battery is actually better than everyone says...General

Last Updated:

1. prightup2

prightup2 Member This Topic's Starter

The battery bars...are just different. Its Green then orange then RED. At RED I got a warning 15% battery left. In my job Im famous for having to plug-in mid conversation. 15% is alot IMHO. (i did not use 3G..it was all wifi / speakerphone...and mostly simultaneous.
    (my 6800 did this too)

I used this phone as my PC/phone for about 16 hours straight. Its still not dead, it was not fully charged when i started. I did everything but BLUETOOTH.

I had the HTC 6800 for the past 3 years. (windows mobile/stylus). Decent phone for the time. Full keyboard and stylus. Battery life is similar in my usage.
    (note also have own and use religiously ipad touch since they first came out.)

The INCREDIBLE...is pretty amazing to me. YET probably only slightly better than other 2.1 droids.

1. The touchscreen (after calibration) was better than expected.
    2. The keyboard is just as good as my old phone with a real keyboard.
    3. Gmail/messaging/contacts all worked as expected.
    4. AS a phone it is outstanding. As a smartphone it was incredible.
    5. youtube app works but...dissapointed that i could not watch web flash videos/netflix or others...android issue not phone issue.

over all awesome...but everyone said battery sucked...Yet I did not kill it.

thought i would dismiss concerns i did not stop applications or turn anything off....

Advertisement
  2. gbenj

gbenj Well-Known Member

Thanks, we'll have to see what we get.

I'm also coming from xv6800, and didnt need someone to tell me its gonna be an upgrade, but good to be in the same boat as someone else.

3. prightup2

For clarification...From HOME

push MENU/SETTINGS/ABOUT PHONE/BATTERY
    (notice this battery meter is broken into 10 different cells)
    I have two cells left in RED (20%). front of the phone shows 1 sliver of red like its going to die.

NOT Battery usage..this will always add up to 100%.
    Has nothing to do with how much is used just a break down of what is using what. Android at 95% does not mean it used 95% of the battery. it means that what little it is using to operate at that moment Android is 95% of the small usage.

Phone just showed a new start screen asking me to plug in. (pick of a battery with a small red line at the bottom)

Phone is still kicking-playing music-surfing web-making calls.

I can't believe the reviewers that dogged this over battery.
    Battery life is fine IMHO. The software interprets battery life in
    a responsible manner. I clearly know Im pushing it. my 6800 gave me the old 5 mins to get plugged in.

Im in the electric car biz we talk about how to display battery life. I dig the conservative aproach. And love that it warned me 4 hours ago.

Battery rocks for me.

4. prightup2

Just read that Android 2.2 will come with FLASH. Awesome...takes care of my lonely gripe with this phone.

Just got a new PLEASE PLUG ME IN message. 9% battery left.

This is not the end all phone. It's way better than my 6800.
    I think it is probably only slightly better than other droids.
    Speaker phone rocks on this. Clarity and Loud.

On my second Day with it we are growing on each other. Also for all u battery haters...give it some props this thing recharges pretty fast.

5. rushmore

rushmore Well-Known Member

Why could you not watch Flash vids? Flash lite 4 is Flash 10 compliant. Just certain sites are blocked (Hulu) on purpose by the provider. All video content (not blocked) should work, but hi res will choke since no GPU support until full Flash 10.1 is released.

OldSmoky likes this.
  6. r5a7b

r5a7b Active Member

To the OP -

Did you charge the battery fully before turning the phone on or do anything else? Just wondering what steps you took before using it...

7. prightup2

Well i can name several different sites that the vids do not play on.

Nothing seems to be blocked...im on the real sites not the mobile crap. (wifi)

There is a setting to allow flash...i have it allowed...everything acts like the vids about to play but then...nothing...

8. prightup2

I plugged it in for 45 mins then started using it.

9. rushmore

rushmore Well-Known Member

Strange. I have Flash Lite 3.1 on my Archos 5 and it plays just about any video I have tried, except Flash 10 content. About 90% of the sites work great. Better than my N900, in fact :(

Not the same thing though as Inc, since Archos 5 is same chipset as Droid (N900 too) and uses Opera as the browser.

Update: Quite a few reviews point out Flash vid sites works too. Attack of Show showed their own site working on the Inc and that is hi res content like IGN.

10. prightup2

are u using the mobile web sites or the real site.
    Some of the mobile sites have different content and normally use older compliant codecs i hate the lame mobile sites for most applications. (i unchecked used mobile sites in the browser)

I did just play a video off a friends facebook page...that worked fine. Everything in the youtube app looked awesome...friends vid was similar quality. HMMM

Just got the You Must PLUG in NOW 4%.
    On the front screen the battery turned RED Looks like a 2 segment half battery thing. And phone continues to plead with me.

Okay i kinda need my phone not to die today so..gonna have to charge...
    UPTIME 22:48:50
    Wake Time 18:16:34

No battery problems here just an aggressive battery reminder.

11. ShiftLft

ShiftLft Well-Known Member

Coming from a 6800 that I've had since January 2008. Sounds like there's a couple of us in the same boat. Since oh, Summer of last year pretty much all of the buttons on the bottom of the phone require gorilla strength to press which makes taking pictures with the center chrome button really enjoyable.

12. Texag94

Texag94 Member

I'm also coming off of the xv6800, since July of '08. Unlocked and DCD ROM since 8/08. It's been a good phone, but I'll be very relieved to get something with more than 64MB of RAM....

I suspect this will be like going from a 386 to a Core 2 Duo.

13. aw1974

aw1974 Well-Known Member

Where is the calibration for the touchscreen on the menu? Did you find that it wasn't that accurate before calibrating?

14. prightup2

So the calibration is really to calibrate you. It asks you to type a phrase and then adjusts the center of the touches u made.

I was previously getting the key to the left of the key i tried to get. After calibration it was good. I did the calibration single handed which is how I normally type (phone flopping around in my had while my thumb is flying)

HOME/All Programs/Language and Keyboard/Touch input/Text Input/Calibration Tool (there it asks you to type the "quick brown fox"..I typed as fast as i resonable can..i missed alot..but thats how i text. it calibrated to ME and walla I'm happy.

aw1974 likes this.
  15. vtchaser

vtchaser New Member

anyone know how long to initially charge the inc before the light turns green?

16. prightup2

so from dead to Green was 3 hours plugged into the PC(usb)....I will do it again plugged into the wall tomorrow....I was using it the whole time..

Battery NOTE:
    Also...I live in San Diego..I did turn off the weather service...and my battery rocks...I did not do this specifically i just chose a homepage that does not use weather...I Chose a custom one..that does not have much on it...cause thats how I like it.