Battery Door - It Just Fell Off...

Last Updated:

1. anaphora68

anaphora68 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So, I was walking home from work and the battery door on my Droid must have fallen off. I don't know where, so now I have a half naked Droid...

Does anyone know if Verizon stocks replacement battery doors in store, or am I SOL and stuck ordering one?

Advertisement
  2. Hiroshika

Hiroshika Well-Known Member

Enter your location

They have them in my store, i dunno about yours. They do charge a ridculous $10 for them in store compared to the $5 online.

anaphora68 likes this.
  3. anaphora68

Thanks. I suppose I'll wander in tomorrow. Worst case, I can function without it until I get a replacement off eBay.

4. kratos

kratos Back on my throne!!! VIP Member

I was having issues with a loose battery door a few months ago and I told verizon that it had fallen off twice and if I hadn't noticed it, the door would have been lost. There is a known issue with loose battery doors and they should give you one for free (part of your warranty). The new ones are much, much better. I haven't had a single issue since I got a new door.

I would go to your verizon store and tell them what happened. They should replace it under warranty.

Kratos

anaphora68 likes this.
  5. anaphora68

Kratos, thanks! I'll try that tomorrow morning. I don't start work until 10, and there is a Verizon corporate store two blocks from my office.

I bought the phone at Best Buy, but it shouldn't matter. Either way, I'm getting a new battery door tomorrow. It's fallen off a few times, but I normally catch it. This time I was too engrossed in my music.

6. dmodert66

dmodert66 Well-Known Member

Yeah, do try that. At one point it was such an issue, Verizon was giving them away free on line (UP TO THREE!). If you strike out, don't buy one on Ebay. I'll send you one free, but it may take a few days to get there, as I can really only afford normal USPS...

anaphora68 likes this.
  7. FrayAdjacent

FrayAdjacent Well-Known Member

Some of us ordered spares when they were three for a couple bucks. Heck, I've got the three I received still wrapped up in a drawer at home.

8. anaphora68

Dmoder,

Thanks, that would be awesome...I could send you a few bucks via paypal, but I'm not in a rush. Honestly, the fact there is no battery door is not affecting the phone at all, it just feels a bit different.

I'll send you a PM if I strike out today.

9. asilver

asilver Well-Known Member

my friend works at verizon his store gives them away for free under warranty.

might call your local store to see if its avail for free.

10. deronee

deronee Member

Seriously? I went to 4 Verizon stores in NJ and they all told me they were sold out. Contacted VW and they also claimed that they were sold out online and I had to contact Motorola direct. Called them and it was phone reps from overseas. It cost $9.49 with free shipping.

The messed up part is that they wanted my email address and I gave them my gmail account to them but I never received my confirmation number. I call the next day and they say they have a yahoo account when I don't have one. Then I ask them to resend the confirmation number so I can track it but they tell me that they can't because they are only allowed to send one email per order.

What is that all about? Now I can't even track my order because they messed up?

11. sorceror

sorceror Well-Known Member

To prevent this, a bit of electrical tape laid over the soft 'spacer pad' on the inside of the battery cover seems to add enough friction to keep the battery cover in place.

It happened to me a few times, but I always found the cover quickly. Then I got to a restaurant and discovered the cover was missing. When I got back home, the cover was sitting there on the the dresser where I'd placed the phone. I put the electrical tape on and the cover hasn't budged since.

12. Rodeojones

Rodeojones Well-Known Member

Funny. This happened to me yesterday. Pretty sure I lost it while at my daughter's soccer game. I happened to be near a Verizon store and also wanted to check out the X, so I went in. I explained my situation (I, too, had a history of it just falling off randomly) and the guy hardly asked any questions. Just went into the back and came out with a new battery cover. He even put it on for me and, right before I left, he gave me a second one in case this one falls off or if my wife's phone has a similar issue.

On a side note, this guy then showed me a working model of the Droid X (which I wasn't entirely impressed with). I compared it to my rooted Droid and, to equal the playing field, I flashed a 2.1 ROM I had backed up. This totally floored the Verizon guy. He couldn't have been more impressed. I then adjusted my clock speed to match the 1.0Ghz that the X had and this again was an amazing site for this particular Verizon employee. The guy was so impressed with what a rooted Droid could do that we ended up talking about it in great detail. This led to the idea of a "rooting party" which I'll be hosting tomorrow. He and a few of his friends that own Droids are going to come to my house and I'm going to walk them through the rooting process. In return for my assistance they'll be providing beer and food for our little get together.

Someone on Droid-life.com suggested I make t-shirts that say "Will Root For Beer" :D

13. jzsean

jzsean Active Member

[insert cheesy root beer joke]

14. El Blacksheep

El Blacksheep Well-Known Member

Heh, everytime I go into the VZW store I resist the urge to upstage the employees. I just sorta sit back and cringe as I overhear their sales pitches to other clueless customers.

15. Rodeojones

Rodeojones Well-Known Member

That was funny.