Battery life? Defective device?General

1. ajdroidx

ajdroidx Well-Known Member

So, earlier this month I decided to update my sisters 3g keyboard kindle to the fire HD for her birthday. She loves it, but I noticed she spends more time on her old kindle then the HD. When I asked her about it, she tells me it needs charged. I guess the device spends more time charging then being used. I think she said it averages needing plugged in to the wall at LEAST twice a day and she is mostly reading. Maybe doing a wee bit of web browsing.

It bums me out that she spends more time with her older device whilst the other one sits on the charger (with the wall charger). She has turned wifi off now, but I don't think it should eat that much radio.

This sounds like my old Nexus where it barely lasted the day while out and about.

I am having her call up amazon and see if this is normal, so she can talk directly to them instead of telling me the info. To me, it seems like it renders the device basically useless if its on the charger half the time you want to use it! And she is NOT even streaming video or playing games or music.

I want to say about 98% reading.

I suspect it is going back. It kind of takes the portability out of the device when it needs charged so much.

:(

She really digs the device. I guess perhaps a N7 and or paper white instead.

Advertisement
  2. Elevener

Elevener Active Member

Defective unit. Get a new one.

I have never had a device with such a ridiculously long battery life than my KFHD. My wife will sit for HOURS playing slots and fruit ninja and the battery goes down to about 40%. No kidding. I rarely plug the thing in.
  3. Ih8apple

Ih8apple Active Member

Yeah, she got a lemon. I charge mine at night, and thats it. I spend hours playing games, browsing, reading, and watching video with no charge needed.

Truthfully though, if she is using it pretty much exclusively as a reader, I'd rather have the paperwhite. The e-ink is easier on the eyes than the LCD screen on the fire. I wish Amazon would make a tablet that has an e-ink display on one side, and a HD screen on the other. I guess I could just buy a paperwhite and glue it to the back of my frire HD lol.