Battery life reports?Support

Last Updated:

1. rfdesq

rfdesq Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Anyone who owns a SGS have any battery life reports?

Advertisement
  2. goondu

goondu Active Member

There is a number of feedback regarding the poor battery life over here in Singapore. I'm not sure if it is user related, you know, being a new phone, everyone is so eager to experiment it, or that it just couldn't match up to what GSMArena had said.

A lot depends on the usage patterns. Some use to watch HD movies, some go for surfing, some busy downloading apps from the market, etc...

However, what I can say that whatever GSMArena had tried, regarding the video playing for 7+ hours, we over here would not be able to achieve.

One of the user in the hardwarezone forum had discovered that the battery over here is G7 while the one which GSMArena used is the G9. Refer to the following thread:

www.hardwarezone.com.sg - View Single Post - [Official] Samsung Galaxy S

We really dunno about it.

3. EarlZ

EarlZ Well-Known Member

Well we all have different ways of using the phone, maybe there is an app that can monitor the entire power usage so we can compare it properly, since we all have a different perception of "light-medium-heavy" usage

4. Beards

Beards Well-Known Member

My Brother uses on his Desire Battery Status Ultimate which he loves.

There is quite a difference between the 'Pro' version which is free and the 'Ultimate' version which costs $0.99

5. EarlZ

EarlZ Well-Known Member

Something more similar to "Energy Profiler" for Nokia S60 phones. It shows a real time graph based on the power usage and it can also log it. Atleast this way we can all tell that we are really consuming the 1500mAH.

6. Beards

Beards Well-Known Member

You mean something like Battery Graph.

Another is Battery Dog

7. unseensite

unseensite New Member

You know the easiest way to keep the battery alive is to keep it plugged in all the time when you're using it at home.

8. Smg

Smg Well-Known Member

Yeah not a good idea lol.

9. Beards

Beards Well-Known Member

Yes, Smg is quite correct.
    The manual clearly says 'do not overcharge'.

10. ewingr

ewingr Well-Known Member

Yep. That's a concern, I think. We have to charge it a lot if we use it a lot, but then we can't plug it in and let it charge without a reminder to unplug it.

I want this phone so bad. But this is one thing that may be a show stopper for me. In order to have battery, I typically have my phone plugged to my PC all day, then into a mount and car charger when I'm driving, and then on teh wall charger while I sleep.

If I end up using it w/o being able to charge while drivign (when with someone else), it would die way too quick.

There is no such thing as a perfect phone ;-)

11. Beards

Beards Well-Known Member

To get around part of the problem you could look at getting hold of a Car Charger that has built into it an automatic cut off when charging is complete.
    Not all car chargers have this feature but MobileFun sell one that has the safety feature built in.
    You can find information on it here.

ewingr likes this.
  12. ewingr

ewingr Well-Known Member

Thanks Beards! Now all we need is same type of thing on the other types of charges we will use.

I bookmarked that one.

I'm so anxious for this to be available for AT&T.

13. galaxyS

galaxyS Well-Known Member

i think samsung as per the manual is simply taking necessary precautions to improve the user's experience, overcharging the phone will shorten the battery life in the long run , but it wont burn nor start a fire with regard to keeping it plug while at home...

samsung wont use that type of battery if that is really going to be an issue/problem as it could jeoparidze the company... besides , samsung is not dumb enough not to think that some people do like to keep their phone plugged in all the time.. even i keep my phone plugged while asleep...LOL

if the galaxy S would start a fire, lawsuits would be sending them invites.. LOL

14. Beards

Beards Well-Known Member

Yes, the manual clearly states ~
    Page 122 Safety and Usage Information
    Avoid charging batteries for more than a week, as
    overcharging may shorten battery life.

However, part of this problem has to be due to the type of battery found in the i9000.
    Instead of the dry cell Li-Ion we have the wet cell Li-Pol.
    Li-Pol's being wet cell can rupture if overcharged.
    Obviously Samsung are not going to say this in the manual and I am sure they have taken every preventive measure to ensure the battery does not rupture but a Li-Pol's design and make up are known for this. As such manufacturers and designers have to ensure all safety measures are in order.:)

15. rfdesq

rfdesq Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'd like to get this thread back on topic. My original desire was to get real world reports from users. Thanks.