• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Battery life - post update - strange but true

I'm not sure, if you use Gmail though all of your contacts will be synced on your Gmail cloud. If no Gmail, check the Tmo server, it should also have your contacts there.

Where do I find the Tmo server?

I have exported my contacts to my SD card (00001.vcf file) I assume I will be able to import them back from the SD card after a reset.

Do I have to remove the SD card before executing a reset?

Also If you do not have to reinstall the update, does this mean that the reset uses OTA to get back to factory specs?

Thanks

Simon

Upvote 0
Robo

Where fo I find the Tmo server?

I have exported my contacts to my SD card (00001.vcf file) I assume I will be able to import them back from the SD card after a reset.

Do I have to remove the SD card before executing a reset?

Thanks

Simon

You have to register at Tmobile.com to access your account and contacts online. You can edit them and sync them there.

No you do not have to remove the SD card before executing a factory reset.

Upvote 0
I have a My T-Mobile account I see that I can manually type in the contacts then download them to my phone but not vise versa.

But does transfering my contacts to my SD card make this moot.

Yes, so long as you can import the vcf file back into your contacts on the phone.

Or you can import your vcf file into Gmail contacts if you set up your Gmail account. It syncs almost instantly with the phone seemlessly.

Upvote 0
Reset done... at the expense of a few vids and pics of my children. But after all this talk I just couldn't wait.

It seems pretty snappy, that's for sure, but I have yet to reinstall any apps. 2.1 update intact. Can't get to my SD card though. Reinstalling Astro from the Market to see if that helps...

...and it does! Wow. looks like it even saved my vids and phots. I didn't think I backed those up.

Update on battery life tomorrow. Fingers crossed. I was down to 21% at 1pm!

Upvote 0
Reset done... at the expense of a few vids and pics of my children. But after all this talk I just couldn't wait.

It seems pretty snappy, that's for sure, but I have yet to reinstall any apps. 2.1 update intact. Can't get to my SD card though. Reinstalling Astro from the Market to see if that helps...

...and it does! Wow. looks like it even saved my vids and phots. I didn't think I backed those up.

Congratulations! Good luck with the battery. I think you meant JI6 update intact. "2.1" refers to the Android operating system version.

Remember, if the battery drain is still high there are a couple of other things left to try.

Upvote 0
Here are my results from today. Not a precise scientific test, but one set of samples:

Time...........Bat Level ....... Network.......Drain Rate
8:30-12:00..... 92%............wifi.............2.2%/hr
12:00-2:30......88%...........2G/3G..........1.6%/hr
2:30-5:00........83%..........2G only.........2%/hr

I only used the phone during each time slot for a bit of browsing and some email access, no GPS or other heavy usage. Mostly it was just sitting in stand-by. I have not enabled Media Hub, but did have the update switch set to ON all day.

Interestingly during this particular period "2G only" did not come out better than 2G/3G, although I can't say for certain that my usage was identical during each period.

I'm certainly not seeing anything close to as good as 1% total loss over 7 hours, but I'm also not losing 13% in an hour unless I'm doing heavy GPS testing. I can try some overnight, unplugged tests over the next few nights to see what true idle does.

Based on my casual observations over the last 2 months I would say JI6 hasn't changed the battery drain on my phone very much one way or the other.

Upvote 0

I've also done a factory reset and hope my battery life improves!

The only losses I suffered were bookmarks, but they needed a good editing anyway.

Thanks all for your input!

Cheers

Simon

Upvote 0
Here are my results from today. Not a precise scientific test, but one set of samples:

Time...........Bat Level ....... Network.......Drain Rate
8:30-12:00..... 92%............wifi.............2.2%/hr
12:00-2:30......88%...........2G/3G..........1.6%/hr
2:30-5:00........83%..........2G only.........2%/hr

I only used the phone during each time slot for a bit of browsing and some email access, no GPS or other heavy usage. Mostly it was just sitting in stand-by. I have not enabled Media Hub, but did have the update switch set to ON all day.

Interestingly during this particular period "2G only" did not come out better than 2G/3G, although I can't say for certain that my usage was identical during each period.

I'm certainly not seeing anything close to as good as 1% total loss over 7 hours, but I'm also not losing 13% in an hour unless I'm doing heavy GPS testing. I can try some overnight, unplugged tests over the next few nights to see what true idle does.

Based on my casual observations over the last 2 months I would say JI6 hasn't changed the battery drain on my phone very much one way or the other.

Interesting, and thanks for sharing your info. Keep in mind you won't see a big difference in 2G vs 2G/3G auto unless you are in a fringe area. It is the frequent seeking of the 3G towers in a fringe or no-3G area that causes the big drain. If you're connected solidly to 3G you shouldn't see much if any difference.

I'm now at 91% at 2:45PM started off at 100% at 7AM.

Edit: Now at 4:52PM 84%, several more voice calls, more texts, bluetooth speakerphone, etc.

Upvote 0
Newb question: A factory reset will wipe out all your apps, right? If I'm not rooted and only have mini Kies installed on my computer, what do I do? Look up and reinstall everything from scratch?

My phone has been on 3h 22m today. that's after an overnight charge and minimal use this AM (a couple texts & emails). My batt is at 66% already.

Doesn't anyone here use an App Like this one??
http://www.androlib.com/android.application.tw-nicky-appbackupreinstall-jAjwp.aspx

It copy's the .apk files to the Internal SD memory and then in turn you can copy them to your external SD card or P.C.

Upvote 0
Doesn't anyone here use an App Like this one??
App Backup & Reinstall ~ Android Application v1.3.4 By NickyCho | Tools

It copy's the .apk files to the Internal SD memory and then in turn you can copy them to your external SD card or P.C.

I hadn't seen that one in particular, but it looks to be worth a try for anyone who doesn't have a backup app. I use Titanium Backup, but that needs root. It's pretty much the standard for anyone rooted and flashing custom ROM's.

Even though Google keeps track of all your apps and you can always reinstall via the Market, you can save a considerable amount of time using backups. I would encourage everyone to have something.

Upvote 0
Interesting, and thanks for sharing your info. Keep in mind you won't see a big difference in 2G vs 2G/3G auto unless you are in a fringe area. It is the frequent seeking of the 3G towers in a fringe or no-3G area that causes the big drain. If you're connected solidly to 3G you shouldn't see much if any difference.

I'm in a no 3G dead spot surrounded by 3G. I say that based on never getting 3G here. I expected with 2G/3G enabled I would see a larger drop than with 2G only, since my understanding is 2G/3G would be constantly trying to find a 3G signal. Maybe what happens is if the 3G is intermittent then switching back and forth between 2G and 3G is what is more of a drain, which would be your "fringe" area.

In any case, JI6 itself does not seem to have caused some abnormal battery drain on my phone. I suspect some other combination of running apps, settings, or usage is causing the reports we're seeing.

Upvote 0
I'm in a no 3G dead spot surrounded by 3G. I say that based on never getting 3G here. I expected with 2G/3G enabled I would see a larger drop than with 2G only, since my understanding is 2G/3G would be constantly trying to find a 3G signal. Maybe what happens is if the 3G is intermittent then switching back and forth between 2G and 3G is what is more of a drain, which would be your "fringe" area.

In any case, JI6 itself does not seem to have caused some abnormal battery drain on my phone. I suspect some other combination of running apps, settings, or usage is causing the reports we're seeing.

Bingo!

Upvote 0
yes... i used advanced task killer, and after i notice the battery draining.. adavanced task killer shows there are 10+ apps running.

i have no idea why the android keeps on loading these apps, but it's frustrating and seems pointless. does anyone know why it keeps on automatically loading these apps?

is there an app that keeps it from opening certain apps? would improve my battery life significantly.

Upvote 0
My battery life is aweful. It drops 50% in about 5 hours, and that's with minimal use. I'm convinced it's because of all the bloatware running in the background, but I can't do anything about it. I tried rooting my phone, but I still can't delete the bloatware. No idea why. My phone was rooted before the update, and I had no problems deleting bloatware. My battery was fine. Now, it's a nightmare!

Also tried application auditors and startup managers. Nothing seems to be able to stop this bloatware from launching and running in the background. I feel violated by bloatware. Seriously, I feel like amazon.com, dailybrief, ect...are spying on my every move.

Ive asked for help on this subject before, but nobody seems to be having the issues i'm having...Hopefully froyo will fix my phone. If not, I'll be ditching the Vibrant.

Upvote 0
My battery life is aweful. It drops 50% in about 5 hours, and that's with minimal use. I'm convinced it's because of all the bloatware running in the background, but I can't do anything about it. I tried rooting my phone, but I still can't delete the bloatware. No idea why. My phone was rooted before the update, and I had no problems deleting bloatware. My battery was fine. Now, it's a nightmare!

Also tried application auditors and startup managers. Nothing seems to be able to stop this bloatware from launching and running in the background. I feel violated by bloatware. Seriously, I feel like amazon.com, dailybrief, ect...are spying on my every move.

Ive asked for help on this subject before, but nobody seems to be having the issues i'm having...Hopefully froyo will fix my phone. If not, I'll be ditching the Vibrant.

That is truly bizarre, short of comparing the phones side by side I am at a loss. Have you tried Samsung level 3 support or maybe a warranty exchange? Or could it be the battery is bad? Tmobile will help if so.

Upvote 0

It's not what you're calling "bloatware". I haven't deleted any of the standard apps that come installed on the phone, and don't have the battery drain problem you see. Are you seeing anything running when you use the new Task Manager that came with the JI6 update?

Upvote 0

I don't get it. A few of us have mentioned that we factory restored and fixed the problem. Why don't you try that?

Upvote 0
I don't get it. A few of us have mentioned that we factory restored and fixed the problem. Why don't you try that?

What are you talking about? A factory reset won't remove bloatware. If anything it will restore it.

With respect to battery problems, there have been issues with the JI6 update's modem. I suggest, flywatt, that you do what robo21 suggested.

It isn't the bloatware that's killing your battery. Android apps can sit in the background all day using next to no resources; that's how Android was constructed. The OS will kill apps on its own when it needs additional resources.

If you really want to get rid of bloatware, root the phone and get Titanium Backup. It can remove the bloatware.

Titanium Backup ? root - Android app on AppBrain

Upvote 0
What are you talking about? A factory reset won't remove bloatware. If anything it will restore it.

With respect to battery problems, there have been issues with the JI6 update's modem. I suggest, flywatt, that you do what robo21 suggested.

It isn't the bloatware that's killing your battery. Android apps can sit in the background all day using next to no resources; that's how Android was constructed. The OS will kill apps on its own when it needs additional resources.

If you really want to get rid of bloatware, root the phone and get Titanium Backup. It can remove the bloatware.

Titanium Backup ? root - Android app on AppBrain

Rocket meant that a factory reset could possibly end his battery drainage issue. And he's asking indirectly, as I have directly, if flywatt has taken any proactive steps toward fixing the problem other than posting here and threatening to sell the Vibrant.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones