1. Welcome to the newer, better version of Android Forums! Be sure to see the announcement and enjoy checking it out!

Some of you have been having login issues. - Please try now. Sorry for the trouble!
  2. All attachments uploaded on the first day of this new look need to be re-uploaded, or will appear broken. All prior to that, and all going forward, should work fine. We apologize for the inconvenience!

Battery Improvement with custom ROM?

1. ktalley

ktalley Member

Since VM has this phone on sale for $19.99, I was considering getting one (or two) for media/MP3 players (ONLY). However, the battery life has me a bit concerned. Obviously, I would have GPS, data, and (usually) WiFi turned off. Would this phone be suitable in this scenario? I'm curious as to whether running a custom ROM (i.e. Harmonia 2) improves the battery life at all (I currently run that on my Optimus V and get great battery life).

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement
  2. Digital Controller

Digital Controller The Real Bass Creator Guide

First off welcome to the forums :)

Secondly, a custom ROM most definitely will improve battery life. They usually just make the device more efficient. I know with stock ROM on my GNex i would get maybe 6-8 hours, but with CyanogenMod i get 12-14...so i love it :)

It all sounds like a good idea.
    ktalley likes this.
  3. divinebovine

divinebovine Well-Known Member

What kind of battery life are you looking for?

I have a second Venture that I use unactivated mainly to play Slacker. I haven't bothered worrying about power management and I have auto-dim / auto-off disabled, so the screen stays full brightness until I turn it off. I generally use it for an hour at a time but sometimes go a few hours and have plenty of battery left.

For just playing audio with the screen off and wifi/etc disabled you should get decent battery life, even with stock ROM.
    ktalley likes this.
  4. Dracable

Dracable Well-Known Member

keep in mind, even with the custom rom, the battery life is short if u do a lot of web stuff. there is definitely an increase in battery life from the custom rom tho. i recommend the ics themed rom by curtis for the time being. him and i did deeper testing with that one, and we removed a lot of unnecessary apps which gave even better battery life, and dramatically increased the internal storage available. i am also in the process of developing a rom that will include some battery tweaks to further the life longer as well. for 19.99, u cant go wrong for a new phone that can be rooted and developed on! i paid 40 for mine, and i was so happy with it that i bought my gf one, and also bought a spare JUST for development and testing! overall, great phone. order a spare battery for a few bux if u r concerned. its still worth it at the price! ;-)
    ktalley likes this.
  5. Dracable

Dracable Well-Known Member

also, if u are willing to part with the "sync" settings on top of the others mentioned, ive found a whole lot more battery life out of the venture with that turned off.
  6. sunsuke

sunsuke Well-Known Member

night time mode to red
    dim the screen
    data, wifi, sync, off
    setCPU - under-volt , power saver

that should help save the battery life on the phone

if you a person who surfs the web and uses the phone none stop u should get around an hour or hour half
    if you just let your phone be i think it should last 1 day

I usually have sync, data on but wifi off
    no dim screen, do profiles in setCPU.
    night time mode = green
    my phone usually last through the entire school day