• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Battery Life help please

kollarism

Aug 19, 2010
I switch from my iPhone 4 (30 days) to the Captivate and I LOVE it. I've had the captivate now for 3 days, and am having a blast customizing it. My only gripe is the battery life. Granted I've been playing on it a lot, but i've only been getting 6-10hours of battery out of it.

Can anyone give me tips on battery monitor (currently using battery minder), some settings to change, and if a Task Manager is actually worth it?

Thanks!

Battery life is better today, as I have not been using it ALL day. Why does everyone say that live wallpapers kill battery? My live wallpaper is only using 2% of my battery life.

I have no idea why people say live wallpapers are the devil.

ANYWAYS, I got this neat widget (I forget the name...) that lets me turn on/off Wifi, Bluetooth, GPS, Syncing, and Brightness settings at the top of my screen without pulling down the menu from the top. The main thing I noticed, though, is that my GPS was ALWAYS on and I usually had about 20% at the end of the day left over. On the pull down bar you have no option to turn off the GPS... So I turned it off and have been averaging 60% battery at the end of the day; I use the wifi intermittently and turn it off if not in use, I watch videos, I play the mess out of the Media Player, and I'm on Pandora most of the day.

Long story short: Try finding that widget (if I find it I'll let you know what the hell it's called) and TURN OFF YOUR GPS when you're not using it! Saved me a TON of battery life.

EDIT: I found it under "Widgets" it's called Power Control? I'm running Launcher Pro so I don't know if I downloaded it or not (curse you AppBrain!).

Upvote 0
I switch from my iPhone 4 (30 days) to the Captivate and I LOVE it. I've had the captivate now for 3 days, and am having a blast customizing it. My only gripe is the battery life. Granted I've been playing on it a lot, but i've only been getting 6-10hours of battery out of it.

Can anyone give me tips on battery monitor (currently using battery minder), some settings to change, and if a Task Manager is actually worth it?

Thanks!

Bro welcome to the forums and this is what you need.
http://androidforums.com/samsung-ca...able-disable-3g-your-captivate-one-click.html

Upvote 0
Yea they should sticky this, but in most cases, for the first 3-4 days, burn your batt. to 0. then charge it, do that for 3-4 days in a row or more. Your battery will get better. How much better? I dont know, mine does pretty good now and I use it a lot. I usually get a good 18-20 hour day out of it with moderate use, wifi and bluetooth always on, a few auto update widgets, etc.

I think the "turn off live wallpaper" thing is kinda silly personally. I dont use them cause I find them distracting, but they would only ever use any battery power when they are being displayed on your home screen. When you have another screen open (a full screen) the wallpaper is not in use. When your screen is off, the wallpaper isnt doing anything (unless I am wrong. But it would seem silly that it would be "running" even when it is not being dispayed).

So try the battery burn in thing, it will help. Im under the idea that what is the point of having a fancy phone that can do all kinds of cool stuff if you have to turn them off. As long as you dont go crazy with a million widgets always running and updating every 5 minuts, with latitude constantly running updating your location every 2 minuts and the phone set to never sleep, you should be able to get a good solid day of moderate use for this thing. If not, maybe you have a bunk battery, or your idea of moderate is different than the average.

Upvote 0
Try out some of the free power management apps and see which one gives you the best battery life for your usage style. I have exceeded 100 hours of life as I covered in this thread (including the settings I'm using) but that's with relatively light usage and shutting off data & wifi at night.

Oh, and I use live wallpaper and love how it looks. Live wallpaper never ceases to draw the "oooh, what's that??" comments from iPhone users. I find using live wallpaper has minimal impact on my battery life.

Upvote 0

Thanks!

Battery life is dependent on 2 main factors:

1. Location
2. Useage

Poor signal strength will kill a battery all by itself. I have had phones die in 8 hours sitting on a desk at work - then last 32 hours at home

Useage varies - so without you describing what you are doing, there is not much help available. 6-10 hours may be a lot of time, if you spent 4 hours on the phone, and 2 hours shooting video.

How long were you talking, web surfing, texting, watching movies, using the camera, shooting video, playing games, etc. What 3rd party apps do you have running in the background? How many widgets are syncing data?

Without giving details, it is really hard to help. iPhone 4 battery life specs are similar to Captivates BTW.

Upvote 0
I found an app called Quick Settings on the Market for Free. It is better then Power Control, as it gives you a ton of options, and brings you through menus. You can can brightness, ringer types, Turn Off Bluetooth, WiFi, GPS, 3G, auto syncing data, and a few other things.

I unplugged my phone last night at 3am and it was 70%. I woke up this morning at 9am and it was at 42%. I guess I will need to keep messing with it until I find out what im doing wrong. I did have WiFi and 3G off, so maybe my widgets were trying to connect all night?

Upvote 0
I have no idea why people say live wallpapers are the devil.

Because a large number of people such as myself have found the battery life to rise dramatically after turning them off.

I had hit a ceiling of about 6-8 hours max despite doing probably at least 6 full battery drains and recharges. This went on for a few weeks without fluctuation. Replaced wallpaper with a static one, and immediately started seeing 12+ hours. It's actually gotten even better since.

While I don't question your individual case/experience, my situation is far from unique. From reading these forums, it would appear you'll find a considerably larger number of people who've discovered live wallpapers drain the battery fast, compared to those who say they see little difference.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones