• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

battery facts. deal with it.

kjjb0204

Android Enthusiast
Aug 22, 2010
Just don't get the complaints. Battery technology hasn't advanced at all recently. It has a certain capacity, and it is what it is. Yes, I'm going to use the car analogy. A 15 gallon gas tank is still the same tank of gas whether its on a civic or an f150. Its the engine and vehicle that will determine how far that 15 gallons will get you. The tb is a powerful phone with a big display. Don't think for a second you will get even close to same runtime as you would on a smaller less powerful device with the same 15 gallon tank. If you want the longer uptime, get an extended battery and deal with the size. I much prefer to stop at the station and fill up more often and really enjoy my phone. a ferrari just won't go as far as a camry on the same gas tank. Unreasonable to even expect it to come close.

Yep, I can see that, but there has to be a compromise between form and function. You wouldn't hang a big ol tank off the back of a ferrari. At least I hope not. Anyhow, I think if they made it bigger as stock, it would make the whole device too thick for most. Could you imagine an iphone user walking around with some giant hump on the back for a battery? Nope.

Upvote 0
Just don't get the complaints. Battery technology hasn't advanced at all recently. It has a certain capacity, and it is what it is. Yes, I'm going to use the car analogy. A 15 gallon gas tank is still the same tank of gas whether its on a civic or an f150. Its the engine and vehicle that will determine how far that 15 gallons will get you. The tb is a powerful phone with a big display. Don't think for a second you will get even close to same runtime as you would on a smaller less powerful device with the same 15 gallon tank. If you want the longer uptime, get an extended battery and deal with the size. I much prefer to stop at the station and fill up more often and really enjoy my phone. a ferrari just won't go as far as a camry on the same gas tank. Unreasonable to even expect it to come close.

Was it really necessary to start a new thread to say this? Why not just post your opinion in one of the many existing threads discussing battery life?

Upvote 0
Yep, I can see that, but there has to be a compromise between form and function. You wouldn't hang a big ol tank off the back of a ferrari. At least I hope not. Anyhow, I think if they made it bigger as stock, it would make the whole device too thick for most. Could you imagine an iphone user walking around with some giant hump on the back for a battery? Nope.

Design it better. An extra 100 MAH DOES NOT INCREASE THE DIMENSIONS OF THE PHONE. Droid X did it, Samsung Fascinate did it, Droid 1 and 2 did it, HTC CAN DO IT.

The OP's post is pointless.

Upvote 0
lol more excuses. The battery is insufficient for the phone. Its as dumb as putting a 2 gallon gas tank in a Lamborghini.

All the fanboys will be saying "gas technology hasn't changed" or "if you want 600hp you're going to have to fill up often.".........all the meanwhile ignoring the fact that they could have put in a bigger gas tank to make it more functional.

Or maybe should that lamborghini owner carry around in his drunk gallons of gas for when he runs out every 3 blocks because thats what you guys are suggesting with all these extra batteries. lol

Upvote 0
I have no problem getting through a whole day reading probably 10 emails (when I'm away from the computer), sending 3-4, sending/receiving ~20 texts, ~20-30 mins on the phone and checking a social media app a couple times.

The GPS and especially 4G really eat the battery. When I got the EVO, it would be at full charge when I went to bed and 20% when I woke up ~7 hrs later. Once I turned off 4G and GPS it would be at 80-90% instead of 20%. With this phone, I'm not in a 4G area and haven't turned on the GPS, I wake up with it at 90%.

Other than 4G and GPS, people have to consider the other factors that may drain more battery than normal:

-One of the largest, brightest screens and most power you'll typically find in a phone. If you're constantly on it running intense apps, it's going to use that power potential beyond what most phones can do pulling more power for the processing and to run the large, bright screen.

-It's a new phone, so you're likely on it more. Playing with new features, customizing it and setting it up. Once the newness dies down, it will level out more.

-It isn't a huge battery. If you're a power user with such a powerful phone and large screen and refuse to get off GPS and 4G, you're being unreasonable to expect all day use unless you get the large hump back battery.

I have no doubt 4G will become more efficient and battery friendly. With processors however, it's a race of two goals, power, and life... power will be winning that race for a long time with battery life trying to keep up just as it has with laptops. When I owned my laptop company that sold laptops with 20" LCDs, Raid and SLI graphics, it took everything we had to come up with battery management system that even had the power to boot up while on battery. It amazed me people who tried to game on battery with everything enabled expected more than 1.5 hrs of battery and would complain.

Upvote 0
I live in a 4G area. In fact all of south east florida is so basically anywhere I go is 4G. This isn't a bad thing.......or so I thought. Turns out in 4G its only a phone for a few hours, a paperweight the rest.

No way to turn off 4G is ridiculous. Then again I shouldnt have to since the battery should be expected to last all day regardless. Heck I'm not even asking 24 hours, 16-18 hours would be great. This phone in its wildest dreams couldn't do an acceptable 18 hours with this sorry battery

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones