• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Battery Issue ID'd? - not charging long enough

Cloudtech

Jul 6, 2010
To all those who have battery issues....

How long do you charge your battery for?

Check this out:

Saturday night -> Sunday - charged phone for 7 hours

Sunday - about 18-19 hrs of battery life - moderate usage

Charged from 6pm sunday night to 4am monday - (10 hours on charger)

Monday -> Tuesday - 38 hours of battery life - moderate usage

Charged tuesday from 1030pm to 4am wednesday (6 hours on charger

Tuesday - 16 hours of battery life - moderate usage.

BOTTOM LINE: I think the phone says it is charged way before it actually is full. Let me know if anyone else is having the same issues....

I think it has more to do with battery conditioning than anything else. I have NONE of the issues people have been reporting. But I also make sure to let my phone almost die before I charge it, and when I charge it I try to charge it fully. Doing this conditions the battery to accept the full charge. I know, lithiums aren't supposed to have that problem, but I find my battery is much better for doing so.

Upvote 0
To all those who have battery issues....

BOTTOM LINE: I think the phone says it is charged way before it actually is full. Let me know if anyone else is having the same issues....

Cloud you make a good point. There may BE a "chip" or software setting or something that makes the popup message tell us it's charged. Maybe that popup isn't set correctly? Hell if the GPS has problems, its entirely possible the battery-charging software has problems too. If I still had mine I'd definitely spend time to help see if you're on the right track with that.

Upvote 0
Radio,

Thanks! - Yeah I suspect that there may be something wrong software wise.

Rob, I have conditioned the battery twice and working on my third as suggested by our fellow board members. I've always done the calibration period on my devices.

What boggles my mind and leads me down this path, is the fact that I got near super powers out of my battery when I let it charge for a longer (10 hours) period of time....I know that there IS a chip in there that prevents "overcharging" so I am not suggesting the battery is hold more than its capacity..

Anyone finding similar results?

Upvote 0
I Can tell you with certainty that the calculation behind battery power is horrible. I would not be suprised if it is in fact reporting charged when it's not. There is a chip to prevent over charging but that doesn't mean it's prompting correctly. I generally charge my phone overnight so that could account for it too.

Upvote 0
One thing I've been doing, that I've done since my original Moto DPC550 back in 1992...
When the phone reports that it's fully charged, unplug it for 30 seconds or so and plug it back in. It will charge for a few minutes before reporting that it's fully charged. Do this again and it will charge for a shorter period of time and so on.
I've always felt that phones report a full charge before it's actually charged.
In fact, I know older phones were programmed to report full charge at about 90% capacity, at which time it would switch to a trickle charge to finish up.
The advent of Li-Ion and LiPo batteries have negated the need for this but you still have to wonder.

Upvote 0
In line with the "maybe the software is misreporting when it's fully charged and stopping too soon" theory, I find that:

1) If I charge for 8 hours with the phone on, it reports as 100% with the little pop-up window ... I unplug it and within a few minutes the phone is back down to 97% or 98%.

2) If I charge for 8 hours with the phone off, then unplug it and turn the phone on, it stays at 100% for a much longer time period. (Although I usually follow this up with about an hour of plugged-in, phone on charging "to top it off" before I leave the house.)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones