Battery Life (Possible bug?)General

Last Updated:

1. poster55

poster55 Active Member This Topic's Starter

I've noticed a lot of variation in reports of battery life on this phone. I know myself the first time I used the phone I only had 7 hours under heavy usage, but after the second time that went up to 14 hours. The third charge it's up to 20.

I'm wondering if this is just a calibration issue out of the box, and it needs a few charges to figure out how long your battery really lasts. Anyone experimented with this and seen if the 10% is really 10% after 7 hours?

Advertisement
  2. GlockGuy80

GlockGuy80 Well-Known Member

20 hours??? Under what type of usage? I am getting around 6-8 hours of moderate to heavy usage. Wifi off, GPS off (unless I am using it) and network not set to "always on." I have drained to 1 bar (roughly 14%) and back to full with 4 hours charge about 5 times since I got the phone and it's not getting any better.

3. necosino

necosino Well-Known Member

As you can see, I recommended this approach too. I had my phone on high-usage (screen always on brightest, streaming music, wifi, bluetooth, etc etc etc..) and my phone lasted like 7 hours. So yeah, the battery is a lot better than it has gotten credit for. Wait a few charges and then reevaluate it..

4. manbearpig10

manbearpig10 Member

I think my phone or battery is bad. I timed it yesterday and had 4 hours of standby on my phone (didn't use the phone at all except to check the battery level). My phone gets really damn hot too. I will be swapping it out for another one.

5. Scincidae

Scincidae Active Member

The first 10-15% of charge that you go through on the battery usually drains faster than the rest of the battery. This is usually because even if the battery says 100% it usually isn't and then it drops very fast which causes people to assume the worst. Not saying the battery doesn't drain fast but you should consider that.

6. cdodge

cdodge Well-Known Member

There is definately something up. Yesterday I had around 10 hours with heavy usage and now today I barely squeezed 4 hours. I have only had it for 2 days so maybe its a calibaration thing

7. poster55

poster55 Active Member This Topic's Starter

I think it's maybe too early in the game to accurately judge the battery life. I think there are definitely some calibration issues going on here, which might actually be effected by being turned on in the store before you have a full charge vs charging first when you order online.

I have noticed the users that give the battery a full drain, then a full charge, and repeat this 2-3 times reporting a much much longer battery life. In my experience (which is limited) This has held true for me too.

I have been playing with my phone non-stop since I got it. I charge it to full, then drain it to red, and charge it again. I haven't tried charging it with the phone turned off yet, but I did toy with charge times.

First Charge: 1 hour 30 minutes on the charger (I wanted to play with it but I had class) - Lasted 7 hours. 5 hours Active use, 2 hours idle. (approx, don't remember exact numbers)

Second Charge: 8 Hours on the charger. Up time 14 hours 48 minutes. 12 hours 37 minutes active use, 2 hours 11 minutes idle time

Third Charge: Approx 4 hours with phone in sleep/idle mode. Up Time 20 hours 9 Minutes. 11 Hours 36 Minutes Active Use, 8 Hours 33 Minutes Idle

Not sure what I will get on my 4th charge. Took it off about 2 hours ago... Battery Life at 87%, and I was playing Jewels and Pocket Empires, as well as browsing android market for the first hour of that. I also ran some system analysis software (OS Monitor, a virus scanner, and a file manager to move around some stuff.) As well as took some photos with the camera, made 2 calls, and send some text messages.

8. zemerick

zemerick Well-Known Member

For the first few cycles, you should ignore the battery indicator completely. Your battery is not dead until the phone turns itself, THEN charge it up ( including a fair bit past full to make sure the battery is actually charged to full...remember, the indicator IS wrong until after it has been calibrated. ) Usually it'll take about 5 of these full cycles to get an accurate battery indicator. From there, ideally you should charge the battery when it is more so around 30-40 percent to help improve the longevity of the battery. ( Theres a reason they ship the batteries at 40 percent charge, put simply Li-Ion love bein around that level. )

9. tudmf

tudmf Well-Known Member

Phone running mobile connect (always on), WIFI, Friendstream, played games (Pocket Empires); moderate to heavy use. 19 hours later still have a 66% charge. I did sleep for 9 hrs of it. Battery definitely is not as bad as some make it out to be.

10. Vihzel

Vihzel Destroying Balls Everyday VIP Member

If you need to, get the Seidio extended battery for the phone. I got it and I really did notice better battery life.

11. gavin77

gavin77 Well-Known Member

On my second full charge/drain cycle.....been going 31 Hrs, with some long phone calls, moderate internet use, and email, etc.....about 30% left. I do have have the roaming feature, (enable always on mobile), turned off. Seems to have helped a lot, and the full drain and recharge has helped as well. So one more cycle to go, and the battery should be calibrated fairly well.