Battery Door not flush?

Last Updated:

1. Vegaspilot

Vegaspilot Active Member This Topic's Starter

Hi all, just got the EVO today and it has a build date of 6/22/10 and is V003. Everything seems ok on it (there is a little bit of light leak, but not bad...I inspect a couple of them and they all had the lower screen level with the bezel while the top was recessed slightly) except for the battery door. It seems snug enough and doesn't pop off, but the right side (if you're looking at it, opposite the volume button) isn't flush. It's as though the two lock tabs on that side don't completely engage and you can manage to get a finger nail in there to pop it off. I know its a little OCD, but I don't like it. Anyone else have a door like that? I searched, but didn't see this exact issue. It will stay fairly flush on that side until you snap in the other side and then it lifts up. Should I try to get a new door or just exchange the whole unit? I know it's probably not a big deal, but to me it's annoying. Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. stinkyz

stinkyz Member

Vegaspilot likes this.
  3. suedinaz

suedinaz Active Member

Mine is like that, too. It is frustrating! When I took my phone to the Sprint store to have a different issue looked at and I mentioned the battery door. I noticed their display model had the same problem. I tried a couple other battery doors from returned phones as well as had them bring out a new phone and they were all problematic. Seems to be a build issue. :-( I've since purchased a case for my phone that covers the battery door, so it no longer bothers me much as I can't feel it. It does seem like this should be something they resolve before sending out more units. Overall I'm really satisfied with the phone.

4. Vegaspilot

Thanks for the link. I tried the paper and heating trick and it didn't work too well. I could still lift the right side with a finger nail as the two lock tabs were barely catching. So as a last ditch effort I used my thumb while holding the door near the edge and pushed/bent in the entire side of the cover. It actually snaps on tightly now and is nearly flush all the way around. Only down side is the one side of the cover has a bit of a crease rather than the nice curve of the other side. It's subtle though. We'll see how long it lasts, but for now it's acceptable.

With no dead/stuck pixels that I can see and minimal light leakage I'm hoping thats my only issue. Hopefully the screen doesn't try to lift as its not quite flush with the lower two corners, but I have TEP if it does. The volume buttin is a little wiggly and creaky, but I can deal with that ok.

5. abrookerhs

abrookerhs Member

Same here... battery cover does not close all the way and my volume buttons are not smooth.. they creak and click. Build date is also 6/22.

6. gear.h34d.2012

gear.h34d.2012 Well-Known Member

I'm on my 2nd EVO man, and both of them have/had this issue. I'm just like you, terribly OCD about such things (I mean, if you have a phone like this it should be as smooth and sharp looking as possible.) With my first EVO all I did was fold up two movie tickets and put them on top of the battery and it perfectly solved the issue. With my current one, I just put an Innocase II on it and try to forget about it.

Silly HTC and their poorly manufactured battery doors :cool:

7. RoboMonkey

RoboMonkey Well-Known Member

My third EVO was perfect too bad I bricked it.

8. mityman50

mityman50 Well-Known Member

Yup, same problem here. As soon as I get paid next, though, I'll finally purchase a case (I've had this phone since launch-- NO CASE!!) and then it won't bug me. I suggest the same.

9. Cru

Cru Well-Known Member

I have the same issue. I had a customer drop by and noticed his Evo had a different back and fit perfectly flush. It was a more rubberized rugged looking back and he said his phone just came like that. I found that odd since he purchased it at the same store. I emailed HTC and they said they don't sell just the battery door. I emailed back and said I find it hard to believe they haven't heard of the issue especially since newer ones have a different battery door. I'm still awaiting their next reply.

10. Vegaspilot

I ended up bending in the other side battery door as well. It looks better/unifrom with the light crease running on both sides where the curve is, but mainly becasue the other side of the door started to pop up if you pushed on it now that the right side was latching. With both sides slightly bent down it actually has to spread the latches to get them into the holes and the door is on very tightly on both sides with very if any movement and close to flush all the way around. If you push in on the cover it will lift ever so slightly on the right side, but its hardly noticeable. Only area where it isn't flush now is up by the headphone jack and I'm ok with that as it seems much better all around. Hopefully the plastic retains its shape as the door seems good now.

11. freeza

freeza Well-Known Member

I have a silicone case on mine, so it isn't a big deal anymore. However, whenever I get a chance to play with a friend's EVO, I always pull their battery door and put it on mine just to see if it's a better fit, and if it is, I steal it. :) So far I have replaced two battery door covers in my quest to find the perfect fitting one. And while it does fit MUCH MUCH better than my original battery door, it is still a tad off, maybe a millimeter or so. ONE DAY I SHALL FIND YOU, PERFECT BATTERY DOOR!

12. gear.h34d.2012

gear.h34d.2012 Well-Known Member

I bet your friends love you.

13. freeza

freeza Well-Known Member

They have no idea, and probably wouldn't care, because they are definitely not as anal about things like that as I am. It's a win-win situation.

14. slschmidt76

slschmidt76 Well-Known Member

That would bother the crap out of me. Even with a case on the phone I would know it wasn't right. Had the same issue with my Blackberry Tour. Battery door never fit right. I personally think if you pay all this money for a new phone you want it to be PERFCET....but that's just me.

15. Droidone

Droidone Well-Known Member

I have this issue but its not a problem. As long as I can't feel it, its all good. I am usually really ocd about stuff but that is too small to bother. A nice case will fix that.

16. sitlet

sitlet Banned

My launch day version 2 evo did not have this problem. My replacement I got on the 24th did, and it really bothered me. Anytime i put my hand in my pocket with my phone, I would constantly bee feeling it, and trying to push it down. Yea, I guess I have OCD like a lot of people on here.

I got my 3rd evo the other day, version 3 with the "new" back cover. It doesnt fit on there either.

17. Jonhern

Jonhern Well-Known Member

I did this with about 6 piles of aluminum foil. Works, but before i leave it in there just wanted to know if this would affect reception? only have had it on for about 30 mins and does not seem to be affecting anything, and 3g is working the same. Was thinking it could act as a heat sink.

18. edlex

edlex Well-Known Member

Got mine on 7/1 with a 6/15 battery cover date and it is flush all around. I do wish someone would make spare covers just in case this one breaks from swapping batteries. I do have an innocase on it so I guess it wouldn't matter.

19. edlex

edlex Well-Known Member

I would stay away from metal in that area. Heat sinks are made to dissipate heat but foil may just increase the heat. Better to be safe than sorry.

Jonhern likes this.