• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Battery lasting 8-9 hours

D

Deleted User

Hi all,

I'm new here and have checked other forum posts but haven't found a solution..

I've had my HTC Desire for 8 weeks and the battery is not lasting more than 7-9 hours without becoming critical and turning off. I've followed all the advice on here such as the 'battery trick'. I've downloaded Advanced Task Killer and have turned off the GPS location settings, I don't have live wallpapers and only use email to check rather than reply. I use the internet for around 30 minutes and use it very minimally for voice calls.

I use texts, WhatsApp and Words with Friends free mainly. Most items such as email and Facebook are set to sync every two hours and others are set to sync manually.

When I just looked at my phone, before it died, the settings displayed this:
Android system 31%
Cell standby 19%
Wi-fi 19%
Phone idle 13%
Display 10%
Words free 3%
Dialer 3%
Voice calls 2%

I also set the display to 'Auto' so it is more dim than it was before. I am using wi-fi as I have been at home most of the day.

If anyone could advise, I would be grateful. I am on O2. I'm not sure whether to ring them to see if they can send a new battery.

I am using Android 2.2 and I do not have a rooted phone (have no idea what it even means!)

Are you doing lots of Internet/E-Mail activity? If so, that could explain why. That number isn't unheard of. To get anywhere near a day you need to use the Internet/E-Mail more generally.

What do you have set to Auto Sync? If you're not using the Wifi regularly I'd switch it off. I tend to only turn it on whilst I am actually using it. I also recommend Timerriffic (+ APN Droid) to kill the 3G data connection during night time, obviously if you always plug it in, this is less important.

What's the "battery tricky"?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones