• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Battery habits

tpottebaum

Dec 17, 2009
Hi everyone,

If I were to begin charging my phone mid-day when my battery's at about 40%, would it hurt the battery? With my older phones (and current laptop), and I had always heard that it was bad to charge a battery before its near-dead and even worse to unplug it before it was at 100%.

Thanks!
Ty

Am I right in thinking though its a good thing now and then to totally drain the battery then fully charge without unplugging or is that just a myth?
BatteryCare - Proper laptop battery usage guide

In lithium-based batteries this is in fact a myth, it only applies to older Niquel-based batteries. So fully discharging and charging the battery is completely useless and even harmful as we will see below.

The modern lithium battery can be charged regardless of its current percentage, given that it has absolutely no negative effect in its performance.

Upvote 0
Am I right in thinking though its a good thing now and then to totally drain the battery then fully charge without unplugging or is that just a myth?
It's not a myth. While it will in fact cause the life of the battery to shorten very, very slightly, it is required to do it once in every 30 charges in order to recalibrate the gauge which measures how much charge is left

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones