Battery discussions, maintaining battery lifeSupport

1. Rush

Rush {<>}~{<>} Guide

A-hem... I'm out and about right now, and I've already changed two of my batteries (Evo 3d) on my phone already. So, I'm hoping the ("non-removable") battery in the EVO 4G LTE will last much longer. [​IMG]

I'm sure the first couple of days will be the worst, so that's understandable.
  2. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

What are you doing to chew that much power so quickly? 4G? Other?
  3. Rush

Rush {<>}~{<>} Guide

I'm always using 4G. I get 'good' 4G and 3G signal here in the Big Apple. But I'm doing several other stuff on the web, as well as checking inside the forums on a regular. Busy busy... !! ;)

Just got back home -- batteries are now charging and getting ready for a long night.
    EarlyMon likes this.
  4. Lord Vader

Lord Vader Well-Known Member

Amidst all this discussion of not being able to pull the battery, no one has yet to ask this--what does one do if his phone is rooted or otherwise has a weird problem like freezing or locking up, and, like now, a battery pull is the recommended way of fixing this issue? ;)
  5. NeoteriX

NeoteriX Well-Known Member

Actually, it's been brought up at least two or three times in a few of the other threads :) Many have suggested that there will be an equivalent method (holding the power button down long enough or some power/volume button combination. I suppose we won't know until it's in our hands though.

That said, people have been modding/hacking/flashing Android tablets for some time now, and as far as I know, all or nearly all have sealed batteries inside. I think there haven't been too many problems there?
    RichboyJhae and EarlyMon like this.
  6. EarlyMon

The shared expectation is that it will feature a Vulcan nerve pinch of several buttons to accomplish a true hardware reset. We haven't heard which buttons, but that sort of thing is common for phones with fixed batteries.

Edit - ninja'd! :)
  7. NaterTots

NaterTots Well-Known Member

The HTC evo 4g has this option. I've been using it lately just to get used to the idea. You hold both volume buttons and the power for 10 or 15 seconds and it reboots to the bootloader screen.

Naters

Sent from my HTC Evo 4G using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5
    vicshalls and EarlyMon like this.
  8. EarlyMon

Not the same thing as booting to recovery.

Have you owned a PC with a physical reset button? Worked identically to powering up and down without smacking the power supply with the on/off/on transient?

The Vulcan nerve pinch built in to fixed battery phones acts just like that.

Because as many of us will attest, you can be in the middle of a recovery installation for rooting and need a battery pull. Ditto on bad kernel install.

The HTC volume_down + power = recovery will still exist, that's a standard for them, and the Vulcan nerve pinch will be in addition to that. ;) :)
  9. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns! VIP Member

And the boot to bootloader combo never required VOL-UP to be pressed. it was just POWER + VOL-DOWN.
    EarlyMon likes this.
  10. NaterTots

I understand that but pressing the three buttons together will reset your phone. While having a Rom running if you use all 3 it will restart the phone.
  11. novox77

I just tried this on my Evo 4G running CM7. I pressed power plus both volume buttons. Held them all down for 30 secs. nothing.

I hope the official ninja nerve pinch doesn't require that many buttons.

-edit-
    i just saw under your Devices declaration that you have a HW 0004 Evo. Maybe 0004 supports what you describe.... mine is 0003.
  12. EarlyMon

I think you threw us when you said that booted to the bootloader screen. On a stock ROM, that's a straight reset.

http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-tips-tricks/96586-soft-reboot-found-accident.html

Hold both volume buttons, then tap power.

Does that do a hardware reset? Not sure, maybe.
  13. novox77

If this combo depends on it being a stock rom, that would seem to imply that it's not a hardware reset, no? A hardware reset should work regardless of the firmware currently loaded. That's the main reason we need this hard reset, is when we flash an AOSP kernel with a Sense ROM or something similarly stupid I've done in the past :)
  14. NaterTots

Huh. I did it yesterday while trying out an ics rom that froze up on me. The phone wouldn't do anything so rather than pull the battery and then use power + volume down to get to the bootloader I used the three buttons to get there.

I'm just trying to say that if it works with a 2 year old phone I think HTC will have that option on the new one.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5
  15. Tommydaniel

Tommydaniel Well-Known Member

I would rather have a 8.9mm thick phone with a non-removable 2000mAH battery, than have a 12mm thick phone with a removable 1730mAH battery.
  16. Sauske

Sauske Well-Known Member

Agreed!
  17. Lord Vader

Not me. A mere 3mm additional thickness is a no-brainer if it means I could use a battery 133% stronger than the original.
  18. Tommydaniel

How do you figure you will get a battery 250% stronger?
  19. Lord Vader

Actually, the number should be 133% stronger.

From 1500mAh to 3500mAh.
  20. Covert_Death

Covert_Death Well-Known Member

well it's gonna be even more than 3mm difference if you start adding in external batteries... i like my phone to fit in my pocket, i also like the idea of being able to take out my battery and swap it out but in all honesty, i don't even own a spare battery for my EVO so i'm not gonna worry too much bout this
    quijibo likes this.
  21. Lord Vader

I'm not getting all up in arms over it; rather, it's just a change I don't like.
  22. Tommydaniel

Do you mean using extended batteries? The Evo 4G 3500 extended battery adds 6mm. That a little too much for me.

HTC could easily make a case like this for it. mophie juice pack plus
    mak916 and BenChase7 like this.
  23. Lord Vader

My current 3500mAh extended battery with its larger door actually makes my EVO easier to grip and handle than does the stock battery and its size, which is why I like the bigger battery on my EVO.
    SamuraiBigEd and kct1975 like this.
  24. kct1975

kct1975 Well-Known Member

Well said!
    I too bought the Extended Battery option want I got my EVO last summer. It did make my phone fatter, but I agree that it also makes it easier to handle. More importantly the battery life is great with the extended battery.
    SamuraiBigEd and Lord Vader like this.
  25. SamuraiBigEd

SamuraiBigEd Under paid Sasquatch! Moderator

I have the 4000mah Seidio in my 3D and it is awesome. I also have very large hands so the phone still feels tiny to me, I would be happy with a Note size phone with extended battery!

That said, the difference between 1730 and 2000 is not going to make that big of an improvement itself, it will require power saving improvements at the hardware level to make it truly useful.