Battery drain - cpu always in use.Support

Last Updated:

1. Drew5150

Drew5150 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

so I recently had my phone out for a screen replacement at bestbuy(not that this has anything to do with it) when I got my phone back I flashed my nandroid of fresh 3.3. the next day I flashed fresh 3.4. everything seems to work just as it did before, but I now notice the battery just drains extremely fast with out even using it. everything is turned off for the most part, or at least set up the way it was before I sent my phone out.

the only new thing is that I can now get 4g. so I turn on 4g while at work. I play pandora and just let it sit there on the charger all day. I turn off 4g and and QUIT pandora. but it seemed like 4g wasn't ever turning off or something.

I have been monitoring my phone with system panel. and my top used app is system processes - suspend. what is suspend and what is it doing? I would think suspend would use very little battery.

so I'm thinking of going back to fresh 3.3 or doing a clean install of 3.4 instead flashing it over 3.3. anyway I am curious to what this suspend is doing and why. here are some screen shots of my battery usage today. today I did almost nothing with the phone.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

any ideas?

Advertisement
  2. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

no idea what that suspend process is...I would think flashing 3.4 solo as you suggested in your thread makes sense. I had a similar issue flashing over 3.3 and then wiped and flashed 3.4 over it and everything worked much better. for the record I ended up going back to 3.3...it just ran so much smoother than 3.4

3. akazabam

akazabam Well-Known Member

I've never heard of the suspend process, but the issue is explained here with another way to verify that it's the issue:

Evo Battery Tips and Explanations **Updated 12-4-10** - xda-developers

Look at the first tip.

EDIT: What I was referring to, specifically, was the issue where you turn on 4g, then turn it off, and the phone stays awake. I did some more research on the suspend process, and found these threads:

http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-support-troubleshooting/161412-suspend-process.html
    http://code.google.com/p/android/is...nd&colspec=ID Type Status Owner Summary Stars
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=777949

It doesn't seem like there was ever much of a consensus on it, but if you know it's happening after you turn off 4g, that's a documented issue. And heck, maybe the two are related and nobody ever noticed.

Drew5150 likes this.
  4. Drew5150

Thanks man, looks like it is the 4g keeping the suspend running. A reboot and then toggling on and off mobile network always on ends the process.

Its late I'll do some more testing and see what is all going on. I do Also use switch pro widget 4g toggle.

5. akazabam

akazabam Well-Known Member

Typically, the only way to make the issue stop is to do at least a quick reboot. I've definitely had the 4g issue before, but I never noticed the suspend process running like that. I'll be in a 4g area tomorrow, so I'll try it out then, too. I wonder if that was everybody's problem all along, hehe.

6. Drew5150

yeah I can now make this suspend process start and stop at will. I use a 4g toggle and a simple reboot does not end it. I have to toggle mobile data always on to get it to stop. I have yet to try using 4g without the toggle. but from what I am reading from that first xda thread you listed not using a 4g toggle and just doing a quick reboot should end the process.

yeah I think your right. I think this may have been everyones severe battery drain all along.

major kudos for putting 2 and 2 together!

7. afreed1ll

afreed1ll New Member

After reading several threads about the suspend process/ 4g problem, I decided to take the 4g widget off my home screen. When I removed it, I found that there were 4 copies of it stacked on top of each other. I am not sure if this caused any problems but I think I have found issues with the states of two toggles being different in the past.

After finding the stacked 4g widgets, I found many other stacked widgets and icons.

Edit: After removing the extra widgets, my current seems to go back down to normal after toggling 4g.
    One other thought, I saw in one thread that someone had the problem after toggling wifi. I had stacked widgets there as well.

Description of stacked widgets:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=8362921

8. adam28

adam28 New Member

I've been having the same problem except mine is usually associated with turning the airplane mode on and off.

9. Palmetto Fellow

Palmetto Fellow Well-Known Member

This is an interesting thread.

10. enthusiast

enthusiast New Member

Does anyone have any updated wisdom on this issue? It is driving me CRAZY! Mainly happens after I browse the web, then turn the phone on standby. After about 10 minutes this "suspend" issue of the Android OS starts consuming a ton of cpu and battery life. I basically have to reboot the phone every time I browse the web or my battery's dead real soon! I have posted in multiple forums and no one seems to know why, or what to do. Any way we can escalate this to Google so they work on it? I would hate to think that I have to reboot every time I browse the web until we get upgraded to 2.3!!! Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

MT4g, stock.