Battery issues on ErisGeneral

Last Updated:

1. gnipgnop08

gnipgnop08 Member This Topic's Starter

Hi all. I'm new to the forums. I've been reading a lot about battery optimization (including Caddyman's post from 2009) but cannot seem to pinpoint my issue. I'm running 1.5 and do not seem to have the dreaded SMS bug; however, I am still experiencing high (75-85%) awake time levels with little device use. I have just a few apps installed so far, so I think I can isolate the culprit(s) with your help!

I turned off auto-backlighting and set the brightness to 25-30% with a 30-second timeout. Turned off haptic feedback. Turn off Wi-Fi, GPS and BT when not in use.

I'm still in the process of conditioning the battery; I'm on my second full charge after two complete drains and observed significant improvement from this...until...

I installed YouMail and gmote. Prior to the installs I was down to about 20-30% AT when using the device *very* sparingly (1-2 two-minute calls, a couple texts over the course of a few hours on a full charge).

Settings
    YouMail: SMS notifications turned off, polling disabled
    gmote: doesn't seem to be a feature to log out/off...don't know if this is automatic when exiting app.

Apologies for the lengthy post. I've just observed that most folks willing to help will ask for more info anyway.

Thank You

Advertisement
  2. Bswartz95

Bswartz95 Well-Known Member

I think I've read that people have had problems with YouMail. Uninstall it, then turn your phone off and back on. Check to see if your awake time stays low.

gnipgnop08 likes this.
  3. Ebaneezor

Ebaneezor Well-Known Member

I didnt waste my time with turning my phone into a paper weight so I could save battery power. Seemed pointless to have a smartphone that dies after a few hours of use, so I ordered a 3500Mah battery from Seidio and I am getting 2 days solid use without worrying about whats running or not. just my two cents worth...

4. Bswartz95

Bswartz95 Well-Known Member

I agree with you, but you wouldn't get 2 days of solid use if something was keeping your awake time at 100%.

There's an app that's keeping the OP's phone awake.

5. Ebaneezor

thats true..I need to spend some time "reading" posts before replying, lol.....

6. Ebaneezor

sorry OP, my comment was off point.. But I think I have read that peple are using spare parts to discover what is keeping there phone awake. Maybe that will be more helpful.

7. gnipgnop08

Thanks @Bswartz. I think you're right. I also think I was in denial about YouMail because I love the app so much. :(

Anyhow, I immediately went back down to approx. 30-40% (I've been using it a little more extensively the last few hours, so I wouldn't expect to be in the teens at this point...)

Thanks again.

FOR ANYONE: Are there any visual voicemail apps available for Android that have proven to be more battery-efficient?

8. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

Sign up for a Google Voice account, be patient and wait for them to give you an account, and let GV handle voice mail for your phone.

9. gnipgnop08

I actually received an invite several months ago, but never activated it, because I was still so impressed w/ YouMail. I'll give it a try. So it's okay in terms of battery management? It says it "prevents phone from sleeping". This is the crux of my original issue.

10. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

I have no problems with battery life because of GV. The prevent phone from sleeping I am sure is for the dialing functions - if you set GV to handle phone calls you don't want it to sleep while the connection is in progress. I have it set for inbox sync (i.e., push notifications rather than timed polling). I just checked my phone; awake time is 10%, which has been pretty standard for me.