• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

battery drain 2.2 update

Also, has anyone tried toggling "mobile data" on/off in an effort to conserve battery life?

I've got 3 main apps that I think are using mobile data frequently:

email -- set to push
Gmail -- set to push
fancy widget -- updates weather every so often

I'm assuming with "mobile data" off, these will NOT update until I turn it back on. That's OK for me cause I sit in front of a computer all day and if I want to check my email, I can do it on my computer.

Am I correct in assuming that mobile data kills EVERYTHING except phone calls/texts? Basically turns my smartphone back into a dumbphone?

Also, does anyone know what the difference is between this and toggling off the "sync" (circle-shaped arrows on widget)? I would think these were the same function. If I had to guess, I would say disabling sync ONLY disables email/gmail/maybe some app sync but leaves available other options (like web browsing).

Is this correct?

Upvote 0
1d 2h 43min since unplugged and 72% left. I think I've figured it out!
Alright man, speak- let the rest of us in on this. I tried Juice defender and it's hard to say. I think a download was running that failed to download and I was in the red at noon one day only but it happened to be the day I installed Juice defender so I uninstalled. May try it again- Since I have the new battery, I seem to be doing very well 16-18 hours on some days with 20% left.

Upvote 0
I too am getting a new battery from verizon. the batt for the SF was out of stock in store, so they are mailing it to me with a self addressed pre-paid envelope. I just have to send back my battery within 5 days. We'll see how it goes from there.

My phone as well as my wife's are not lasting past 5pm on a "full" charge from the wall charger...

New battery did not help at all. Also, phone is having some quarky issues, i.e. screen won't turn on at times, drops calls, etc. Took to store again and they are sending a replacement this week. Think it will help? All this after a factory reset and new battery...I do like the functions of 2.2, but not if my battery will only last until 3:30PM on a full charge...

Upvote 0
After the OTA update my battery like was horrible, forced me to stop background sync and lose real time updates (every time I had to check my mail I had to sync Gmail!! which was really annoying).

Basically this in a nutshell. I can elaborate more later. I'll give you a hint though: Try turning off mobile data for about an hour and see how much your battery drops ;)

Upvote 0
Basically this in a nutshell. I can elaborate more later. I'll give you a hint though: Try turning off mobile data for about an hour and see how much your battery drops ;)

Will try it, do you miss email and weather updates? It is noon and I am at 67% with no use all morning- unplugged at 6:45

Edit: tried it and down another 6% in one hour with no use. Apps keep turning on. I found today that Pandora has used 14% of my battery and I have not turned it on for weeks. I killed it and an hou later it is running again with 10 other apps. Gmail makes sense b/c it is syncing but my alarm clock, trip it, gesture search et.al. have no reason to be on- I think this is the culprit at least in my case.

Upvote 0
Will try it, do you miss email and weather updates? It is noon and I am at 67% with no use all morning- unplugged at 6:45

I think everyone that has battery issues should post a screenie of their battery usage for the day. That would give us a good idea of what the phone is really doing. :)

One other thing to note is that if your cell coverage is very poor, and your phone is constantly searching for a signal, then your battery will drain pretty quickly.

This is a bad day for me. But I streamed a few podcasts and listened to music. I've been without cell signal for 50%, Display has been on (lowest setting) for 50 mins, 36 mins of voice calls and I am at 35% left.

When I don't stream media, I can get my phone to last about 20 hrs with the display using the most juice, being on for around 2.5 to 3 hrs. I only sync Gmail. Background data is on and auto sync is on. I have 3 widgets up and running as well. Display at the lowest setting with a dark background.

You can see how long your phone has been without a signal under the "cell standby" usage, in the battery usage menu. At my previous job site the signal was so poor I'd be without signal for 50% of the time and my battery life would be in the tank.

Upvote 0
New battery did not help at all. Also, phone is having some quarky issues, i.e. screen won't turn on at times, drops calls, etc. Took to store again and they are sending a replacement this week. Think it will help? All this after a factory reset and new battery...I do like the functions of 2.2, but not if my battery will only last until 3:30PM on a full charge...

Replacement phone came via fedex yesterday, new battery that was received last week put in phone, charged all night, taken off charger at 0645 this AM. As of now (943), battery at 70% with three txts received, two sent, one missed call and one app uninstalled. Running ATK....Never had this problem before update. Other than battery life, I love Froyo.

Upvote 0
Went through the instructions here, factory reset after backup with mybackup pro (which cost me ALL of my game status), have turned off VZW location, etc. However, even after complete battery drain and recharge I can't get past early afternoon without a recharge. Game play is a really bad battery drain...Angry Birds uses 1-2% per MINUTE of play.

Generally like the speed and other improvements of 2.2 but the battery issue is a MAJOR frustration. :(:mad::eek::mad::mad::mad:

Upvote 0
I don't know if this helps, but my Fascinate has been off charger for 4 days, 10 hrs, 46 mins, and I still have 50% on battery meter. Phone idle 19%, cell standby 38%, display 14%, voice calls 22%. Granted, I have a Samsung extended battery (and yes, my phone looks pregnant, but I choose performance over looks).

I did a factory reset after update to Froyo, not rooted, have 137 apps, use automatic combination of wifi and 3G, auto sync every 2 hrs (with Gmail, facebook, Accuweather, etc.), use a wall charger when I charge, average 6 texts/day and have about 10 widgets running on home screen.

I hope this info can help.

Upvote 0
Apps on the market- many available- I use Android Optimizer which is a multi tool app that has battery life as one of its functions

Sorry to sort of hijack this thread, but ive been searching for andriod optimizer fot two days now..it seems to have disappeared from the market. Do you if the name maybe changed or just where i can find it? Thanks in advance. :)

**Edit: Nevermind-found it! now called optimize toolbox, apparently. Thanks anyways**

Upvote 0
I am extremely frustrated with this phone. It's like neither Samsung or Verizon acknowledges the problem (it is what it is). So after the 2.2 update I also have had terrible battery life and had to charge it twice a day with minimal use. I tried the battery bump charge, and even did a factory reset (what a pita, had to backup & restore over 150 apps). Still had bad battery life. In my particular situation, I have always left Wifi on, and something must have happened from 2.1 to 2.2 about this. I never set any advanced wifi battery sleep settings with 2.1. With 2.2 I have set it to it When Screen is Off (I was actually going to check the exact option, but I have do do a battery pull because my phone froze up) :( This is not ideal for me because when I am home and have background app updating, it uses 3g (which is weak at home for me) and for some reason it fails when trying to update podcasts in the background (even though i allow it to do so, no restictions when on wifi or power cable). I would really like it to switch on rather than only when waking up when screen is on at home. At work I have a good 3g signal and notice it does try scanning wifi, but it only lasts as long as the screen is on. Ultimately I would like it to work the way it did with 2.1 where I leave wifi on all the time and it doesn't drain my battery when not on my home network, like any other wireless device, including my wife's Apple devices. :(

Upvote 0
My wife has this phone and after the update she is only lasting till 4pm, she is a teacher and uses phone very little durring the day.

Are you guys doing a factory reset by getting into factory recovery? Or has anyone tried just doing a hard reboot without the reset?

She does not have much in the way of apps but the ones she does have has data she does not want to loose.

How do you access factory recovery on this phone? I know on my X as I have it rooted.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones