• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help battery is indirectly worse on froyo due to lack of task killers

ccoager

Mar 12, 2010
My battery has never been worse since upgrading to Froyo. I don't use an auto task killer but I did use SystemPanel to manually close applications once in awhile. Now that I can't kill tasks easily, I just let everything run to see how it would turn out. I'm not saying the battery life is horrible, but it is noticeably worse now. I realize users experience will vary based on how many applications they have installed and running. I have not installed any new applications since Froyo. Anyone else seeing the same trend?

i deleted ATK and only have system panel on there to check out whats going on (which is funny because everybody bashed ATK bc it was always running, and now as far as I can tell, system panel is always running too)

my battery left widget has me at 9 hours of total batt life....whereas with 2.1 i was at 18 hours. yeah. not liking this.

Upvote 0
My battery has never been worse since upgrading to Froyo. I don't use an auto task killer but I did use SystemPanel to manually close applications once in awhile. Now that I can't kill tasks easily, I just let everything run to see how it would turn out. I'm not saying the battery life is horrible, but it is noticeably worse now. I realize users experience will vary based on how many applications they have installed and running. I have not installed any new applications since Froyo. Anyone else seeing the same trend?
If you go into the phones settings > applications > Manage applications and hit the Running Tab at the top, you can force stop any running app. Perhaps not as convenient as ATK or System Panel but it works.

Upvote 0
I have found this to be an issue as well. I have read all of the "let linux do its job" threads and articles and understand that android is not supposed to need task killers, but I am getting significantly less battery life with 2.2 with the same amount of daily usage as I had with 2.1 and a task killer.

Have any developers made any 2.2 compatible task managers or task killers yet? For me using one would be worth a try, even if it can get me somewhat closer to my previous 30+hrs per charge on 2.1 with my seido 1750mAh. I refuse to believe that 12 hrs on a charge is the best froyo can offer.
(I charge completely then power down and bump charge the final 20% every time I charge)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones