• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Battery life - post update - strange but true

When I exchanged my sim card, it did help with dropped calls and signal strength, but it did not improve my battery life. It may help some who are experiencing battery issues. It may have helped some in my case because after reading forums, it seems like I never had good battery life, and the ji6 update just made it much worse.

The problems people are having post update may have shed light on some peoples unrelated battery problems which were solved by new batteries, sim, or settings. But the post update issue is very real and the only thing that solved it for me was a warranty exchange.

I am now able to get through a work day even with heavy use. Saturday with light use I still had 75% or so left after a solid 24 hours.

And.. No, my new sim card looks the same.

wow 75% after 24 hours? that's amazing.
My battery seems to lose 5% an hour on idle, (whereas it was 10% before the new SIM card). I have juiceplotter running which does take up some battery power. I downloaded the full version of System Panel to try to understand more about what's using the battery.

I've seen some people post that their battery drops 1% an hour on idle - wish mine would do that!

Upvote 0
Q: Was a non-OEM charger a factor in your experience? If so, could you share your experience please?

I'm not sure yet. I moved to the Vibrant from a Palm device. Since they both charged via micro-usb, I didn't bother switching to the Samsung wall plug and continued to charge from the existing Palm plug right from the box.

The non-OEM eBay car charger I had for my Palm did not work on my Vibrant though. I replaced it with another cheap eBay job. The Palm OEM wall plug seemed fine though. It occurred to me, last night, that maybe there is an issue with the wall charger as well. I replaced it with the OEM Samsung wall plug.

I don't believe anyone has ever mentioned the wall charger in this (lengthy) thread; so I was hoping for some input. I am experiencing better battery life today for sure. However, I've also not used my phone much these last two days (work).

But that reminds me: work charger is also a cheap eBay plug and I have not charged at work for the last two days.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure yet. I moved to the Vibrant from a Palm device. Since they both charged via micro-usb, I didn't bother switching to the Samsung wall plug and continued to charge from the existing Palm plug right from the box.

The non-OEM eBay car charger I had for my Palm did not work on my Vibrant though. I replaced it with another cheap eBay job. The Palm OEM wall plug seemed fine though. It occurred to me, last night, that maybe there is an issue with the wall charger as well. I replaced it with the OEM Samsung wall plug.

I don't believe anyone has ever mentioned the wall charger in this (lengthy) thread; so I was hoping for some input. I am experiencing better battery life today for sure. However, I've also not used my phone much these last two days (work).

But that reminds me: work charger is also a cheap eBay plug and I have not charged at work for the last two days.

As long as the phone shows 100% or very near when you unplug it then the specific charger probably makes little difference. If the battery wasn't being fully charged then that would be an issue. Different chargers may take more or less time to fully charge the battery, but as long as you get there quickly enough it shouldn't matter in terms of how long the battery can run the phone.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
my battery lasts a long time now..like 18 hours above with moderate use..

before.. i normally would go to manage applications and stop the apps and clear caches/data, but not anymore.. i just go to running services and kill the apps that are not really essential ( ithink) such as google talk, media hub download manager, device management, omadrm blahblah, 3g watchdog, dictionary, i must have missed others ones but these are the ones that are normally in the running services on boot start.. i just leave andlock (if i stop this, it will not work and will not password lock my apps) and swiftkey(can not be stopped) sitting in that running services .. and every now and then i check back to the running services app to see which apps have returned, killing them in running services does not kill them in manage applications/running... so it could mean that the apps in 'running services'/task manager may be the ones that are actually running and uses the memory/resources (?)

i believe stopping device management and omadrmprotected will give you good battery life.. now, if you heard a news about a coming firmware update, you better not stop device management prior to that, otherwise you wouldnt get the update notification (?)

well, this is how it works for me, im starting to think that the phone itself works just as fine , thou it does lag here and there sometimes, and i dont want to use a lag fix coz even the lag fix i had used before still did not prevent the lag..

these are all based on my experience and mere opinions only..

Upvote 0
Hmmm. This link seems to work.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Samsung-Vibrant-T959-Extended-Battery-I9000-Galaxy-S-/130448289815?pt=US_Batteries&hash=item1e5f52f017

(Again, I can't vouch for this, just saw the link on XDA and passed it along since so many seem to need longer battery life. But as always buyer beware.)

Good find. I like the fact that it comes from the US and that he offers the specs in his listing.

Adding one of these puppies would solve the problem for those who are complaining that the Vibrant is too light too. ;)

Upvote 0
I cant speak for others experience, but I too had terrible battery drain and I am not a heavy user. My phone would drop from 100% to 40% overnight with no use.

I came across this fix by pure happenstance......I noticed that when i completely turned off the phone before I inserted the charger, my battery lasted significantly longer the next day. Obviously, with heavy use the battery life will go down, but will light usage my battery now last for two days. If my phone just sits at my desk and is minimally used, the drain may only be 15% for a full day.

Not sure why this works but it has worked for me.....fwiw, I use the new 3G TM SIM card where "TM" and a series of numbers is printed on the actually SIM card.

Upvote 0
I was wondering why, since the last forced OS update on my Galaxy/Fascinate kept dying within a few hours. I realized that when my phone was just sitting on the table, minding its own business, the LCD would just turn on automatically. I walk over, lock the phone (to turn off the screen) and a few minutes later it would be on again. I guess that's why it has been pooping out in my pocket and my bag.

It was fine before the update. But since then, I guess they "upgraded" the phone to recognize "Non-Samsung" -type batteries (it now gives me warnings). And it kills them on contact.

I love the screen, but I'm really disliking how they are forcing things (like Apps) down my throat. I feel like everyone is just following the Facebook example (regarding how to run their business). However, whereas Facebook is a "Free" service (I guess it depends on how you value your time), I paid $$$ for this phone. And since I feel somewhat identified by the $$$ purchase I choose to make, I would like a modicum of choice where it counts.

Upvote 0
It was fine before the update. But since then, I guess they "upgraded" the phone to recognize "Non-Samsung" -type batteries (it now gives me warnings). And it kills them on contact.

Okay, I am curious, what do you mean "...(it now gives me warnings)..." Are you talking about ebay "non-Samsung" batteries or ???

I have an ebay replacement battery and it works just fine in the Vibrant. It is not "killed on contact" nor is it "detected."

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones