and the system restarts it using more memory than it would normally use. Task killers do more harm than good to the resources of the phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones