Battery life issuesSupport

Last Updated:

1. nstokes

nstokes Member

Hi all,

I have had Z1 since December and i love the phone. Battery life has been great but last few weeks its gone down badly. I have all the power managment tools turned on like Stamina, low battery mode etc since i got phone. I was able to get power managment to say battery will last over 1.5 days and even 2 days with Stamina mode on.

Last few weeks battery has gone down loads. I checked the power management settings this morning and everything is still on but it said 17 hours on Stamina mode and 5 hours without it. This is really low and has decreased massively. I have uninstalled apps i dont use anymore and same thing. I let my phone die to 0% about once a month and recharge it again.

Version = 4.3
    Build = 14.2.A.0.290

Anyone have any ideas on what has caused this?

Advertisement
  2. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate! Moderator

Letting the battery run flat is never a good idea, but I doubt it would have much of an impact this early in the life of a handset.

Has your signal suddenly got worse? That can have an impact on battery life.

Install GSAM Battery Monitor and run that for a couple of charge cycles, that gives a much better idea of what is eating your battery than the stock battery gauge.
  3. nstokes

nstokes Member

I id have that app installed and i uninstalled it when i started to realize battery was having issues. Yes i think signal has got a bit worse as im sure EE as had some issues. 4G isnt always working and i have issues with data connection which has meant i have had to restart phone a few times. I thought letting the battery die flat then gibe it a full recharge was good for the battery and battery life?
  4. El Presidente

Nah, lithium batteries don't like being run down to low levels, it can drastically shorten their life and if they go completely flat you need a special charger to kick them in to life again.

Charging Lithium-Ion Batteries – Battery University

There's some additional info there if you fancy a read.

That being said, if you've only had the phone since release, it's highly unlikely it's had an impact yet.

(Fwiw, I normally charge my batteries at around 30-40%. I've a 4 year old Desire HD and the original battery in that is still going strong :)).

Are you connected to WiFi? Do you need to have 4G on? Turn it off and see if that makes a difference?

I've the option to use a 2G signal only, is that there for you?
    nstokes likes this.
  5. nstokes

nstokes Member

I wasnt aware of all that. I normally charge my battery up every day regardless how much battery is left. When i am home i do use Wifi and leave 4G on incase i go out. I have turned it from 4G to 3G and battery liife was the same according to the power management info and was same before i had the issues. Yes there is a 2G option but dont want to use 2G when out and about as doesnt work with streaming
  6. El Presidente

Just use 2G when you're connected to WiFi to see if it makes a difference.

I used to get a really bad signal at my house so I had to use 2G at home or it would decimate my battery.
  7. nstokes

nstokes Member

Ill try it and see what happens?
  8. marc1977

marc1977 Well-Known Member

That's a very valid point, many people don't think of signal strength when it cone to battery consumption. If your handset is flitting between 3G/2G it's going to hammer the battery, like El Presidente said, switching to 2G only should make a vast difference. Your handset will always be working harder to try and lock on to the 3G even if the signal is weak.
    El Presidente likes this.