• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Battery Draining Quickly

UPDATE (Already): I installed MD at 10am this morning. Its now 2pm, so 4 hours. Its dropped 3%. Ive made a call, sent some texts, and fiddled with MD in that time period.

Didnt even restart the phone. Just installed, set up 4 macros since Im still on free, and let it ride. Ill have to check out what to do when Im tethered in the car, but Ill likely just buy the app and set up more macros.

The phone was dying at a steady 6%+ an hour before this. And Ive tried turning off WiFi, but not data. So it must be something with the data. I dont see anything leeching data, but something on the device is trying to do something while its turned on.

Thank you so much for that suggestion! Bandaid, but an interesting fix for now!

Justin

Upvote 0
After doing what many others have suggested, I thought I had pretty good battery life (especially considering I use my S5 much more than I used my iPhone 5). I then decided to root to get access some tasker/secure settings closed settings. I also added Greenify, hibernated some apps like Facebook Messenger and Hootsuite and now my battery is lasting at least 30% longer.

Upvote 0
Well here is my battery report after a full charge, and heavy use each time i picked up the phone. I use a HTPC remote app and smart remote often. As well as camera/video. Especially over Christmas holiday.

I should note again... My battery previously would drain at 6-8% per hour or more. ALL I did was install macrodroid and had it toggle wifi and data.

It was really weird going to bed two nights without plugging the phone in, and I could easily let it go today and plug it in tonight. But I just plugged it in so I can experiment more.

The phone still needs an update. But at least I can run MD while at work when I don't need the phone as much, and shut it off after.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-12-26-08-22-51.png
    Screenshot_2014-12-26-08-22-51.png
    271.1 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes, turning off the radios when they are not needed makes a tremendous difference in battery drain.

Today, I was vacationing thru the mountain roads around Gainesville and Dawsonville, Georgia with our son doing the driving. Me not knowing where we were traveling kept WAZE maps up and running along with Co-Pilot maps running at the same time.

Ended up the day at 41% as of 7 PM here back at the hotel. To me, that is just really great. I worked the phone hard, and had no issues at all with needing to top the battery off during our travels to all of the Antique stores in every town :)

MacroDroid senses Scrn off & turns Wifi & Data OFF,
MD senses Scrn on & turns WiFi & Data ON

Upvote 0
I really need some help with my battery for my s5. I've had it for about 2 months. I don't watch vidoes, check emails, facebook. If I have my wifi on even I'm not using my phone at all, the battery will only last about 5 hours. Without wifi it will last 36+ hours if I'm not using it much (playing games, talking on the phone, reading). According to the battery doctor app when the wifi been on my android system is running at 60-75%, with the wifi off its usually at 2-5%. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Upvote 0
I really need some help with my battery for my s5. I've had it for about 2 months. I don't watch vidoes, check emails, facebook. If I have my wifi on even I'm not using my phone at all, the battery will only last about 5 hours. Without wifi it will last 36+ hours if I'm not using it much (playing games, talking on the phone, reading). According to the battery doctor app when the wifi been on my android system is running at 60-75%, with the wifi off its usually at 2-5%. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I have to go with AZgl1500 up there and say that a quick install of Macrodroid and a couple of short macros to turn off wifi when screen off, and on when screen on worked wonders. I can often go 14-16 hours, calls, web searches, and some Waze, and still be above 80% . 90% if I don't run around a lot. I've also tried turning off the data radio, but it made little difference, so I leave it and BT on all the time. Once every few weeks, some app or another will go wonky and start chewing up the battery. (Staying awake all the time, usually.) If that happens, I just power cycle it and it's happy again.

I also turn the wifi on if it's plugged in for updates/whatever. (Yeah, I know. Asking for trouble, there!) The best part of using Macrodroid is that I don't have to cripple the functionality at all. Tedious to have to do something, but at least it's still fully useful. Wifi's usually up before I finish unlocking the phone, anyway.

Maybe 5.0 will fix this, someday, but, until then, Macrodroid's been a real help. I use the paid version, but this can be done perfectly fine with the free version.

Good luck, hope this or some of the other comments on the site help. Read the last several entries before this to get more info and ideas. Keep on 'Droidin'. Stu

Upvote 0
I love MacroDroid. I have since bought my wife an S5, and for her MacroDroid is super neat. She only answers phone calls.... it is not a toy to play with for any reason.

For her, the battery idles along at 8 to 9 days between charges... shutting off the internet makes a huge difference in battery drain.
MacroDroid senses Screen off, turns Wifi & Data OFF
MacroDroid senses Screen on, turns WiFi & Data ON

Upvote 0
Uninstall Battery Doctor.

http://androidforums.com/threads/pu...k-killers-ram-optimizers-and-the-like.896663/

It's lying to you.

Upvote 0
Okay, haven't posted in a while, but from earlier in this post, was advised to use Battery Doctor, which I thought was working, but when it killed apps, a short time later, I had the same umpteen processes working again... So I read now, get rid of that, and install Macrodroid. I understand disabling the internet and location and data etc while asleep, but will it kill background apps, that may be constantly trying to locate data, or internet, etc...

So, just running for the first time, I see the Screen unlocked trigger, but there is no Screen locked trigger (running premium)

Upvote 0
MacroDroid does NOT kill any apps unless you specifically force it to.

I use it to turn off the internet when our phones are asleep, which stops all apps from calling home to ET and syncing up, etc...

wonderfully easy way to guarantee that your battery will last a lot longer.

I have removed all apps that profess to be "good for the soul", no Battery watchers, monitors, nada.... just MacroDroid to make it go to sleep when I lock the screen.

Labeled Internet Off:
T: Screen Off
A: Data off, disable Wifi
C: None

Labeled Internet On:
T: Screen Unlocked
A: Data On, enable Wifi
C: None

Here is a longer post I wrote for someone explaining in a bit more detail. You will also want to install Disable Increasing Ring

http://androidforums.com/threads/ring-tone-fades-in-and-out.862969/#post6673462

* Disable Increasing Ring - Android Apps on Google Play

Nova Prime, Textra, Blue Mail, Qi wireless equipped

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yep, radios are one thing, tasks are another - here's why you don't want Battery Doctor - http://androidforums.com/threads/pu...k-killers-ram-optimizers-and-the-like.896663/

Yes, and here is another Android Researcher who is listing the Top 10 "kinds of apps" to never install on your phone.

Her comments tie in nicely with your link and post.

* 10 types of Android apps you should absolutely avoid!

Upvote 0
So I should get rid of battery doctor? . Also since installing macro droid though my phone is constantly searching for gps. My navigation apps work fine but something keeps trying to find a gps signal. Constant.

MacroDroid in and of itself has nothing to do with the GPS status.
The only way it could effect it is for you to create a macro that would do so.

Review what you have done, and study the side effects each change would have.

I have learned to dump every thing that is not necessary to make this phone work,
ie all battery monitoring apps, all AV apps....

and today, I learned to live without the internet on my phone..... damn Verizon and Samsung and Google for creating this new mess with 5.0
I refuse to install LolliFLOP
Data and WiFi have been permanently turned OFF until VZW fixes this mess.

Upvote 0
Is there a way to create an exception? I set up the general macro where wifi and data turn off when the screen is off. But if I am streaming my xm to my bt speaker and the screen goes off then a few minutes later so does my stream. Need to somehow male it so that doesn't happen.
you have to have the Premium version which is cheap.
Then you have to use "Constraints" which can be used to exclude a macro running.

I personally have not needed Constraints "so far", just looked at it to see what it can do and said "I don't need this category for what I am doing"

Upvote 0
Wow...i updated to Lollipop 4 days ago and I have had to charge my S5 at least a dozen times. I have tried power save mode, disabling every nonessential app and anything else I can find in the forums.
I used to get 15-16hrs of battery life (6am-10pm) with charge to spare, but immediately after the update my CPU sits maxed (monitored by Micro CPU Monitor) and constantly overheats (GSAM Battery Monitor). The phone went from 95°F to 105°F in 10min with standard use. I only had it overheat one other time in the last year (on my dash in the summer). I hope Google will replace my battery because this abuse of it is going to shorten the life considerably!
See screen shots from the last charge at 4pm to now (10:15pm) all while UNUSED and in powersave mode plus battery at 106°F (a new record for me)!
Screenshot_2015-02-09-16-00-27.png
Screenshot_2015-02-09-22-14-31.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-02-08-21-19-08.png
    Screenshot_2015-02-08-21-19-08.png
    215.8 KB · Views: 95
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones