• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Battery Help from the gurus

I've got the 1500mah battery installed in my incredible and at one time I could go almost a whole day without charging. Now, I can barely make it from 7am (unplugging) to noon without hooking it back up. Then I'm ready for a charge again by 7pm....this is ridiculous. I'm not running an app killer currently, but I've tried that and didn't see any better results. I have battery left on my phone and with a full charge it shows an estimated 7 hours...WTF! Anyways, what do I need to check for from you guys to find out what is killing my battery.

Check your up time and awake time. If you haven't been using your phone and these two have very similar times, then something is keeping your phone up.

Also consider what kind of user you are. If you are a heavy user, then you need to take that into consideration. Also consider how you are using your phone. For example, using your dinc for 3 hours browsing the web will use less battery than 3 hours of streaming music via online radio. There are a lot of factors why your battery numbers are not going to match some of the posted numbers or even your previous experiences with the battery.

One question, is your 1500 battery HTC or ebay?

Upvote 0
To check if your device is not sleeping go to:

Menu>Settings>About phone>Battery

You will see Up time and Awake time

If they are the same then your phone is not going into sleep mode when you turn the screen off. If the times are different then you have to see what the Awake time is (remember it). Turn off your screen and wait a minute or so. Wake your phone and go the the battery screen again (should still be there if you didn't back out) and see if the Awake time has increased or not. If the Awake time has gone up then your phone is not going into sleep mode. It could be a rogue app or could just need a reboot.

First thing you should do a reboot and test it again. Most of the time that will take care of the phone not sleeping. If that doesn't fix it, I would start removing suspect widgets first, then rebooting and checking again.

Upvote 0
Check your up time and awake time. If you haven't been using your phone and these two have very similar times, then something is keeping your phone up.

Also consider what kind of user you are. If you are a heavy user, then you need to take that into consideration. Also consider how you are using your phone. For example, using your dinc for 3 hours browsing the web will use less battery than 3 hours of streaming music via online radio. There are a lot of factors why your battery numbers are not going to match some of the posted numbers or even your previous experiences with the battery.

One question, is your 1500 battery HTC or ebay?

HTC battery

Upvote 0
up time is 119:41
and awake time is 102:29

I don't use my phone much though. it stays in my pocket usually. How do I find out what is keeping it awake as I think that is the cuplrit. As far as reboot, do I just power down and back up or do I pull the battery like I did with my blackberry?

Thanks

Wow yea something is seriously keeping your phone awake....I'm not a mathmatician but > ~85% of the time your phone has been on it has been awake. My numbers tend to fall around ie. 20hrs uptime and 3-4 hours awake. Just reboot no need to do a battery pull like BB. Also try system panel or spare parts to get a more detailed view of what app/s is/are keeping it awake so much. gl!

Upvote 0
Hello all,

I found something while troubleshooting my up time=awake time issue I have been having that I am sure has been killing my battery life.

The culprit for me, believe it or not, is that stupid HTC Footprints app. I do not use it, have it active, nor a widget for it running anywhere - I honestly don't even know what it does. It shows up under "Inactive (Cached) Applications" in SystemPanel.

I was going through killing apps/processes one by one until I found the culprit and I can re-create this 100% of the time. Once I kill Footprints using SystemPanel my Awake Time reports as it should (the actual time I spend using the phone) until I turn the phone off and back on, which starts up all the HTC crap, including Footprints.

Now this is a pain in the arse because I have to turn my phone off every morning to "bump charge" it, then remember to fire up SystemPanel and kill Footprints. Anyone have a solution for this short of rooting and removing Footprints?

Upvote 0
One change I made that seemed to help me get to one full day of use... many times longer than that is going under menu>settings>sound and display>screen timeout

I changed this from 60 sec. to 30 sec. and it was a noticeable difference in battery life.

I see a lot of people suggesting this and saying it has helped them a lot, and I believe them, but I have trained myself to just turn off the screen anytime I set it down and have my screen timeout set to 2 minutes. I hate it when I'm actually using my phone and the screen goes off on me all the time and I have to bring it back up.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones