• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Battery doctor

Bucata206

Jan 23, 2015
Hey all. I was recently reading on the forum about people's battery draining and someone recommended battery doctor. I wasn't having battery issues but figured I'd try it anyway.

I used it for a couple of days and had it close some open programs but I never saw any difference in my battery life. So I deleted battery doctor yesterday. After I deleted it, I realized that I haven't been getting any email notifications. To get any new emails I have to go into my email and hit the refresh button for anything to come up. Does anyone know how to get my email to show up without needing to hit refresh to get it? Also how to get notifications again. Definitely regretting ever getting battery doctor.

The notification box is still selected. I removed my personal email account then added it again and still no notifications. I also did a setting reset (not the full reset where it erases your data, just setting the default settings.) That didn't work either. All that did was delete some contacts that I've had.... that was another plan that backfired.

Upvote 0
I'm currently under applications>application manager>all>email

I clicked on my personal email and changed the sync settings. For the sync schedule I put sync every 5 minutes, turned off peak schedule and also changed "period to sync email" to all. So far has not made any differences.

Can anyone tell me what "push" means under the sync schedule?

Upvote 0
Oh hamburgers! :( I had an SGS5 here up until an hour ago, just saw this, so I can't cross check the difference between our setups - I'm on an HTC. Here's what I see for Gmail, but my HTC mail doesn't have that check box - maybe it's the same for your mail.

1422494733575.jpg

There are two ways to get mail (anywhere, anything) - poll or push.

Poll - the app follows a schedule and goes and asks for new mail. If it's set to check on the hour and it checks at noon, and new mail comes in 12:01, you won't see it until the next check at 1 o'clock.

Push - the server pushes mail out as it arrives in as close to real time as possible.

Implementations vary a LOT by app maker - sometimes push will chew up your battery, sometimes it's a lot more efficient. Depends on the app so you want to watch at first. If no power penalty, most people prefer push.

OK there's a third way that doesn't count lol - you push the button or whatever and force a mail check.

But poll and push are the two automatic ways.

Upvote 0
Are you getting your other notifications for SMS and other apps? Have you checked the email notifications as well? Is it just one email acct or multiple?

Ya I'm getting notifictions from everything except my emal app and apparently my gmail app. I have everything set to "push." I got a random notification and 9 work emails but then after that nothing. I used to be able to hit the refresh button and it would refresh. Now i says "please wait. Checking account...."and does nothing. I got my work emails on my work phone but now my Galaxy won't recieve any emails.

Upvote 0
OK, time for the nuclear option, I think it's best to reset your Dalvik (sorry for the buzzword - it's the thing that ALL of your apps answer to) - and there's only one way if you're not rooted.

Backup everything you can with Helium Backup, free in the Play Store and requires help from your pc.

Factory data reset.

Restore your Helium Backup.

You'll lose some settings and customizations but that will preserve everything possible on an unrooted phone.

And tear out evil hidden under the hood.

Sorry but there it is.

Besides - having a good backup strategy is a good thing. ;)

Reactions: ironass
Upvote 0
Hey all. I was recently reading on the forum about people's battery draining and someone recommended battery doctor. I wasn't having battery issues but figured I'd try it anyway.

I used it for a couple of days and had it close some open programs but I never saw any difference in my battery life. So I deleted battery doctor yesterday. After I deleted it, I realized that I haven't been getting any email notifications. To get any new emails I have to go into my email and hit the refresh button for anything to come up. Does anyone know how to get my email to show up without needing to hit refresh to get it? Also how to get notifications again. Definitely regretting ever getting battery doctor.
I'm having the same issue but its with texts and my bank account app. I uninstalled a lot of apps a day or so ago because they were talking up space and battery doctor(which I never hardly used) was one I removed. Mostly because I had issues with it not letting Spotify play for a long time. I noticed this morning that I didn't receive notification that my pay check was deposited in my bank, a message I get every Tuesday at 10:30 AM. On top of that I receive texts 3 or 4 hours after there are sent to me and none of the issues happens until I tried battery doctor. I've tried everything I can think of short of going back to factory.

Upvote 0
if you have Nova launcher installed, make sure you save a backup of your homepages so that you don't have to waste the time to rebuild all of them. It is worth installing Nova before you Factory Reset if only for this one feature. Nova will import all of your current homepages including folders.

I also use SuperBackup to save all of my data, both to the extSDcard, and emailing it to myself.
You just can't have enough backups.

My phone is NOT rooted, and I personally do not like Helium, nor have I ever been able to make it perform like it is supposed to.
MacroDroid senses Screen off, turns Wifi & Data OFF
MacroDroid senses Screen on, turns WiFi & Data ON

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones