Battery doesn't charge properly when in the redSupport

Last Updated:

1. mmoreimi

mmoreimi Active Member This Topic's Starter

Does anyone else notice this issue on the Dinc? I'm on to my second Dinc and it happens to that one as well:

Once the battery gets in the "red" (i think 10% or 15%) it doesn't start charging at all unless it's been plugged in for 20 - 30 minutes.

Regularly if you charge your battery (from the non-red level) you see the little lightning bolt appear and then you see the progress bar go higher and higher and reset and go higher, higher, etc.... When the phone is in red status, you just see the lightening bolt and no progress is made. I tested this by leaving it plugged in for 10 - 15 minutes and unplugged it and it did not move up 1 percentage point. After 20 - 30 minutes suddenly you see the progress bar move.

This really sucks because once your phone is in red, it takes a while before it starts charging...

I brought my phone to Verizon, had it swapped out and my "new" (refurbed) phone does the same thing.

Searched the forums and checked out google and found tons of battery issues, but nothing like this. Anyone else experiencing this?

Thanks!
    mmoreimi

Advertisement
  2. DizkoDan

DizkoDan Well-Known Member

How are you validating that it's not actually charging? If I remember correctly, the stock battery icon only goes in 20% increments. So it may appear as though nothing is happening until it hits the threshold to go to the next graphic. I'd try using something like battery left widget which will give you a bit more detail on the battery, and should show your actual percentage points rather than just the useless battery charging icon.

3. mmoreimi

I keep monitoring the battery level via Menu-->Settings-->About Phone-->Battery.

Give it a try. Let your battery run into the red level. Before you do that though, review what happens when you charge your phone in non-red level first. Take note of the graphic and the time it takes to charge serveral percentage points.

The threshhold of red is 15% i believe. letting it hit red and IMMEDIATElY charging it for 15 minute or so doesn't pull it out of that RED status.

4. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Well-Known Member

can't say I've ever seen that issue on my or my wife's incredible. As long as the charging light is orange on the phone, it is charging.
    On that note batteries are not like gas tanks where if you use 1 gallon of gas it takes a gallon of gas to replace. Just because your phone decides there is 15% left on the graphic doesn't mean that it's accurate . Your phone does a calculation of voltages to determine how much battery is left which is not entirely accurate either. When you plug it in it does another calculation to decide when it's "charged" (hence the bump charging that a lot of people like to do, to get a "full charge"). So bottom line is just because the graphic doesn't say it's charging doesn't mean that it isn't charging.

5. mmoreimi

Can one of you just try it?
    Let it hit the red and immediately charge it for 10 mins. Take it off charger. Still will be in red. Charge in small 10 min increments and it will never charge.

6. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Well-Known Member

Just tried it, after 10 mins, I was up to 18% coming from 14%, I am also running the new kernel that will be released on the 8th though.