• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Battery has had it....

donmeca2020

Dec 17, 2010
Hollywood, Florida
hey guys, it's been a long while since i last posted. anyways im approaching the close to 2 years of me owning my note 4. bought it when it was first released. in the beginning battery life could or would last almost 1 to 2 days.

Fast forward to now after unpluging from being charged over night this battery i feel is on it's last leg.... it's at the point that after having a full 100% charge i use it briefly for a call and immediately 5 percent or more is gone. i then left it in my locker at work at around 89% and when i came back the battery life had dwindled down to somewhere in the mid 70s.... currently as i type this the battery power is at 59% from today.i literally was afraid to use more today because i had felt this thing would die on me like it has numerous other times while im at work within the past 2 months.

On a regular basis since the last 2 months when browsing the web during free time at work or wherever. the phone will shut off at around sometimes at 70ish percent and sometimes it'll die out at an even 60%. i then get to the point where i had to remove the battery from the phone so it'll stop trying to restart.

So after doing a complete reboot of the phone starting everything from scratch, it helped somewhat but not enough, i also tried ordering a new batter from samsung however it was backordered so i canceled it.

My question to all of you is what are some battery options available that should rectify this problem and won't cost an arm and a leg, also i won't need to throw away my current phone case due to the fact the new battery is too large for it any longer.

Also do you guys think the phone is going bad or is this just a case of the usual bad battery on a note 4 that i have heard so much about.?

Whew !!! thanks for reading guys. all your guesses and info are much appreciated.

My question to all of you is what are some battery options available that should rectify this problem and won't cost an arm and a leg, also i won't need to throw away my current phone case due to the fact the new battery is too large for it any longer.
I bought a 2nd battery and charger a while back and there is a noticeable difference in the standby time between the new and old one.
The Note 4 is definately not done once the battery has gone!
The charger and battery I got was this one........
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0...+4+battery&dpPl=1&dpID=41Jt04pNTOL&ref=plSrch
But I got it at least £10 cheaper, the price fluctuates up and down.
I must say after using 2 batteries I probably won't go to a phone with a sealed one, one usually lasts a day but there is always one charged if I've had a heavy days usage :)

Reactions: javamann and KOLIO
Upvote 0
I was told per a samsung rep that the batteries for the note 4 are backordered everywhere...
That rep must be new on his/her job. No need to make this matter into a major project. All you need to do is order an OEM battery and when it arrives, take a fingernail run it along the seam of the back cover to remove it, pull the old battery out, put the new battery in, snap the back cover back in place, and you're done. No glue, no fasteners, no clips involved.
... and just to add yet another source:
https://www.amazon.com/Original-Sam...687528&sr=1-5&keywords=samsung+note+4+battery

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
Define everywhere.......................
Does that include the two links given?
No,it doesn't & I don't get the defeatist attitude.
If you don't want to replace the battery,or,for your phone to work better,far be it from me to stand in your way.................
Whoa whoa whoa.... slow your horses. i never ever said i didn't want to replace the battery, if i didn't then i wouldn't have came onto here to ask what would be the best option. as for your link you gave me. thank you im curious as to why it's so cheap? last few sites that i checked including samsung themselves they were about $20ish i believe.

Also now after buying this, will this battery have the same lifespan of the original which has been almost a year and a half or was that just a problem with the first batch of batteries for the note 4 ?

That rep must be new on his/her job. No need to make this matter into a major project. All you need to do is order an OEM battery and when it arrives, take a fingernail run it along the seam of the back cover to remove it, pull the old battery out, put the new battery in, snap the back cover back in place, and you're done. No glue, no fasteners, no clips involved.
... and just to add yet another source:
https://www.amazon.com/Original-Sam...687528&sr=1-5&keywords=samsung+note+4+battery

Yes of course, as i said in my original post i had to remove the battery that came with the phone numerous times to it just dying out on me numerous times.

Is a OEM Samsung battery the best option though? i've seen some people on other forums rant about aftermarket batteries but some of them add a ton of bulk to the back of your phone.

Upvote 0
Is a OEM Samsung battery the best option though? i've seen some people on other forums rant about aftermarket batteries but some of them add a ton of bulk to the back of your phone.
That's pretty much a judgement call and based a lot on what you expect out of your Note 4. OEM batteries are the safest option although maybe not the optimal one. If you want a higher capacity battery you'll probably be paying more and some do increase the thickness of your phone. Another option is to just get an OEM battery, along with a good external battery.
http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-usb-battery-packs/
In any case I'd avoid shopping for any battery based on price. Non-branded, discounted batteries are made under lessor quality control standards with substandard components. At best they just don't last as long, at worst they could damage your phone -- some bulge out when they fail, some leak electrolyte fluid, some short out causing enough heat to burn up inside.

Upvote 0
That's pretty much a judgement call and based a lot on what you expect out of your Note 4. OEM batteries are the safest option although maybe not the optimal one. If you want a higher capacity battery you'll probably be paying more and some do increase the thickness of your phone. Another option is to just get an OEM battery, along with a good external battery.
http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-usb-battery-packs/
In any case I'd avoid shopping for any battery based on price. Non-branded, discounted batteries are made under lessor quality control standards with substandard components. At best they just don't last as long, at worst they could damage your phone -- some bulge out when they fail, some leak electrolyte fluid, some short out causing enough heat to burn up inside.

thank you sir, one last thing if anyone can answer this. i see there are 2 different samsung batteries available. not sure if it matters or not but which one is better? one link given to me shows that it is made in Vietnam, the other China. does it matter?

Upvote 0
my, my! This seems like a very major decision. Just make sure you got it right.

JM

lol i just want to make sure i get the better one.... no need to waste money on something that'll have the possibility of dying out or malfunctioning a week after i buy it.

I'm really in need of one now, my phone has literally died on me 3 times today !!!! 3 times, im fed up and ready to buy one today.

Upvote 0
Just one thing to note about batteries. Not all support NFC, particularly the cheaper OEM batteries are really bad for this. So, if you use this feature, be sure to take a bit more care when selecting your battery replacement.

Personally, I just went through this myself since my phone was dying at about 40%. I selected an OEM battery from Anker and found it to be OK so far (although some people have reported problems with them). Here is a US link for you.

Good luck...

Regards,
Eric.

Upvote 0
Well apparently that was it just now... the phone has finally went out for good. it died a few times today, and i was able to recharge it and it was working fine. now all it's doing is basically just restarting over and over again. hopefully this is the problem of the battery, if not i guess i might need a new phone already :(

Weird. I assume you popped the battery out, then in before you tried to charge?

Upvote 0
Think about also picking up an external battery. They're relatively inexpensive and whenever your phone's battery might be running low it's only slightly inconvenient to keep using it with an external battery attached. Also, it's not necessarily money spent on just your current phone as you can keep using it with your next one.

Upvote 0
Think about also picking up an external battery. They're relatively inexpensive and whenever your phone's battery might be running low it's only slightly inconvenient to keep using it with an external battery attached. Also, it's not necessarily money spent on just your current phone as you can keep using it with your next one.
Far easier to buy a second battery and wall travel charger, just keep the spare battery charged up and in a jiffy bag in your pocket, takes up less room and only takes a few seconds to change it, I've done this for years, also gives you a spare battery if one packs in. Phil

Upvote 0
Far easier to buy a second battery and wall travel charger, just keep the spare battery charged up and in a jiffy bag in your pocket, takes up less room and only takes a few seconds to change it, I've done this for years, also gives you a spare battery if one packs in. Phil
Right now all im hoping for was this was the battery that killed my phone and not a malfunction of the actual phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones