battery life being zapped

Last Updated:

1. ratherbelaxxin

ratherbelaxxin New Member This Topic's Starter

before everyone tells me to download task killer... i already have. But as soon as i clear it, and go back to it i have random apps opening on there own... such as corporate calander,settings, and alarm clock even though i never opened them. does anybody know how to prevent these from opening on there own?

Advertisement
  2. skunkpbguy

skunkpbguy Well-Known Member

First off, WELCOME to the forums.
    Secondly, I prefer to swim against the herd- don't ever download task killer, its no good to abruptly end a Linux program.. that thread is around here somewhere..When Droid needs more system resources, it automatically shuts down those unused apps, there is no need for a task killer.
    And finally to answer your question:there are literally DOZENS of reasons your phone may fail at battery life;
    If you are in a poor signal area, it will continue to search for access to a better signal, this uses power.
    If you have wifi enabled, it attempt to connect.
    If you have satellite positioning enabled, it will attempt to connect.
    If you have email/facebook/twitter/etc sync enabled, it will attempt to connect.. those are just the first few that come to mind. You can change all those settings to your liking, even things like the screen brightness and timeout will affect your battery life.

3. FrayAdjacent

FrayAdjacent Well-Known Member

Skunk's reply is very good - MANY things can kill your battery life, not just apps.

I've seen 45 minutes worth of phone calls eat 70% of my battery when I was in an area that had bad cell signal.

Also mind that the first few days with the phone usually exhibits low battery life. I experienced this, but after a week or so, life got much better.

Turn off everything you don't use - make sure GPS, WiFi and BlueTooth are off, unless you're using them. They will all tax the battery noticeably. I also leave my screen on auto brightness and find that it doesn't drain the battery too much.

Also being new to the phone, you're going to be prone to playing with it a lot.

4. k3ndr0

k3ndr0 New Member

use 2G only also reduce battery usage

5. obutto

obutto Well-Known Member

What is said above is not necessarily true. Gps can be left on without much battery drain as long as your apps aren't using it. One problem that I have run into is that when I go to Google it tries to get my location and if I press home while it is still doing this Gps will be left on and drain urbattery. Otherwise its fine. Just play with the phone and see what make your battery die.

6. ratherbelaxxin

ratherbelaxxin New Member This Topic's Starter

how do i do that?

7. stevonyc34

stevonyc34 Well-Known Member

you can also turn off background data and auto-sync

go to settings, click on accounts & sync and uncheck both background data and auto-sync.

8. k3ndr0

k3ndr0 New Member

you can go wireless setting--->mobile network
    (-)it drops your data connection speed too :D