Battery discussions, maintaining battery lifeSupport

Last Updated: 2013-06-30 17:37:32
  1. 3vodroid

3vodroid Well-Known Member

Not to sound dense but.... Why does letting the battery drop lower than that harm the battery? Does that mean we can't take advantage of the full runtime and instead consider the phone dead when It hits 25%? I've seen a few people say this and I would really like to understand why
    PattiCakeUS likes this.
  2. NeoteriX

NeoteriX Well-Known Member

It's not correct, that's why.

What damages a lithium ion battery is FULL discharge. However, most modern electronics have built in, regulation that shuts the device off at something like 2-4% battery. The way you end up damaging the battery is letting it discharge until it shuts off, and then letting the device idle around long enough for the natural discharge to finish off the last 2-4%.

Having the battery drain to less than 25% or even to shutoff won't harm the battery. It's doing that and then leaving your phone around for another week or few weeks.
    Rxpert83, Rose4uKy, 3volut1on and 3 others like this.
  3. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns! VIP Member

The only conditioning technique relevant to our phones is temperature. Never leave your phone somewhere where it can get really hot, like inside a car on a hot sunny day. High temps will drastically damage Li-ion capacity. The end result is that they won't hold as much charge.

Likewise, if you're doing something with the phone that is data intensive and you anticipate you'll need it doing this for hours (like a long navigation, or playing a game), you'll want to try to keep the phone cool, since the heat from the CPU will heat the battery and cause the same type of charge reduction damage.
    BenChase7 and PattiCakeUS like this.
  4. Lord Vader

Lord Vader Well-Known Member

I use this as well but have noticed that on my LTE EVO, the icon in the upper left of the notification bar is EXTREMELY tiny, so tiny that I simply cannot read it without my reading glasses, and even then it's a strain. Is there any way to make it bigger?
  5. NeoteriX

Edit: Accidental repost.
  6. 3vodroid

3vodroid Well-Known Member

Well that's what I had thought... For example I have numerous tools at work with rechargeable li-on batteries... When my old nickel cadmium batteries would die for example drills would run extremly slow.... Loose power.. Etc... But the li-ion batteries seem to not act that way.. They simply shut down when they reach a pre determined low level.. And I know to charge them.. I assumed this technology would have to be in cell phones..
  7. PattiCakeUS

PattiCakeUS Well-Known Member

Take a look at my screenshots in the screenshot thread, you should see the battery icon on my screen. Is it smaller on your screen?
  8. Lord Vader

Yes. It's in the far left part of the notification bar and smaller than yours. I mean, it's tiny, MUCH tinier than on my OG EVO.
  9. PattiCakeUS

That's weird that it would be smaller for you... I don't know why it would be?
  10. Lord Vader

I wish I knew. I can barely read it on the OG EVO (that's what happens when one is older than 40--LOL), and I cannot read it at all on the LTE EVO. :(
  11. PattiCakeUS

I'm older than 40 and I can see mine because it's not super tiny! ;)
    Have you tried uninstalling and re-installing the app to see if it makes any difference? Other than that I have no idea what you could do to fix it, seems like something's messed up.

Are you using a different launcher or have you added any apps that could be affecting it? And is it just that one icon that's super small or are all the icons up there smaller than they should be?
  12. Lord Vader

Uninstalling it and re-installing it hasn't helped. I'm using the stock launcher. All the icons are their usual small size; it's just this Battery Indicator Pro battery icon is much smaller relative to any others on my notification bar.
  13. Ramzes13

Ramzes13 Well-Known Member

I agree lipo batteries are great, but very dangerous if mis handled or charged improperly. As an rc car and helicopter hobbyist, I have personally seen thse types of battery turn into a rechargable hand grenade, look it up on YouTube, many videos on the subject of exploding lipos. Honestly if it did come.with a lipo, I would be strongly against getting one...
  14. Rose4uKy

Rose4uKy Well-Known Member

I thought these typed of batteries you didn't have to fully discharge and recharge a few times in the beginning. I let my battery get to 14% and it said recharge and I plugged it in.Very rarely does my phone drain to the point where it shuts off but it has. And I usually go home and plug it in and it has to sit for a minute or so before it will turn on.

I got Battery Indicator and I bought the pro a few hours ago cause it mentioned themes and colors and it said you could disable the lock screen but it didn't disable for me and I didn't really see themes and colors I don't know I asked for a refund. Maybe i was doing something wrong. I thought maybe it not disabling the lock screen was an ICS thing. But when I turned off screen and back on lock screen was there.

I wanted an indicator in my bar up to be different colors as your battery drains kind of like circular that I used to have. I know widgets do that but wasn't sure if one did it up in your bar. Maybe I wont have it up in my bar and use a widget. I saw one where you touch it and it lets you turn on/off bt wifi and gps and I kind of liked it cause our settings once you click it at the top doesn't have a gps on off like wifi,bluetooth and mobile network. I know you just go down to locator but I was used to having it on the 3D in quick settings.
  15. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

Quick note on the charging confusion - remember, the charge detail graph relies on a calibration file that's built as you use your phone.

Use it normally, don't bother with charge / discharge and after a few days to a week everything will settle in nicely.
  16. Lord Vader

Battery Indicator Pro does, indeed, allow you to select different colors of the battery icon and set these colors to correspond to a charge level that you can customize. Green, amber, and red are just some of the ones listed that you can customize.
    PattiCakeUS likes this.
  17. Rose4uKy

Rose4uKy Well-Known Member

Do it changes the colors of the indicator when it's up top in the task bar? And I couldn't get the disable lock screen to disable my lockscreen. He said it wasn't an IC thing so maybe it's a sense thing I don't know.

18. Lord Vader

Yes, it changes colors based on your settings. For example, let's say you want the low battery percentage set to 15% and want the icon to turn red at this percentage. It will do so when it reaches that number. If you want it to turn amber at, say, 30%, you can set it that way as well.
    Rose4uKy and PattiCakeUS like this.
  19. jcommerce

jcommerce Well-Known Member

FWIW, I've read (including in this thread) that keeping WiFi on when there's a strong signal, like at home/work, will actually help retain battery power. I put this to the test by keeping my WiFi on over several nights while I slept. The router is right next to my bedroom and I got full bars on the WiFi. I topped the phone off each night before bed, and by morning, I was getting anywhere between 75% - 82% charge remaining. Last night, I did the same, but turned off WiFi...this morning I had 95% charge remaining.
  20. AHWagner

AHWagner Well-Known Member

I barely get any battery consumption when I'm using WiFi at my house.. I have no idea why it uses so little juice.
    3vodroid likes this.
  21. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

Some people are having wifi issues where it is constantly losing and reacquiring signal. That has to be happening to you.

Try WiFi Analyzer to make sure you're on a clean channel. The One X already has an OTA fix for this. Until ours comes, try best wifi
    performance or a static ip under advanced wifi settings.

Or stick with 3G overnight until the fix is in.
    PattiCakeUS and jcommerce like this.
  22. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns! VIP Member

I commend you for doing a real-world test. I think more people should do this rather than just taking on faith what others have said.

My experience with wifi is that regardless if I turn it off or on during standby, the battery drain is about the same (about the 5% overnight value you got from your test). To me, this indicates that leaving wifi on has negligible drain on the battery, provided that you have a good, solid connection to an access point.

I have the same experience with BT. By its short-range nature, BT uses less power than wifi, so this is to be expected. Again same caveat. As long as the signal strength is solid, there should be negligible impact to the battery.

3G and 4G are a completely different story. these connections require significant power, even when signal strength is decent. Turning them off when in standby saves a lot of power. Of course, doing so means certain tradeoffs, like not being able to stream music, do GPS tracking, get push email notifications, etc. So it's not always appropriate. But smart management of 3G/4G radio is a big battery saver.
  23. jcommerce

jcommerce Well-Known Member

Thanks. Ironically, when I switch to "best wifi performance" is when I can actually see my phone dropping then gaining signal repeatedly. I've horsed around with this several times over the last few days and, assuming the wifi indicator is accurate, I get a much more stable signal with "best wifi performance" unchecked. Who knows?

Hopefully they'll come up with an OTA fix sooner than later that won't mess up root (or will be an easy root work around).
  24. NeoteriX

Someone deserves an honorary science badge :D
  25. evofrompre

evofrompre Active Member

I charged my phone, it got to 99%. I downloaded a few apps, played some games, checked email -- I've now been using it for 1 hr 20 min, and my battery charge is.....still 99%. Weird.
    PattiCakeUS likes this.