• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Battery info not updating

sharksfan7

Android Enthusiast
Aug 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
An odd issue has popped up for me in the past few days. I have a widget on my home screen that brings up the Battery Use screen and it no longer seems to be updating properly. If I bring up the screen and note the time on battery then come back later, the time will not have changed. Hitting refresh won't update it. If I go to Settings>About phone>Battery>Battery Use, the time on battery is accurate. It's only when I access the info through a widget on the home screen that it's wrong.

I've tried two different battery widgets and the same issue happens with both. I tried deleting the widgets and adding them again. I've uninstalled the widget apps and reinstalled them. I tried clearing the data for each widget app. The issue still persists.

It would seem the widgets are just a shortcut to Settings>About phone>Battery>Battery Use, but for some reason they are accessing old data. Has anyone else experienced this? Any ideas on how to resolve it?

I see in ClockworkMod recovery has an option to reset the battery stats. Never used it, but perhaps it can fix your issue.

Yeah. I was going to try that if I can't find another solution. My thinking is that since the the info is accurate when I go to it through the settings those stats are fine and the widget is accessing some other data cache. Probably off base on that though. I did try clearing dalvik. That didn't help. Will try clearing cache, but the only time I've done that is when I'm doing a full wipe to flash a ROM so not exactly sure how that will affect everything if I leave the current ROM. And if I delete the battery stats, I then need to drain my battery completely and I try to avoid doing that.

Upvote 0
Are you aware that your phone naturally has a battery usage shortcut key thing? personalize>shortcut>battery use. The icon looks a lot like the Sense Battery widget (the one that tells you the battery level and information).

I noticed it doesn't always update if I don't have background data on, even if I hit the refresh key. If you have that setting ticked, untick it and try it that way.

Upvote 0
Are you aware that your phone naturally has a battery usage shortcut key thing? personalize>shortcut>battery use. The icon looks a lot like the Sense Battery widget (the one that tells you the battery level and information).

I noticed it doesn't always update if I don't have background data on, even if I hit the refresh key. If you have that setting ticked, untick it and try it that way.

Thanks for the input. Yeah, I've tried that shortcut as well. And after a time it also will display old info. It seems no matter what shortcut I use, the battery info that is displayed most often is wrong. Only by going through Settings>About phone>Battery>Battery use is it accurate every time.

Normally I have background data on. I'll turn it off and see if it makes a difference.

Oddly I just started noticing this in the past couple of weeks. Before that, any widget I used worked fine every time. But I guess with app updates and new app installations, something got messed up. I'm not going to go through a reset and build it all from a fresh flash for this. I'll learn to live with going through settings if I need the info. But if I can find a fix that would be great.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones