Battery Life in Standby

Last Updated:

1. leonl

leonl New Member This Topic's Starter

I have wifi, 3g, edge, gps, screen to off. Yet, it appears my battery is emptying in a day (the "cell standby" is the reason according to About Phone). The building I am in is blocking the signal often, so I know the phone is trying hard to get a signal.

I did charged the phone completely before using it the first time!

However, I had a Samsung Galaxy (1500 mAh) before. With the same settings, I could definitely last 2 days, under the same conditions.

Anyone has an idea how to improve that?

Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. daffyduck

daffyduck Well-Known Member

How can you expect the Nexus to last the same as the Galaxy.....it is a totally different kind of Android phone, plus is more higher-spec'd.

That is the trade off gang ;)

3. Esquire1

Esquire1 Well-Known Member

petergdakin, while that is true, it does not get to the heart of leonl's problem. leonl's phone is just sitting there and draining the battery at a ridiculous rate. He's not even doing anything with the phone, if I'm reading correctly.

leonl, I had a similar problem. My battery was constantly draining with Cell Standby being the main culprit.

First, I found doing a complete discharge and recharge of the battery worked. Stupid, I know, because these batteries shouldn't need to do that. However, it did help and I can't argue with results. Second, I did the following: http://androidforums.com/nexus-one/38267-battery-life-fix.html. That also helped tremendously. Probably the biggest factor.

I'm pretty sure the Cell Standby problem is an OS problem. The fact that there is more than one Baseband version out there might have to do with this. This constant battery drain is likely to be fixed in the future with an OS update. Or at least, I hope it will be fixed.

4. leonl

Thanks for the advices! Indeed, I was not doing anything with my phone when I was doing that testing.

When I enter *#*#4636#*#*, I see that the phone is actually in GSM only, which I also read somewhere that it might increase the battery life over WCDMA only.

I'll try the calibration, but I am afraid it might reduce the battery life in the long term. Right now though, I have a good signal (and I'm not doing much), and the phone drains very slowly (21 hours running and still 80%).

Cell standby 43%
    Phone idle 26%
    Display 21%
    Voice Calls 4%
    Android System 3%
    Android OS 2%

I hope an OS update will fix the Cell standby issue!

Thanks again!

5. markie-m8

markie-m8 Well-Known Member

When I'm in a rubbish signal area cell standby eats my battery as well, if you touch cell standby it tells you how long you have been without a signal, 76% has been my highest over a working day, today its 1% and loads of battery left.

Guess its the phone trying to pull a signal upping the power.

6. markie-m8

markie-m8 Well-Known Member

When I'm in a rubbish signal area cell standby eats my battery as well, if you touch cell standby it tells you how long you have been without a signal, 76% has been my highest over a working day, today its 1% and loads of battery left.

Guess its the phone trying to pull a signal upping the power.

7. leonl

For the record...

In an area without good reception (cell standby for 35% of the time), my battery goes down by 25% in 11h (not great).

Cell Standby 71% (35% of time)
    Voice Calls 14% (16 min)
    Display 8% (25m)
    Phone Idle 5%
    Media Server 2% (7 min)

In an area with good reception (cell standby for 1% of the time), my battery goes down by 30% in 33h (good).

*Cell Standby 35% (for only 1% of time!)*
    Display 30% (58m)
    Phone Idle 23%
    Android Sys 4%
    Voice Calls 4% (3m)
    Android OS 2%