Battery drains while using car charger....Support

Last Updated:

1. sjf

sjf Member This Topic's Starter

Interesting....I start at 80% battery...insert the Dx into the official moto car dock and car charger...drive using nav for 3hrs and my battery is down to 50%.....

I also stream pandora simultaneously....

I would expect the charger to keep up but it is a losing battle....

Happen to anyone else?

Weird....

-Steven

Advertisement
  2. sund0wn

sund0wn Well-Known Member

that is really strange. does it show that it is "charging"? i would still think it would charge, even with those things going. it should, anyway.

3. sjf

Yes...it is charging... Very strange

4. eL777

eL777 Well-Known Member

I had this happen with my original droid and found out it was because it was getting too hot. When I rearranged the dock so that my air conditioner could get to it, the battery would no longer drain. So, my theory is that the battery gets too hot and can not charge appropriately.

5. tbert

tbert Well-Known Member

Can't speak about the X but I have a friend with an Inc. If he uses Navi. and radio at the same time, his battery drains despite using a car charger. I think it's because the car outlet doesn't supply enough watts.

6. SFWB

SFWB Well-Known Member

I was having this issue when using my old LG charger with my DX. Some research told me that it was <500ma which makes me think it just couldn't keep up. I was using navigation and bluetooth at the time.

7. Zog Bog

Zog Bog Active Member

When I called about battery problems one of the first things the tech support guy told me was that Verizon was advising X owners not to rely on the car charger for recharging.
    Which was admittedly was a wtf moment but I didn't press him for more info because it was unrelated to the problem.

8. yahooeu

yahooeu New Member

I heard about this problem from Magelan GPS forum - When your device directly on sun and battery getting hot - it stop charging (they design this way - afraid that it can explode). So, we have to live with that and somehow avoid overheating. Do not blame tech support.

9. lexluthor

lexluthor Well-Known Member

I had my X and Vibrant plugged into a dual car charger yesterday and the X was draining while navigating.

I think I was at least holding even when it was just the X plugged in.

Also, it seemed as if I kept the screen off, the charger could better keep up.

10. cvfd13

cvfd13 Well-Known Member

I am having the same problem. I went by the local VZW store and they ordered me a new X. They say it is a hardware problem. I have a release day X.

11. gsxr600

gsxr600 Active Member

Well the car charger doesn't charge very fast at all.
    And I found out it doesn't charge fast enough to matter once it goes dead. Once my phone goes dead, I can't charge via laptop or headunit in the car. Have to use a regular outlet.
    So I would say it just doesn't provide enough charge? I'm sure you can charge it with some modification though. My buddy runs his laptop and phone from an outlet in his car. Heavy duty laptop too, 17 inch screen gaming laptop with a regular droid. Then again his car has 6 batteries for his competition system, so it may just be theres enough power to the stock outlet. Could see if theres a way to increase the ampage (sp/ct?)

12. sjf

really? ordered a new Dx? hmmmm.... I may have to investigate this....
    do tell us when you get your new X if it still happens.

13. OrderFromChaos

OrderFromChaos Well-Known Member

Most stock car chargers limit the current to 0.5A, which is the same as the USB port on a computer (when configured else it's 100mA). The wall charger that comes with the phone is rated at 850mA. I would recommend a car charger that is stated for at least 1A, even then that is not continuous. Your buddy is probably using an inverter in his car, but keep in mind most of the USB ports on those inverters are 0.5A as well. Personally, I went with a 2.1A charger and it's worked out great so far. They are hard to find, but almost anything that lists iPad compatible is probably around the 2.1A mark.