• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Battery doesn't charge really w/USB to computer

lcc337

Lurker
Jul 15, 2010
I rooted my Moto Droid the other day to 2.2. Now when I plug it into my computer, it doesn't seem to charge. Yesterday I plugged it into my netbook and work desktop and it was at 50%. Left it there for a while, came back and was still at 50%. Tried it while mounted and not mounted. Yet, I Plug it into CLA and Home dock all the time and charges fine. Any ideas?

I do not even get it to charge. It shows discharging when it's plugged in with the USB cable. It charges on my Win7 Laptop but on my XP laptop is does not work. I have tried the drivers from Motorola but nothing changes.

btw: What does rooting mean? I am completely new to this. I went from a Palm running windows Mobile to Droid.

Upvote 0
If your XP laptop is fairly old, it could just be that the USB ports don't supply enough power to actually charge it, but will still work fine for data transfer. I know on our Gateway laptop, only certain ports will actually charge our phones.

This^ Also on some newer laptops there may still only be one 'charging' usb port. It still charges much slower than through a wall charger.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones