Battery life - leaving wifi on all the time?General

Last Updated:

1. marissa088

marissa088 Member This Topic's Starter

This is kind of a detailed question, but basically, I have been reading through some threads and came across someone who wrote that keeping the wifi turned on to 'never sleep' optimizes your battery life by a lot (instead of using mobile connection). So I set this up, but I also have the app Advanced Task Killer and I am trying to figure out if I need to set the wifi to the ignore list (so that it doesn't get killed everytime) or if Advanced Task Killer doesn't effect this.

I am just trying to optimize my battery so I can actually use the internet without it dying on me so quickly. I charged it all night and literally 5 minutes after I unplugged it, my phone was down to 90% life. Seriously?

Advertisement
  2. L0stS0ul

L0stS0ul Well-Known Member

Wifi is a system process and is not an application so it can't be killed so don't worry about trying to add it to the ignore list.

I might have been the one that you saw mention this and I still fully stand behind that statement after 3 months. My phone spends the majority of it's time where it has wifi. I actually leave everything turned on all the time. GPS, Mobile, and Wifi with the wifi sleep policy set to never. I do have the wifi notification turned off and my battery lasts all day with no problem.

That said the the wifi will use more juice if it is outside of a wifi area as it will be actively scanning for a connection. When I know I will be away from a wifi area for long periods of time I toggle the wifi off with the widget.

In my experience the wifi chip uses far less power then the 3G chip when it has a connection.

3. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

I don't use a task killer, but when I did, I never had to worry about ignoring WiFi - it always ran just fine.

If your Eris is new, it may take a while to calibrate the battery meter completely. It may be that the charge left is better than the Eris thinks it is.

If I know that I will be away from home for a while, I do turn off WiFi, but sometimes I forget. The phone still gets through the day. I did buy the Seidio 1750 battery, but these days my Eris is usually well over 50% by the end of the day (I wake up at 4:45 am, and generally go to bed between 10:30 and 11:00 pm).

4. marissa088

marissa088 Member This Topic's Starter

Okay thanks for the info. Where I work, we don't have wifi so I will turn it off when I am at work, but I will leave it turned on at home and see how the battery life does. It is really new too (have only had it for 4 days) so I'm hoping the battery life will improve on it's own too.

5. Podivin

Podivin VIP Member VIP Member

I leave mine on most of the time too. The exception being if I'm going to be travelling and know that I won't be near wifi, so we're talking once a month or so. Otherwise I've got wifi at home, at work, and where I generally go for lunch. So I don't have to worry about it 'hunting' and draining the battery (not that I'm really sure it would do that).
    For the last couple of weeks I've also taken to leaving GPS on, with no obvious ill affect. I read somewhere, and itt seems true, that the GPS is really only ON if an app is actively using it.