Battery helpSupport

Last Updated:

1. LKNDY81

LKNDY81 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I have an HTC hero and my battery seems to go down very quickly. Like 8 percent in 20 minutes... however when charging like it fits so i use it this maybe a voltage problem but. Within 8 to 9 hours it is only at 80-86 percent charged... please help

Advertisement
  2. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

Hello LKNDY. I've moved your question to the HTC Hero troubleshooting area for you.

You may need to calibrate your battery to your device by allowing it to drain completely then fully charging it a few times. There are other, more elaborate methods of doing this, but merely draining it to a black screen and then charging should take care of how the device sees the battery levels, giving you a more accurate battery meter. This happens naturally over time with usage and charging cycles, as long as you're not always "topping" the battery (which is ok as long as it's calibrated to the phone for accuracy, topping does not harm a Lithium-Ion battery as it does a Nicad).

Eight percent battery loss seems a bit more than normal, but not really excessive, depending upon usage during that 20 minutes. If no usage other than what you have configured to update or sync in the background, then you may have an excessive battery drain issue.

First check to see if apps are updating by looking at things such as weather and news apps menu configurations, etc.

Also, very fast battery drainage can be caused by a "sync loop," if you've got gmail, facebook and other syncing configured to auto sync.

Auto sync should not cause quick drainage, but sometimes that loop will occur and the data and caches for all synced apps need to be cleared in menu > settings > applications > manage applications.

After doing that, reboot your device and reconfigure each app because clearing data removes your personal settings.

If this does not remedy the problem, you may have a defective battery.. and that means replacing it.

Good luck. Please post back about how things are going.

3. LKNDY81

I just drained me battery and charged it fully. The battery appears to be working quite better. I'm. Going to do the sync loop fix.. is their anywhere I can set gmail to search for new emails hourly.? Thnx.

4. LKNDY81

Ahhh today it was right back to norml the battery was awful running out like crazy please help

5. LKNDY81

Ok. Anyone that has an HTC hero and frequent awful lag along with battery. Listen up.... go to settings accounts and sync. Switch the auto sync off. Then click back ground data to turn it off. This increased responsiveness by about 150 percent. No joke. And increased battery life about 50 to 75 percent... now if you have the standard clock with weather. You will have to update it more often. And once a day go to accounts and sync and select sync all. This will BY NO MEANS fix lag fully. But it helps like I said about 150 percent... message me to tell me how its going...

6. peterc10

peterc10 Well-Known Member

I do not think that is the cause of your problem. I have both of those ticked and have had from first getting the phone. And with both Android 1.5 and 2.1 my battery usage is much better than you have stated. And it only takes about 2 or 3 hours to fully charge from low.

What was the phone doing in the 20 minutes it lost 8%? Was the screen on watching a movie or doing some other power hungry app (I find sat nav eats up the battery in no time)? If not then I suspect you may have a defective battery.

Also what charger are you using? Is it the HTC one or another? Low output may explain the time it takes to charge.

7. LKNDY81

Over the 20 minute period my phone was mainly sleeping.....

8. LKNDY81

It's becoming extremely annoying and I really need help. Things like auto sync fix it temporary

9. peterc10

As I (and Frisco) said in my previous post it sounds like a dud battery. Have you changed it yet or is this still the same battery? You do not need to switch off auto sync etc, as, if the phone and battery are working OK, you should get a reasonable battery life. For example I have had mine on standby overnight and it is still showing 98%

You could get HTC's battery widget from the market, which indicates the "health" of the battery but I am not sure how good that is at picking up dud batteries.

How old is your phone and does it still have a warranty? If so then I suggest you get a replacement battery from the supplier.

10. LKNDY81

No warranty is out but i will take it up to Alltel to see what I can do...thnx

11. peterc10

Before you do that I suggest you check what a new battery may cost on fleabay. HTC are selling them for

12. LKNDY81

Generic would be fine? Like it has to be the battery cause today I took it off charge at 8:30 this morning and it was dead by 3pm.. and I wasn't using it to its full potential or even close... when i get my new battery how long should I leave it on charge.. then do i take it off and let it run completely dead?

13. peterc10

I don't know whether generic will be fine! Depends how good it the generic battery you buy is. There is more of a risk when buying a generic one than when buying one from HTC, but you pay less. The choice is yours.

Leave it on charge until the charging light turns from red to green, then it will be fully charged and you can start using it. It should be a li-on battery so should not need to be run down several times, but there is no harm in doing so if you want over the first couple of weeks. Suggest you followany instructions you get with the battery.

14. groggy

groggy Well-Known Member

i too am having this problem...although not as extreme but , last night my battery was at 50% when i went to bed and dead when i got up 6 hours later!
    i have to charge it every day with out fail.
    i deleted some apps today like sky sports news app and sky news app ...will this help ? do they updae on their own in the background?
    i also now only have the weather app syncd , will that help?
    and the last thing i have done is turned background data off , what will this do?

thanks

edit: before i posted this thread and made the changes my battery had lost 21% in 4 hours after just sending a couple of texts

15. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

I did hear recently that the Sky apps drained a lot of your battery.

I believe that option allows apps that you aren't using at the time send/recieve data. I'm not sure how much that would affect battery life.

groggy likes this.
  16. groggy

groggy Well-Known Member

cheers xyro. i will see what happens today