• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Battery Life Experience

So far I'm not having much luck with battery life. I'm losing between 10-15% an hour even when not in use. I've turned off everything I can think of. Any suggestions?

Nine times out of ten you need to turn off all your radios. Then check every app to make sure they are not scheduled to receive data every 4 hrs or 30 mins. Then check the phone in an hour. I would also turn off uninstall any apps you installed yourself. Then go from there.

Reactions: rangergrrl
Upvote 0
So far I'm not having much luck with battery life. I'm losing between 10-15% an hour even when not in use. I've turned off everything I can think of. Any suggestions?

Go under Settings / Power / Usage (it might be slightly different on the M8, I don't have one et). Look at all of the applications and services in there and see if a random app is chewing up a lot of your battery.

Also you can go under Settings / Apps / then select the "Running" tab and see all of the current apps and services running. Check to see if something has a long up time. Might mean it's wakelocking the device, IOW not letting the phone go to sleep when the screen is off.

Reactions: rangergrrl
Upvote 0
Excellent battery

YBgpf6w.png

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
Above anything else (IMO) battery life is the most important part of a phone. You can have the most amazing phone ever, but if the battery is dead it's worthless! This phone has amazing battery life based off my own usage. Between the increased battery size and the software/hardware power saving improvements I have to give this phone an A+ on battery performance.

Reactions: swerver32
Upvote 0
Im not sure if everyone can compare apples to apples here meaning depending on where you are, I throughout the day am in LTE and sometimes in 3g only I wonder how this really effects how much is used , I notice every morning when I unplug within 10 min I am at 99% and by an hour or so im down to 96% I have tried multiple setups and even went into dev options and selected no background processes and still the same thing, I get it that if we are using the phone that is going to pull battery but its the standby that I am a little concerned about . And if a defective battery is the culprit is there some type of load test that can be done.

Upvote 0
Install GSam Battery Monitor (screenshot in post 56), let the phone run for a few hours in standby, then see what it says is using power (you can tap on most items in the list to get more details). There are many possibilities with these devices, so better to collect some data rather than hope to guess right.

Of course if you are in a weak signal area that could be a big factor in itself, especially if you drop in and out of coverage - searching for signal or swapping bands is a big drain.

Upvote 0
Install GSam Battery Monitor (screenshot in post 56), let the phone run for a few hours in standby, then see what it says is using power (you can tap on most items in the list to get more details). There are many possibilities with these devices, so better to collect some data rather than hope to guess right.

Of course if you are in a weak signal area that could be a big factor in itself, especially if you drop in and out of coverage - searching for signal or swapping bands is a big drain.
I guess my question is how much % drop should I be getting on standby I know there are a lot of variables so mabe its a hard question to ask and I try GSam battery and post thanks.

Upvote 0
I guess my question is how much % drop should I be getting on standby I know there are a lot of variables so mabe its a hard question to ask and I try GSam battery and post thanks.

It will really depend on what you have turned on, what is syncing, your signal, etc. I generally get about 1-2% drop with most of my stuff on in an hour where I am not touching the phone. Average drop I am getting is 5% while using the phone. Biggest drop I have had was 10% in an hour of non-stop use. GSam Battery can point you in the right direction and is a great tool.

Reactions: Granite1
Upvote 0
This thing is amazing ... My first full day on cell service after waiting a couple days to get it unlocked..

I unplugged at 2am (after plugging in at about 10pm) woke up at 5am still at 100%, it's now 2pm and I'm sitting at 77% after some moderate use (email,text,chrome,Facebook).. by now my nexus would be below 40% or on the charger twice at my breaks..

Upvote 0
Update -- my phone ran for 1 day 10 hours and 20 minutes on its first full charge.

I should point out it was idle for 12 hours of that time but still veeery pleased. Also should be noted I left the power saving on the entire time.. I turned it off charged for about 2 hours and left it off and im at 75% after 3 hours.

So for the most part I'll be running powersaver ..

Reactions: Granite1
Upvote 0
Im not sure if everyone can compare apples to apples here meaning depending on where you are, I throughout the day am in LTE and sometimes in 3g only I wonder how this really effects how much is used , I notice every morning when I unplug within 10 min I am at 99% and by an hour or so im down to 96% I have tried multiple setups and even went into dev options and selected no background processes and still the same thing, I get it that if we are using the phone that is going to pull battery but its the standby that I am a little concerned about . And if a defective battery is the culprit is there some type of load test that can be done.

Many mornings I unplug for a few minutes to make coffee then plug back in. I notice that the first time I unplug I drop to 99% quickly, but after I plug back in and get back to 100%, when I unplug again it stays at 100% for quite awhile.

Upvote 0
The couple percent drop is from the way the battery is charged.

When the battery reaches 100%, the kernel stops delivering a charge. It bump charges the battery every so often after that. It will still read 100% even if it's in reality 98 or 99%.

I fully charged and unplugged around 10 last night. At 5:30 am it only lost 6%, without the extreme battery saver. I'm at 83% now and I've been crushing it all morning.

Another factor for battery could be your signal like mentioned above. If you go under Menu / Settings / System Updates / select Update PRL
Let it do its thing. Go back under the same menu then select Update Profile. Let it do its thing again.

I wasn't getting any 4G this morning until I updated both of those, now I'm on LTE strong.

Reactions: SolApathy
Upvote 0
One improvement that's much appreciated:
Charging time.

Mine had somewhere in the mid-high 30% range,out-of-the-box.

As someone who switches phones frequently, I like to keep the accessories unopened/intact in the original packaging, to help overall value in case of a sale.

Anyhoo,when JUMPING from the G2 to the M8 earlier today, the clerk was only interested in the phone & couldn't care less about the accessories,or, the box & instruction booklets for that matter.

So, I took her up on the generosity,& am using the G2 charger (1.8A,I believe) & cord.

Only took 1.5hrs to charge from 30% to 100%,a noticeable improvement over the M7.
With the improvement in battery life + quicker charge times, I'll definitely be foregoing the usual charging case this time around.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones