• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Battery Issues

I have a Galaxy S3, and work in a large refrigerator. Barely get a phone signal let alone internet. I have found that if I forget to put the phone in airplane mode by one in the afternoon I'll be at 63%.

I don't use the phone when I work, so putting the phone in airplane doesn't bother me. At 1pm I'll be at 97%.

Then I discovered that I could turn just the data off, and by one o'clock there was no significant battery drainage. So, the inability to connect when there is no data service does cause a large battery drain.

Being able to turn data off is a good thing and shouldn't cause the anxiety attacks that some people seem to have when they are forced to use airplane mode.

I particularly like being able to turn just the data off because I tend to forget to turn the airplane mode off. Then mom gets mad because I am not answering the phone, and swears I am trying to avoid her.

Push services are nice, but I like being able to turn them off, not just because it helps save battery, but because I am not overjoyed when my phone beeps at two in the morning just to let me know I just received an email from; who really cares?

I have found on occasion that battery drainage and data use can be affected after a programs update, and it is not always easy to figure out which app is to blame, but it is likely the one who's writer has decided to take advantage of my phone's push service in some creative way.

When Verizon's back up service last updated my phone suddenly became desperate to upload. However, for some flaw in its programming it couldn't connect to the server. So, all day long, day after day it was trying to upload. My battery was taking a big hit. The only way at first to stop it was to turn the data off.

Not being tech savvy I had to figure out a way to use the programs settings to turn it off. Force stopping it didn't work. Turning it off did not work. Finally going into the programs settings and choosing do not back up as every single item choice, then telling it to sync effectively killed it. It tried then stopped and told me that there was nothing to sync, and that was the end of it.

It does seem to me that when I open an app and get a (new and improved) feature announcement, well that's the one likely to be causing the newest problem.

When I am not at work and not using the phone constantly, I can leave both the phone and data on pretty much all day and night without worrying about killing the battery, so apparently being able to connect, or knowing when to stop trying to connect makes a big difference.

Upvote 0
I have a Galaxy S3, and work in a large refrigerator. Barely get a phone signal let alone internet. I have found that if I forget to put the phone in airplane mode by one in the afternoon I'll be at 63%.

I don't use the phone when I work, so putting the phone in airplane doesn't bother me. At 1pm I'll be at 97%.

Then I discovered that I could turn just the data off, and by one o'clock there was no significant battery drainage. So, the inability to connect when there is no data service does cause a large battery drain.

Being able to turn data off is a good thing and shouldn't cause the anxiety attacks that some people seem to have when they are forced to use airplane mode.

I particularly like being able to turn just the data off because I tend to forget to turn the airplane mode off. Then mom gets mad because I am not answering the phone, and swears I am trying to avoid her.

Push services are nice, but I like being able to turn them off, not just because it helps save battery, but because I am not overjoyed when my phone beeps at two in the morning just to let me know I just received an email from; who really cares?

I have found on occasion that battery drainage and data use can be affected after a programs update, and it is not always easy to figure out which app is to blame, but it is likely the one who's writer has decided to take advantage of my phone's push service in some creative way.

When Verizon's back up service last updated my phone suddenly became desperate to upload. However, for some flaw in its programming it couldn't connect to the server. So, all day long, day after day it was trying to upload. My battery was taking a big hit. The only way at first to stop it was to turn the data off.

Not being tech savvy I had to figure out a way to use the programs settings to turn it off. Force stopping it didn't work. Turning it off did not work. Finally going into the programs settings and choosing do not back up as every single item choice, then telling it to sync effectively killed it. It tried then stopped and told me that there was nothing to sync, and that was the end of it.

It does seem to me that when I open an app and get a (new and improved) feature announcement, well that's the one likely to be causing the newest problem.

When I am not at work and not using the phone constantly, I can leave both the phone and data on pretty much all day and night without worrying about killing the battery, so apparently being able to connect, or knowing when to stop trying to connect makes a big difference.

Thank you very much for this information. :)

Thanks,

David

Upvote 0
Would you still like me to post a screenshot of my present battery usage?
I also may have one from the past. Do you want one from the past if I have it?

Sorry I didn't post one before.

Thanks,

Daivd

Nah, it sounds like things should be under control now.

Apologies for the slow response... I spent the past two days at the track and was thus away from the internet :cool:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones