Battery Life - Is this normal?General

Last Updated:

1. bryanlee81

bryanlee81 Member This Topic's Starter

I take it out of the charger at 9:47.

It's 10:47 and the battery is down to 90%

Here's the list of what i've done within the last 60 minutes.

1. Opened the browser twice to check on the links that came into my email
    2. Viewed 17 pushed emails.

Also, it seems like the first 10% goes down much faster than let's say 90% to 80%.

I'm wondering whether I need to take this phone back to Verizon for a replacement or get an extended battery.

Advertisement
  2. Needz_Android

Needz_Android Well-Known Member

^^^lol at taking it back because you battery went down 10% in an hour.

its normal, especially if you have gps and live wallpapers running

3. mister_tu

mister_tu Well-Known Member

How are you getting push notifications?

4. tarponbeach

tarponbeach Well-Known Member

Mine does exactly the same thing. After the initial 10-12% drop, it proceeds to drain very slowly. Probably an error in the battery display algorithm.

5. bjanow

bjanow Well-Known Member

The same thing happens to me, or should I say used to happen. As your phone adjusts to your usage things will get better. Give it a week or two, buy another OEM battery to swap it out towards the end of the day if you are a heavy user, and things will settle down. The phone is great, does a lot very quickly, and drains power sometimes more than we would like. But it's really worth it if you can adapt a bit.

6. bjanow

bjanow Well-Known Member

Exchange Activesync.

7. i VTAK

i VTAK Well-Known Member

It's common to most smart phones, get used to it. There are settings you can change to extend battery life. The biggest battery saver I've found is to turn off mobile network when you're not using it. Make sure to have a charger handy though, especially during the first few weeks as you'll be playing with the phone alot and putting alot of strain on the battery.

8. tranceFusion

tranceFusion Well-Known Member

Incredible isn't the first smart phone with bad battery life, but its pretty much the one with the worst. Don't let the fan boys fool you - there are alternatives with much better battery life (although I think I am going to suck it up because it has a lot of other great features).

9. paimon.soror

paimon.soror Well-Known Member

It is perfectly normal, especially out of the box. As i VTAK said, there are some options that you can configure to squeeze some more juice out of the phone. I'm not sure about anyone else in this thread, but I spend most of my days in front of my desk/computer (software engineer), I just bring my USB cable with me to make sure that my phone is always topped off.

10. mister_tu

The way I see it: Would you rather be driving a Lamborghini v12 that gets 9mpg or a Toyota Corolla that gets 35?

11. nyngbld

nyngbld Well-Known Member

isnt that one of the things that will kill battery faster; constant charging?

12. tranceFusion

tranceFusion Well-Known Member

Well, I have a Civic if that tips you off to my answer :D There are a lot more politics behind sucking down gas than just cost, though.

13. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

Its well known that the last 10% takes 2-3 times as long to charge as the first 90%. So in reality when you took your phone off the charger it was probably at 90% even though it might have said 100%. The last 10% is done via trickle charge so it doesn't overcharge the battery. If you overcharge a lithium battery it will catch fire. Thats why it jumps down to 90% so quickly. Leave it on the charger for a whole day and then take it off, you'll see what i mean. If you leave it on all day you'll have a 99%+ charge and it'll drain as it normally would with a full charge. If you don't let it trickle charge its not really charged up as much as it could be.

14. i VTAK

i VTAK Well-Known Member

Another note to the OP, the batteries in our new phones are not adversly affected by multiple charges per day. They do not have the "memory effect" older batteries experienced. Any time you are near a charger, feel free to put the phone on it, you won't hurt anything.

nyngbld likes this.
  15. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

No it won't kill the battery. Discharging it to 0% will kill the life of the battery. It needs a charge on it to stay healthy. Its best to top it off as much as possible. Don't discharge or deep cycle it on purpose.

16. bjanow

bjanow Well-Known Member

Wrong fanboy.

17. nstallion

nstallion Well-Known Member

One full cycle is good to calibrate the battery monitor. The phone won't let you discharge the battery to the point of actually damaging the Li-ion cell.

18. jamor

jamor Well-Known Member

I have amazing battery life.

19. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

Not nessissary. You can do it if you want, but i'm not going to. My battery level never falls below 40-50% and thats just fine with me.

20. paimon.soror

These are Lithium Ion batteries which have specially designed circuitry that tells the battery when it is full. This means that when you plug it in for a charge, it wont 'overcharge'.

Also, unlike Ni-Mh batteries used years ago, Lion batteries dont suffer from the memory effect, so charging the phone constantly doesn't effect the capacity of the cells.

And lastly, Lion batteries prefer being "topped off" as opposed to fully drained and recharged. The way that the cells work, it is actually more harmful for the battery to bring it down to a 0% charge and perform a full chargup.

Im sure there are a bunch of threads/articles on this, but i hope this helped

21. paimon.soror

Doesn't the battery monitor just readout the voltage output from the battery with a respect to the 0.0v - Max (i think its what 4.4v?) scale? I wouldn't think there would be much calibration. The only thing that would really need calibration maybe is the readouts from the ADC converters that tell the OS the digital readout of the voltage coming from the battery

22. jamor

jamor Well-Known Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nstallion [​IMG]
    One full cycle is good to calibrate the battery monitor. The phone won't let you discharge the battery to the point of actually damaging the Li-ion cell.

I've read that it won't let you discharge to point of damage as well. But if you completely discharge it and then don't use it for a while (i.e. store it), then that WILL damage it.

I've also read very conflicting opinions on whether or not there is a need to drain your battery for calibration. Very confusing subject and everyone has a different opinion unfortunately :(

23. mister_tu

My battery sucks big balls. I've just changed settings basically for the past 3-4 hours and down to 50%.

I wish I could pinpoint what exactly is drawing all the power. I've changed all my social media to only update when I manually refresh and it still seems like it's draining pretty quick.

I might have to pony up and get an extended battery.

24. shotinthenads

shotinthenads Well-Known Member

I think the battery life (after a couple of days of use and charging) is INCREDIBLE! It's a much better than the iPhone 3Gs I got rid of.