• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Battery Drain (~ 8 hours of life) 'Cell Standby' problem

nickdalzell

Extreme Android User
Jun 17, 2011
Owensboro, KY
Hello, i've had a SGH-i535 D2VZW Samsung Galaxy SIII for almost a year now, and while it's an excellent phone and is reliable to a fault, i've had a battery drain from Hades for as long as i have had the phone. at first, i figured it's the usual 'Android sucks on battery life' kind of thing, i mean, i came from an iPhone 4 and iPad 3 and i've yet to see the Android tablet or smartphone that can get as much battery time as either one of those (a day or more) so i just let it go. but after seeing quite a few battery stats posts in the CyanogenMod page on Google+ i knew something was odd about my phone. in my stats, no matter the signal strength, 'Cell Standby' is always using a good percentage of the battery, even when i'm using the phone heavily, or if it's just sitting in my pocket doing absolutely nothing. the percentage is always at or above 50%, and is always the top consumer:

This was after 2 hours in my pocket. maximum standby time varies between 4-8 hours when used heavily or 8-12 hours doing nothing.

I have tried:

1. multiple ROMs, some custom, and going back to stock
2. full wipe, format and reflash of the aforementioned ROMs.
3. changing cellular mode to 'global' (in TouchWiz stock, it only allows Global or it dumps me into 'Emergency Calls Only mode' and nags me to re-enable Global)

4. using Wifi instead of mobile data (gives me a paltry ~5% at best--phone is still pretty warm)

5. checking 'time without signal' in battery stats (it's 0%. but there is a CPU keep awake for the same time the phone has been off the charger, so if it's been in my pocket for 8 hours, it shows 8 hours CPU keep awake. not sure how i can stop this without using Airplane Mode and ruining the point of a smartphone, as this is not a misbehaving app, this is a hardware radio that refuses to go to sleep when it should, and only wake when a sync starts. it's on all the damn time)

6. dimming the screen and muting sound (no difference)
7. Power Saver Mode (i'm convinced it does nothing--more a placebo effect. it has done nothing to change the total time i can achieve on the battery)

8. flashed the ZIP that is supposed to fix the 'reporting error' for this value.

is this normal standby time for the Galaxy SIII? is 'cell standby' always being awake, using CPU cycles and being the #1 consumer, normal? even when i'm using that hungry screen? screen is, at best, the #2 user.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones