• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Battery full notification driving me insane

shinryu

Lurker
Nov 15, 2012
Hey all, I'm having some trouble with the notification that pops up when the battery is full.
I keep my SGS3 on at night, docked and charging, as I use it as an alarm clock.
What happens is that when the battery is full the screen comes on really bright and plays a notification sound (the same sound as when you plug it in).
I've found that setting notifications volume to zero overrides this, but the screen still comes on. It's bright and noisy enough to wake a person from sleeping, and as a result for the past week I've been waking up around 5 a.m. because of this.
I've found this started happening since i upgraded to Jellybean.

The really HILARIOUS thing is that blocking mode won't silence this, even though it's considered as a "notification" - you have to set notification volume to zero even when you're silencing all notifications with blocking mode.
I could do that, but then the whole point of blocking mode is moot. I don't want 2+ clicks when I could have one.
I could also lay the phone on its face, I think that works, but I have a dock, paid for it, and would like to put it to use.
I could turn the phone off, but I don't have a landline for emergency night calls, and I don't want to buy an alarm clock when the phone works perfectly well as one.

Unless I'm missing something obvious, it seems a really glaring flaw.
Anyone else experiencing this?

Hey all, I'm having some trouble with the notification that pops up when the battery is full.
I keep my SGS3 on at night, docked and charging, as I use it as an alarm clock.
What happens is that when the battery is full the screen comes on really bright and plays a notification sound (the same sound as when you plug it in).
I've found that setting notifications volume to zero overrides this, but the screen still comes on. It's bright and noisy enough to wake a person from sleeping, and as a result for the past week I've been waking up around 5 a.m. because of this.
I've found this started happening since i upgraded to Jellybean.

The really HILARIOUS thing is that blocking mode won't silence this, even though it's considered as a "notification" - you have to set notification volume to zero even when you're silencing all notifications with blocking mode.
I could do that, but then the whole point of blocking mode is moot. I don't want 2+ clicks when I could have one.
I could also lay the phone on its face, I think that works, but I have a dock, paid for it, and would like to put it to use.
I could turn the phone off, but I don't have a landline for emergency night calls, and I don't want to buy an alarm clock when the phone works perfectly well as one.

Unless I'm missing something obvious, it seems a really glaring flaw.
Anyone else experiencing this?

install and use lightflow ...has selectable notification... (none)?
mine is quiet when batt is fully charged now.

Upvote 0
I have an S2 and I know the sound files can be deleted/replaced with a dummy file, should be the same for the S3. Requires root.
Not sure about the screen setting though, mine does that aswell if I charge the phone directly.

Alternatively, you could get the official battery charging box/cradle combo and charge a 2nd battery while using the other is in the phone, the box doesn't make a sound, the little red led just turns green when the battery is charged. And the phone can sit in the box's slot freely.

SA-887.jpg

I am now on a quest to find which of the S3 chargers is the real one, or if there are two, as I have found one which has a glossy, smooth surface with silver/white Samsung branding (pictured), and one that has the 'rough' style plastic finish (like a wall charger) with the Samsung branding pressed into it. hmmm..

edit 2: There's also a Samsung box cradle that swivels and has a plug in the slot, looks very similar :/ lol

Upvote 0
Just charge it full and before you go to bed unplug it. The battery will only drop 2-3% overnight. That's no big deal. That's what I do. I rarely use my phone that late at night so I just charge it while I read a book or watch tv and when I go to bed I unplug it. I don't see any problem with waking up to a 98% battery compared to a 100% battery.

Upvote 0
I use mine as an alarm and bedside clock. With the clock turn the brightness down all the way in it menu. When you go into the bedside clock mode it is a dark screen with a little blue at the top. After a minute or two the time moves around the screen to prevent burn-in. Mine does not make a sound when fully charged either with or without using the clock.

Upvote 0
Just charge it full and before you go to bed unplug it. The battery will only drop 2-3% overnight. That's no big deal. That's what I do. I rarely use my phone that late at night so I just charge it while I read a book or watch tv and when I go to bed I unplug it. I don't see any problem with waking up to a 98% battery compared to a 100% battery.

Sorry, but that's not the point. Yeah, I could do that, but it's simply an extra inconvenience to work around an issue that should never have existed in the first place.
What if I'm out all day and get back home late? I don't want to wait for my phone to recharge before I can go to sleep.
What if my phone is at 20%, it's evening, and I want to use it without having to plug it in?

If the phone needs to be charged every one or two days, it makes sense to leave it charging at night and to use it by day. I don't want to make time for charging my phone when it can do that while I'm sleeping. Especially when every other phone ever made doesn't do this.

This is incredibly stupid on Samsung's part. I was perfectly happy with the stock ROM, I'm probably going to root now.

Sorry if this sounds like a p*ssed rant (it is), I really appreciate all the responses, but I can't believe this is an issue.

Reactions: RJB
Upvote 0
My screen does turn on when fully charged. Supposedly this is done to remind you to take it off as you are not supposed to leave it on the charger after it is fully charged. but the screen doe turn off automatically after a minute (I assume it's because i have screen auto turn off after non use) and it does not make any sounds when it turns on and off.

Upvote 0
Mine has also started doing this. I used to have a similar problem on my htc desire hd, where once it was charged .... It seemed like it stopped charging , however it would lose a bit of juice and then start charging again, which is where the charging notification beep would happen ... Just wonder if the same is happening here .... Although, confused why it has just started doing it after not doing it before

Upvote 0
Sorry, but that's not the point. Yeah, I could do that, but it's simply an extra inconvenience to work around an issue that should never have existed in the first place.
What if I'm out all day and get back home late? I don't want to wait for my phone to recharge before I can go to sleep.
What if my phone is at 20%, it's evening, and I want to use it without having to plug it in?

If the phone needs to be charged every one or two days, it makes sense to leave it charging at night and to use it by day. I don't want to make time for charging my phone when it can do that while I'm sleeping. Especially when every other phone ever made doesn't do this.

This is incredibly stupid on Samsung's part. I was perfectly happy with the stock ROM, I'm probably going to root now.

Sorry if this sounds like a p*ssed rant (it is), I really appreciate all the responses, but I can't believe this is an issue.

I have the same issue, the screen turns on after full charge and stays on for god knows what reason. Whoever programmed this need to have their head examined, because it leads to screen burn ins and disrupt people's sleep.

After a long search there's two threads that seem to have a actual solution instead of "oo turn it upside down" or "dont leave it charging at night". seriously those are NOT viable solutions to this problem. :(
Both threads involve modifying system files.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1070506 (page 14 for steps)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1770698 (I cannot locate /com/ folder so no go.

i'll try the first one later tonight..

Upvote 0
Hmmm yeah I see what you meant. I charged mine again and I noticed mine doesn't make a sound at all when it finishes. I'm on Verizon. Maybe their version doesn't make a sound. I saw somebody else said their Verizon S3 is silent. The screen on mine comes on when the charge is full and the notification light turns green but that's it.

Upvote 0
I have the US T-Mo version & the screen comes on after charging, but then turns off after a relatively short period of time (minute maybe, never timed it).

The screen coming on & not turning back off sounds like a potential mistake in the OS for some versions- I've never had a phone that would let the screen stay on indefinitely under any circumstance unless you had enabled it as a setting or you are in some kind of recovery outside the Android OS. Pretty crappy.

Upvote 0
Hi, I know this a bit of a necro, but I was having this problem myself and this thread was the one that Google kept throwing up so I thought I'd register and let people know how I unwittingly solved the problem.

I'd downloaded the sound manager app to set the notification sound down to mute at night, which worked but wasn't ideal as the screen kept coming on and staying on. I then decided to try and save my battery life by disabling some of the pre-loaded apps I didn't use. Lo and behold, the night I disabled the apps the notification stopped and hasn't been back since!

I don't know which one it was and haven't chased it down, but I disabled the following apps and it was one of them:

Samsung account
Samsung apps
Samsung backup
Samsung backup provider
Samsung browser Sync adaptor
Samsung calendar Sync adaptor
Samsung Cloud data relay
Samsung Contact Sync adaptor
Samsung Sync adaptors

I've not noticed any adverse effects from disabling these, (I can live without the Samsung app store, it seems worse than the Google store anyway) and as a side effect my battery life did improve with all that disabled.

Hope this helps anyone else being driven mad by this terribly annoying 'feature' in what is an otherwise excellent phone!

Upvote 0
Well that was disappointing. I may have been too hasty with my declaration of disabling the above apps 'fixing' it. Despite three nights of zero notification, (and I know it didn't do it as twice I watched the red LED turn to green without lighting up the screen), last night I was woken by a 'beep' and screen lighting up at 1am!

I'd gotten too complacent about it being fixed and not ensured the notification sound was off, but it was all I could do to not throw the phone across the room! The screen did go off after a few seconds though.

I have no idea about fixing it now, can't understand why it didn't go off for 3 nights and then did. Can only think it might be a charger/socket problem somewhere. Thanks for the app posted above, but it's not for S3 and it looks like the sound manager app does the same thing. I'll just have to keep it face down, or try digging into how to delete the relevant code.

Upvote 0
I had to join this forum just to chime in about this annoying issue/feature of the galaxy s3's display staying on after fully charged. This never happened to me until recently and it also seemed to slowly do it more and more as time went on. Now, basically every time it has a full charge the display stays on with a second battery icon in the top left corner along with the usual one in the top right. The charge status also now notes to disconnect charger from phone.

I've gotten myself to ignore this, however, what I have learned to be too annoying to ignore is once this occurs, the auto time out setting for the display no longer works. If I don't turn off the display, it stays on!!! Very annoying!!! I have to reboot the phone in order to correct it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones