Battery draining overnight?

Last Updated:

1. cowana

cowana Member

I always use my HTC desire as an alarm clock. I charge it up before I go to bed (to 100%), then I put it only to flight mode and go to sleep.

In the morning, the battery is usually around 80%.

However, something strange happened last night. When I woke up, the phon's alarm hadn't gone off, and the battery was dead. Looking at JuicePlotter, the battery was 100% at 11pm, then it dropped rapidly, and died at 0% at 3.20am. This strange drop has happened once before - is there any way of working out what might be causing it?

I assume the problam is one of the programs that is causing the phone to not sleep. However, I can not check with spare parts, as the phone has now rebooted (so 'since last reeboot' is no use), and it has been plugged in to charge a few times (so 'since last unplugged' is no use).

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Andrew

Advertisement
  2. LECTER

LECTER Well-Known Member

Rogue app.

Why don
  3. Harry2

Harry2 Well-Known Member

I just read a post how you can look for this:
    Dial *#*#4636#*#* > Battery history > Other usage > Partial wake usage

But I think with a dead phone it's useless :(

Harry
  4. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Yes, these kind of statistics are reset on either shut down or connecting to power.
  5. cowana

cowana Member

My reason for not leaving it on charge is just that my dock is on the other side of the room - and there isn't a plug point next to the bed. I probably should leave it charging.

I'd definitly agree with the rouge app idea - I'll have a look into it to see what could have been running. Interestingly JuicePlotter also records CPU level and temperatue - these both stayed low while the battery level fell.

Andrew
  6. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

It could have been network or screen related then. I assume you would notice if it was the screen.
  7. LECTER

LECTER Well-Known Member

Well then you have to get up to turn it off! ;)
  8. cowana

cowana Member

And that's why I don't want to do that :D.
  9. LECTER

LECTER Well-Known Member

lol!!
  10. Eris Ed

Eris Ed Well-Known Member

Wierd! This is the EXACT SAME thing that happened to me on Tuesday night! Went to bed with 50% charge and woke up 6 hours later with a dead battery 30 minutes after the alarm was due.
  11. LECTER

LECTER Well-Known Member

Maybe you were over at conwana
  12. Moh1336

Moh1336 Member

Is it possible that you had been using an app that drains power (or enough to drain the phone overnight) at some point before bed, used the home button to go somewhere else then put the phone in standby forgetting to kill the power hungry app?

Since pressing the home button only puts what ever is on the screen into the background, it's still running and consuming power.
  13. barneystuta

barneystuta Well-Known Member

EDIT: Apologies, I think you are trying to find what happened retrospectively. I don't think there is a way to do that, not that I am aware of unfortunately. Maybe worth trying JuicePlotter though over a couple of nights, and see if it happens again?

Posted this on a similair topic, about the 3rd time i've posted this today :D But happy to help.

14. speedycolzalez

speedycolzalez Well-Known Member

Systempanel will show you which apps used the cpu over a period of time.
  15. madhatter1689

madhatter1689 Well-Known Member

same thing happened to me and I am suspecting Titanium backup. I had it set to backup this morning at 2.00am and the battery was on 65% when I went to bed and dead as a dodo when I woke up. I wasn't charging the phone at the time and nothing else was scheduled to come on as far as I know.

Having said that I have just run Titanium Backup now [11.28am] and it worked fine and battery only dropped 1%, so either I am wrong or TB doesn't like the night shift :)

Edit: same thing almost happened last night. I woke up to find the phone light was on full, TB had done its business and I had lost 35% of the battery. Been on their website and am going to use an older version and see if that helps.

Edit 2. Tried the older version and it seems to have the opposite problem. It doesn't come on at the time I set it to. When I unlock the screen to check it suddenly springs into action. But at least it turns the screen off properly when it finishes. Will keep you posted.