• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Battery issues are making me pissy

honeynajar

Lurker
Apr 7, 2014
I have a model I717. I've had it for about a year. It has suddenly started having battery issues. It will have just come off the charger and have a 100% charge. In the midst of posting something on facebook or sending a text message it will shut off then attempt to restart - but the low battery noise will happen and it will shut off again and this process goes on until I can get it to a charger. This will happen within 10 minutes of taking it off the charger. It will only take 20 min or so to recharge - but will lose battery immediately after removing. I uninstalled facebook and reinstalled it to see if that was the problem. Still happened. HELP!

Sounds like one of two issues:

A dendrite in the battery. This is piece of dirt that got into the battery during manufacture. It grows a crystal that shorts the battery, shutting off the phone and burning out the shot. It's a factory defect, and should be covered under warranty, but since the battery is considered a consumable, I doubt any dealer would replace it under warranty.

2) The battery wasn't used properly (conditioned when you got the phone, almost never discharged below 30%, usually not below 40%), and it's about gone. Normal lifespan is 18-24 months, so you cut the minimum by 6 months by draining it too deeply too often. (Overheating it can also shorten its life.)

The good news is that a stock Samsung battery is $7.50 (check Amazon).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones