1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Battery draining 1% every 20 minutes in idle modeSupport

1. Lordbarker

Lordbarker Active Member

Hi all,
    Know there are a few issues concerning the S2's battery life, but just wondered if this is normal. After a full recharge I left my rooted phone (running Litening rom) with the screen off and killerd all apps etc. I've been timing it and it every 20-25 minutes the percentages goes down by 1%. Now I could understand if I was using the phone etc. but it's doing absolutely nothing and the screen isn't even on. So I'm wondering if this is normal behaviour?

Edit: The only thing on is WiFi, but with the screen off etc. should this be draining anything?

Cheers

Advertisement
    :
  2. NZtechfreak

NZtechfreak Well-Known Member

What sync activity do you have running? I usually have 1-3% battery drain per hour with gmail on push and email/weather/parcel tracker/RSS reader/Twitter/Facebook on hourly updating. Probably normal.
  3. Lordbarker

Lordbarker Active Member

None at all as far as I'm aware, I've now turned off Wi-Fi altogether and Better Battery Status app confirms Wi-Fi is off and not using any resources.

Hmm just checked my running processes in settings and Social Hb, Google Services, Golaucher, Email and Maps are running - can I stop these? Or should I get Titanium backup to freeze them.

EDIT: Ok stopped most of the above processes now as well and will check it in the morning - is it worht using Titanium Backup to freeze most of these processes - don't imagine I'll ever use 'Social Hub'!

Also silly, basic question, how do I turn off push on email? Can't seem to find it where I'd expect it be if that makes sense.

Thanks.
  4. Blue1k

Blue1k Well-Known Member

These are main culprits:

Social Hub (freeze both processes)
    IMEI Tracker
    Bell GPS Navigator (if you have the Bell version)
    Wifi Sharing Manager 1.0
    Wifi Sharing 1.0

Made a huge difference for me!
    Lordbarker likes this.
  5. NZtechfreak

OK, if all sync is off then 1% every 20minutes is not right (I had connections off for three hours today because my current work location has basically no cell coverage, in three hours I had 1% battery drain, non-stock ROM mind you).

My suspicion would be the Social Hub, I would try freezing it with TB, Social Hub has been an issue for a lot of people.

Not a silly question at all, its a bit non-obvious. Go to Settings --> Accounts and Sync --> Google account --> turn off Sync Gmail. Within the app you can also have it push only certain labels/boxes to you (for example priority inbox only) if there are some things you'd like to know about straight away.

No problem! There is even a thanks button for that :)
    suchi and Lordbarker like this.
  6. heshanj

heshanj Well-Known Member

wat exactly does wifi sharing do? ive been wondering if i shoudl freeze but iwanna know wat it does to begin with :)
  7. NZtechfreak

Its a new connectivity option - kinda like Bluetooth but transfers happen over WiFi (part of WiFi Direct, or at least I think thats the name for the protocol). If you're not using it then no reason not to freeze it. I don't know of anyone using it at present, but its likely to become more and more important over time I guess.
    heshanj likes this.
  8. heshanj

ah yes, wifi direct. ive seen the option under settings. i was afraid it had somethign to do with using the phone as a portable wifi hotspot, coz i use that a lot. never used wifi direct, so i guess i'll freeze that too, although i dont see it in my usage list much
  9. Lordbarker

Lordbarker Active Member

Cheers guys, I turned off social hub, etc. etc. last night and 7-8hours later only 1-2% used - was clearly the sync programs!
  10. NZtechfreak

Awesome, glad to hear its sorted!
  11. Lordbarker

Lordbarker Active Member

Out of interest I wondered the best place to get a decen replacement battery as well? I know they sell them on Amazon, Play etc. just want to try and get an official one with a good charge - not some ropey knock-off one!
    Cheers again :)
  12. kwazyivan

kwazyivan Member

Did you calibrate the battery?? Its a very necessary step when flashing a new rom!
  13. Lordbarker

Lordbarker Active Member

Hmm, I didn't actually flash it a friend did! I'm assuming he did yeah - how do I go about it, if he hasn't?
    EDIT: Ok just read a few guides and got the Battery Calibration app that can be run at any time. So going to run my phone down and charge up to 100% and run the app to make sure :D
  14. NZtechfreak

Clove in the UK has genuine Samsung batteries, I got my spare from them (and a dock that will charge the phone and spare battery at the same time, its a bit of a cheapy though, I'd probably spend a bit more and get the Mugen one now that its available if I were buying now).
  15. Lordbarker

Lordbarker Active Member

Thanks mate, just calinrated my battery and it's made it much worse! Just dropped 11% in 40 minutes - barely doing anything and Wifi and most bloatware frozen :-( Anyway I can get it back to how it was before!?
  16. heshanj

calibrating battery will just give u a more accurate battery reading, it wont actually worsen ur battery life.. do u have any battery monitoring app u could use? its probably some other app that caused a sudden battery drain.. not the calibrating
  17. Lordbarker

Lordbarker Active Member

That's what I assumed.
    I'm using Watchbog lite and there is barely anything drawing on the CPU. I'm also using better battery stats but can't seem to find anything particular that would be causing it. I've just ordered a new battery so I'll give that a go.
  18. Lordbarker

Lordbarker Active Member

Looking at it again the biggest drain on the battery seems to be 'awake' - does this mean the phone is just generally sapping battery power?
  19. smileyguy

smileyguy Member

I found Touchdown by Nitrodesk was killing my battery. Exchange settings were set to push. I changed to 30 min or 1 hour polling and it's all cool now. I found this out because when I saw my battery usage - Touchdown was using something like 38%!
  20. Antakar

Antakar Well-Known Member

Is it possible to kill Social hub, and other hubs processes, or stop them without having rooted device?
  21. Lordbarker

Lordbarker Active Member

Still can't find the root of the problem have tried everything. Yesterday I got about a days usage - todya after using the battery calibration I have about 5-6 :(
  22. heshanj

nope, to freeze or remove the samsung hubs or other system/carrier apps, u need to be rooted :) go ahead n root ur phone, its very simple. follow this guide, its super easy

thats really weird. ive lost track with this thread, ur running KG5 right? im also getting around 24 hours on this firmware, compared to the 12 i used to get on KG3/6. maybe u installed an app that u had, an app that was draining ur battery earlier? installed anything new?
  23. Lordbarker

Lordbarker Active Member

24. Lordbarker

Lordbarker Active Member

Ok, just did a reflash and put the phone on KG5 along with Lite'ning and still the same prob. I pretty much give up with this phone :(
  25. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

Charge the handset fully, let it 'idle' for a couple of hours then open Better Battery Stats and set it to "Wakelocks" & "Since unplugged". The culprit is likely to be at the top of the list.
    Lordbarker likes this.