Battery life once Froyo 2.2 is installed

Last Updated:

1. eXpZA

eXpZA Member This Topic's Starter

Anyone finding their Desires battery life has decreased with Froyo installed? I used to only go into the orange after a full day at work, now my battery died at around 12 Midday (Unplugged it 5 hours before) - I haven't been playing around on my phone or anything, this is just idle use.

Went through all my settings and all were the same as before. I'm NOT running any Task Killer or AutoSync software. Running stock OTA Froyo, never routed my phone before or after.

Any feedback?

Advertisement
  2. Pedro7

Pedro7 Well-Known Member

sounds like there might be a problem with the OTA update =/

not the first person i've heard having battery problems after upgrading to 2.2...

3. nacatomi

nacatomi Well-Known Member

My battery seems about usual. I take it you have rebooted following the upgrade?

4. eXpZA

Yea rebooted when it installed, before I went to sleep last night and this morning when I went to work at 7AM (GMT+2) - phone dead 5 hours later (was charging overnight)

Very confused, as it's not like the phone is indicating the wrong battery life - it legitimately died. I remember just before it died I went into settings and viewed what was using the battery, there was nothing that was out of the ordinary :(

5. nacatomi

nacatomi Well-Known Member

Might be worth a reboot with a battery removal as well.. It sorted a problem when I first got my desire that a normal reboot wouldn't where I was getting high android system usage..

6. Dirtball

Dirtball Active Member

If anything I'd say my battery life is slightly improved.

7. sudkcoce

sudkcoce Well-Known Member

My battery has also improved. :)

(No "active" task killers or other battery management programs)

8. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Well-Known Member

Half way through a working day after unplugging at 23:00hrs last night, and 50% remaining :cool:

Will take a couple of days to get into my usual charging cycle after a week off, but I reckon it'll be round about th esame as it used to be

nacatomi likes this.
  9. williamw1987

williamw1987 Member

I had the exact same problem. charged it before bed then when i woke up 6 hours later it was dead. charged it again and it seems fine now.

10. jaztim

jaztim Member

mine has improved. a good bit as well.

11. Captain Vallo

Captain Vallo Member

Initial thoughts are that it isn't as good, though I had perfected my settings to get around two days reasonable business use and stuff. Maybe will have to go through settings again, to make sure.

12. EmperorKabir

EmperorKabir Well-Known Member

mine is the same. i use a task killer because i don't trust the supposedly magical HTC task handling. It kills a LOT more tasks than it used to when i set it to auto kill every half hour.

13. omniscian

omniscian Member

Mines usually around 50/60% this far into the day but it's on 80%. Mind you, haven't really touched it as I've had to do some work!

14. master_yoda

master_yoda Well-Known Member

I think battery life is a little beter for me since the update, early days though yet.

15. Wuhlifant

Wuhlifant New Member

i've got exactly the same problem with my unrooted Desire with froyo.
    I've had it fully charged today (unpluged at 3pm) and now it has just 5% left. I checked services but there is no new service running, and i didnt install any new apps.

Then i tried appkiller an killed the whole bunch of apps it suggested. The system load of "100% running" finally changed and went down.
    Now there are two possibilities which we might have in common. Either we got the same obviously not froyo-ready app which drains our battery, or one of the stock apps is in our case slightly bricked and needs to be fixed by HTC. Lets hope its not that second problem :p

I'm gonna try to uninstall several apps now until i find the problem. If you got any news, please keep us/me posted.

Before i forget it: does anybody know an app which displays the app which currently uses the cpu? you know, like the windows task manager :p So we could easily find out which app is defective.

16. matttye

matttye Well-Known Member

I've recently added a battery widget to my home screen and noticed that my battery was at 88% after taking it off charge this morning after it had been on overnight. Not sure if that's a Froyo issue or if the Desire has never been capable of trickle charging, but it's the first time I've noticed it.

Aside from that it's hard to say because I've been playing with my phone a lot more ;)

17. Pedro7

Pedro7 Well-Known Member

you could try android system info on the market. haven't downloaded it myself though..

also, try taking your battery out and putting it back in. my phone used to be stuck on android system usage 96% even when left on standby all night, but after taking the battery out, its gone back to normal and stays at under 10% during the night..

18. diS

diS Well-Known Member

Same for me.
    I played games the entire day. non-stop. And I still have 60% battery left.

19. Mr Hendrix

Mr Hendrix Member

Battery life has improved even after using wifi for a while
    Jimi:cool:

20. eXpZA

Today appears to be a lot better. Not sure why yesterday was so painful on the battery, but it seems I've brought my charger to work for no reason. Anyway, will report if it suddenly explodes on me ;)

21. Opium

Opium Member

Charged mine to 100% after a reboot. Unplugged it, haven't touched it in the last hour since i've unplugged it. lost 10% battery. Wi-fi off.

That isn't right

22. Opium

Opium Member

Also, noticed battery flying out the window since .20 radio. I was running.20 before upgrading to froyo 2.2 and it just chewed my batt. I think that's the culprit.

23. omniscian

omniscian Member

I think yesterday was the first day my phone wasn't on a red battery icon by the end of it. 16 hours since being unplugged and I had 50% left. Quite an improvement on what it was.

24. Opium

Opium Member

I think it may be linked to android.process.acore, which eats up to 60% of my cpu for a few min every time the sync function updates my facebook contacts. It's now disabled, and battery seems better, but not .08 good. But I'll get back to you all tomorrow after a full charge under normal operating