Battery life after using GPS for 4.5 hours during bike ride

Last Updated:

1. ghitos73

ghitos73 Active Member This Topic's Starter

Last weekend, I went on a 50-mile bike ride and used an app called 'My Tracks' to track my entire route. I started with a 100% charge and at the end of the ride my battery was down to 74%. I was quite impressed. Of course, I had WiFi, Bluetooth, and Sync disabled. I was tempted to root my N1 after seeing the thread on 72 hours of battery life, but I thought I would give it a shot with what I already have.

Anyhow, I was wondering if anyone else on the forum uses their N1 to training purposes.

Advertisement
  2. Kaleb Randleaxe

Kaleb Randleaxe Well-Known Member

Awesome report. That IS pretty impressive. Was the 3G/GPS reception along your path very good?

And I plan on using my N1 to assist with my running routine using both tracks and the music player. :)

3. ghitos73

Oh, thanks for reminding me ... To maximize battery performance, I set my mobile network setting to 'Use only 2G Networks' since I didn't really need the map. I only wanted to use the tracking feature anyway. I am sure my battery life would have been worse if it was set to 3G. Besides, if I did get lost along the trail it was nice knowing that I still had enough power to turn on Navigation mode in a pinch with 74% remaining.

On my next bike ride, I will see what the battery life is like with both tracks and my music player running and report back ... unless you beat me to it of course. =)

4. Kaleb Randleaxe

Kaleb Randleaxe Well-Known Member

Haha. Well, unfortunately VZW has me by the balls right now waiting for them to release the N1, so you'll probably get a report on that in before me. : P

5. ghitos73

Well I am reporting back on the battery life performance using My Tracks and the built in music player. I went for a 40-mile bike ride this afternoon. I started out with 100% charge on my Nexus One. After riding for 3 hours and 19-minutes with GPS, 3G, and music player running, the charge dropped to 54%. Hope that helps.