Battery Issues... gone?

Last Updated:

1. skinien

skinien Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Well I've had my phone for 5 days now. It seems that the super fast draining of the battery is no longer an issue. The first two days, the phone couldn't go 14 hours without being charged after little use.

The only thing I've done differently is use Advanced Task Killer. I'm not sure how much that really helped because the battery status never really showed many apps hogging the battery (most of the battery was being used by Display and Cell Idle).

I wonder if letting the battery cycle (discharge and charge) a few times get's the battery going in its full potential. Any electrical engineers out there that can confirm this as a possibility ;)

Either way, battery is no longer really an issue. Now about that GPS...

Advertisement
  2. mckooter

mckooter Well-Known Member

my battery seems to be getting much better as well. all on its own, i have been using TasKiller since day one, havent really changed anything major but it seems to be holding a charge much better, same story for a buddy of mine at work with the tmobile galaxy s.

p.s. i have not let it cycle yet, (as i am well aware that with li-ion batteries there is no memory)

3. simulator

simulator Well-Known Member

Ditto. The last two days they are easily making it to bedtime with juice left despite fairly heavy days of use.

4. CaCHooKa Man

CaCHooKa Man Well-Known Member

my phones been unplugged since 1 pm and its now 7:20 pm and im only down to 64%. the battery lifes been improving with each passing day.

5. mouseslinger

mouseslinger New Member

This morning I unplugged my phone at 6am, 100% battery. It felt warm in my pocket all morning. No calls, just a quick change to some email settings. At 11am I checked and it was down to 20%. By noon it was dead. Had to run home to get my charger to make it through the day. Worked fine the first few days.
    When I checked the Battery Use 70% was taken by Android OS.
    I uninstalled all third party apps and rebooted. Charged back to 100% by 4pm, unplugged and left in my pocket. By 6pm it was down to 61%, Android OS was still the main battery hog.
    At the moment it's running cool again and numbers look normal. Don't trust it to get me through a work day, now.

6. jmreed97

jmreed97 Well-Known Member

I'm not an electrical engineer so I don't know why but my last 3 smart phones (Motorola Q, Samsung Jack, and Now the Captivate) all started with very poor battery life. Couldn't make it through a day even with very little use. By the end of the second week I could easily go two days without a charge.

I figure the batteries need a break-in period of sorts.

7. CaCHooKa Man

CaCHooKa Man Well-Known Member

do you have anything automatically syncing in the background? i turned off everything that automatically syncs and it improved my battery life immensely.

8. itami

itami Member

From what I read in another thread(lost the link), that's how these li-ion batteries work. They need a few cycles to "settle in" and start to perform the way they're supposed to.

9. thejtl

thejtl Well-Known Member

I've had much better battery the last two days as well. I ratcheted down the amount of stuff syncing a little, but usage has stayed the same, if not more. Maybe we're rounding the bend?

Be nice if a Samsung lurker came on and told us we were getting everything we hoped for... and a pony, too.

10. Simba501

Simba501 Well-Known Member

Something definitely isn't right.....you should examine your settings. What do you have automatically updating and how often (how many email accounts and how often do they update?). Check running services for anything that could be impeding the battery. I would bring the screen brightness down, lower the time for screen timeout, disable window animations, and disable haptic feedback (unless you specifically like/want it). It drained from 100% to 61% in just 2 hours?? And it was just in your pocket?? I strongly suggest you peruse some battery threads. This morning I unplugged around 815am or so and 3 hours later, mine was STILL at a 100%.

11. gtg465x

gtg465x Member

Time to reset your device. Something is seriously screwed up.

12. DaMajorPayne

DaMajorPayne Active Member

i just did a test on my phone it lasted about 32hrs after being fulled charged with little to no use basically checking a few things on the market place and a few google searches and this is without a sim in the phone. I dont know if this is good or bad for a smarthphone since im coming from a sony ericsson.

13. SamsungVibrant

SamsungVibrant Well-Known Member

The reason you guys have horrible battery life the first few days is because of 1 little simple fact. When you first get your phone the first day, you are soooo excited, and you use that sucker non stop. You never put your phone down, so you drain that battery like crazy. You try every function on the phone. By the end of the week, you are over your initial "oh wow look at my new phone phase" so by then, you aren't glued to your phone 24/7, thus the battery magically appears to have gone under some magical transformation to suddenly last longer. The truth is, you are just using your phone less.

14. mckooter

mckooter Well-Known Member

I do see your point here. But in my case (as well as my friends) the battery is very clearly lasting longer, its not a matter of the usage, its lasting several times longer even in standby. not sure the issue, but its definately not a perception based upon how much im using it

15. ZDroid1

ZDroid1 Well-Known Member

Exactly what synching stuff are you guys disabling? There is no option for me to change gmail sync intervals, not that I can find anyway. I'm using the gmail app, not the email app.

16. colnago

colnago Well-Known Member

Not the case with all my smartphones' "extended" and "additional OEM" batteries. All additional batteries took a few charging cycles for the battery/battery meter to normalize. I was well past the "oh wow" phase.

FWIW, Seidio states that it will take a few charging cycles for normal operating performance in the directions it ships with their extended batteries.

17. jmreed97

jmreed97 Well-Known Member

I've taken that into account and not focused on those first few days... My phone battery is lasting longer with the same amount of use.

18. gflare

gflare Well-Known Member

While your explanation is logical, this is not the case with mine at all. When I first got my phone I was on a week-long trip to the beach, and barely used my phone much at all. Now that I'm back at work, I've been using my phone much more (let alone installing apps & testing out the GPS issues all the time).

I've seen a lot of increased battery life regardless of how much I attempt to use the phone. I had more than 50% battery after a full day yesterday, which would never have happened last week (even if I never did anything but autosync, a few texts, and like 2 phone calls.

19. nbarsotti

nbarsotti Member

I noticed a HUGE improvement in my battery life by setting the WiFi sleep setting to NEVER. I am always in a wifi spot and using the lower power wifi radio for data instead of the power hungry 3G helped tremendously.

20. Simba501

Simba501 Well-Known Member

Oh ok, I assumed you were using the stock email client. Well think about what automatically updates, then either disable some of it, or decrease the frequency

21. NOSintake

NOSintake Well-Known Member

My battery seems to be doing well also. Turned the brightness to auto, set my wifi sleep policy to "never", and turn my wifi on (when near a connection clearly). Really helped alot. Went from 7am-11pm and had 20% battery left.

Same can't be said for 3G though. Went from 6:45am-6pm and needed to charge it. Now I can't fault it too much, because where I work, I'm basically in a dead zone for cell service, so these numbers are likely to change this weekend (when I'm home, and can test better). YMMV but I'm happy so far

22. MarkPharaoh

MarkPharaoh Member

Where is this WiFi sleep policy on the phone? I did not see such an option while browsing through the Wireless and Networks Settings.

23. Regalicious

Regalicious Well-Known Member

Autobrightness kills my battery life in comparison to min brightness (obviously)... I've been running min brightness for the majority of time I've had the phone since it's very visible everywhere except in direct sunlight and I decided to try auto today and it's draining like a mofo haha (mainly because at work there is ample lighting so it's setting itself at a fairly bright level)

24. jgcalderonperez

jgcalderonperez Active Member

My battery is doing great now! Last night I went to sleep at 30% wake-up 5 hours later and it stills at 30%. I have email auto-sync every 30 min, gmail, full brightness, calendar, weather widget. Just keep letting your battery go all the way down and charge it again.

Edit:
    Battery at boot: 30%
    Time since boot: 8:26:56
    Battery level: 17%

Usage:
    Display: 49%
    Cell Standby: 29%
    Phone idle: 13%
    Voice calls: 13% ( just 1 call )
    Android system: 3%

Running Processes:
    Post it Desk
    Fancy Widget (auto sync on)
    Android Agenda Widget (auto sync on)
    Gmail (sync on)
    voice search
    mini info (widget)
    messaging
    advanced task killer free
    email (auto sync on)

25. rrrrramos

rrrrramos Well-Known Member

I actually have been taking note of my battery life over the past few days. From 10am to 1am yesterday, I used the phone as much as I usually do, actually checking a few forums almost constantly over a weak 3G signal, and by the end of the day, I still had 60% battery left. Pretty good for 15 hours. So far today I've had it unplugged since 10:50am and I've just now dropped down 1% of battery. I've found that whereas before I was using a ton of battery life when the phone was not in use, it seems to not use any significant amount of battery now.