Battery Hog Radio

Last Updated:

1. anoniemouse

anoniemouse Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

For those of you using or updating radios, the following version seems to drain the battery faster 32.47.00.32U_5.10.05.23
    On xda it has been mentioned & i can confirm from my own experience that it increases battery drain by 80%, use one of the earlier versions if possible.

Advertisement
  2. teppic74

teppic74 Well-Known Member

It's never quite that simple. A ROM is designed to work with a specific radio, that's why they're distributed together.

(People, even devs, on xda often ignore that)

3. anoniemouse

This is true but surely this looks like one to be avoided unless of course the rom can't use an earlier version or maybe wait for a newer version, also with the battery life some people are getting they will be lucky to get a couple of hours.

4. teppic74

It'll depend on the ROM version. I'm sure that for some people that radio is fine... It could be that if you're on the standard WWE ROM (2.09 or 2.10) it's bad.

5. anoniemouse

I had the battery drain using it with AuraxTSense 7.6.1, i always try to use the latest radio available as normally it's an improvement over older versions.
    I also noticed on some of the roms that the devs are also advising dropping to the earlier versions too.

Still in this case i bow to your greater knowledge of these things, but at least people will be aware if battery life has decreased drastically then the radio may be at fault.

6. teppic74

AuraxTSense 7.6.1 is based on 2.10.405.2, so you should ideally use 32.44.00.32U_5.09.05.30_2.

7. anoniemouse

Thats the one i am using getting the same battery life now as i was using neophyte 1.7.1 with the same radio

8. kboya

kboya Well-Known Member

I have been using this radio with DeFrost 4.3 (untouched download, no modules) with both set cpu and autokiller running, and have had battery life of max 6 hours for the last couple of days, with very light use (and I do mean very light). Last night I went from a full charge at 11pm to a dead phone at 7am with all settings as before. I am still trying to get to the root cause, but I am far from impressed and have also read a number of threads with devs and those with more knowledge than I saying it is a battery drain.
    Anyways, the jury is out:p
    k

9. anoniemouse

Myself i would try a slightly older radio & see if the rom works ok with it, then when the next radio comes out try that.

10. kboya

kboya Well-Known Member

well, it seems that it may be more to do with the DeFrost rom than the radio (most likely the interaction between them, but odd as it is the recommended radio); the battery life is greatly improved while testing the BETA (0.9.20) version of MIUI, with far higher usage in terms of calls/texts and mobile data.

11. anoniemouse

Normally over night from 11pm till 8am from full charge my phone only drops by 2%, but last night using that new radio my battery dropped by 11% from 2am to 8am this morning.
    Switched to a slightly older version & with 7 phone calls of a total of 30 minutes & 30 minutes of playing games, looking at the net 25 mins & generally messing round with the phone the battery has only dropped 25%.
    This is about normal for me as i normally get between 2 & 4 days per charge.