battery life, simple solution!:-)

Last Updated:

1. 3001

3001 Active Member This Topic's Starter

After struggling a bit with the EVO and battery life(actually not that bad, but i kinda abuse it). I can turn off features, but I want to use those features, not not have to use them, and i can be without a wall for 12+ hours while using the phone extensively. Usually travelling for a while, switching cell towers(i've noticed tihs KILLS the battery life), playing DivX on Rockplayer, interwebs, GPS, and if i want to use all this stuff just killls the battry, and that's why i got the phone, for it's feature list...

but...

carrying a 2nd battery, so simple, so effective. I got used to having iPhones and just realized how useful this is for a smart phone! I guess next battery technique will be carrying 3 batteries.

in all honesty I can do everything I was doing on my notebook, and a lot smaller to carry, carrying an extra battery or 2 is no big deal. Dont get why people just dont do that...

How often are you really not capable of carrying an extra battery if you're travelling where you'd not have access to an outlet?

battery life sucks still, but it's just about at what my iPhone 3g was at when ti's battery wa sdieing...:eek:

Advertisement
    WaSTeLaNd and sagedil like this.
  2. 81_

81_ Banned

maybe sprint should start a battery exchange program like US Cellular ( i think it is)

3. patch321

patch321 Well-Known Member

just one more thing for me to forget and accidentally leave at home. besides how often do you go 12+ hours without being near a wall charger? isn't a necessity for me, personally. my battery gets more than 12 hours.

4. hendodo

hendodo Well-Known Member

Carrying extra batteries and chargers suck! Its not that its a big deal or not, its just the principle of actually having to.

5. neodorian

neodorian Well-Known Member

Thankfully I am around computers and walls regularly. I charge overnight and then when I am at work I will plug it into my PC if I know I'm going to be at my desk for a long period of time. If I go on a long trip I plug it into the car charger.

Only place I would be screwed is like an all-day concert or something. In that case I would probably benefit from a second battery but that's not something I do more than once or twice a year. Even then I can still usually hold enough charge to last the day as long as I don't keep screwing around on my phone all day. If it was really important I would turn on airplane mode to conserve power when not in use.

6. Drew5150

Drew5150 Well-Known Member

would have been nice if sprint would have included a spare battery and external charger like they did with the original instinct.

the instinct was is still the best packaged phone I have ever bought. too bad it kinda sucked.

7. jsnole

jsnole Member

It did come with a great set of accessories. It just sucked so bad it went back within the 30 days...

8. sagedil

sagedil Well-Known Member

To the OP. I brought my spare batteries with me on launch day from my Hero. I have been posting about it since then. But many simply choose not to listen.

Two spare batteries and I have always been. Ablevto slam the phone with everything on. Yes why I love Evo. I too have shared this secret but very few listen.

9. fourgee

fourgee Active Member

I think all the hype about poor battery life has made me hypersensitive to the issue. Sure, it would be great of the battery lasted like my Blackberry. But it would REALLY SUCK if it lasted like my Lap Top!
    Looking at the big picture, I think the battery lasts about as long as could be expected given the power of the EVO.

10. TF1984

TF1984 Well-Known Member

One spare battery is always nestled in my Truck's glovebox.

I have 24,000,000 chargers at home, two in my car, one in the wife's. I keep just the one battery in the truck knowing that if I'm ever going to run out of juice, it won't be near home so I'll obviously have the truck with me.

I swap the spare and the user battery once a week just to ensure the spare will have a charge.

11. dakidobf

dakidobf Well-Known Member

Definitely think the spare battery is the way to go. Its slim enough that I just keep it in my wallet if I know I'll be out on the street for a long time. But day to day, i just charge it at my desk and in the car on the way home like most people should.

And with the 2 for $10 plus wall charger on Ebay, price is not an issue.

12. Sprint71

Sprint71 New Member

The thing I loved with my Instinct was the second battery they gave you and the charger. I always carried the second battery with me, it just became a habit like grabbing my phone was before I went out. In some cases it came in handy when I was using my phone throughout the day a lot. I thought they would do that with the Evo but I was disappointed when I saw they didn't

13. centauress

centauress Well-Known Member

Hell, I bought 2 wall chargers w/ USB cables - HTC Cert. - off of eBay for $15. That and a 4400 mAh external battery that I got from PPCTechs when I had the Sprint 6600 - It's still on their site for $69 and will fit anything that can charge from a USB port.

One charger goes in my backpack, along with the charged external. That way, even if I'm away from an outlet - (I'm a Security Guard; electrical power, let alone heat, light or even protection against the elements NEVER assured) - I can keep my phone topped off for most of a work shift.

As you can see on the left, I still have a Hero and am lurking here. But even when I get my EVO in about 3 months, I'll be using theis same plan. And the same equipment, as well.

It's just good planning. These aren't like the 'bagphones' of the 70's and 80's. The batteries weigh about the same as a fast food double-patty hamburger and take less space than a box of Altoids. Just get used carrying one and you'll be happier.

sagedil likes this.
  14. novarider

novarider Well-Known Member

The only reason I don't carry an extra battery is because I use a case. Taking my case off one or two times a day would break the case petty fast.

15. Rigmaster

Rigmaster Well-Known Member

When I'm on the move, I just use my 4400mah or 8000mah rechargers depending on how long I'm out, what I'll be doing, and if my wife and her Evo are coming too (that's when the 8000 comes with me).

Our Evos have been case-protected since Day 1, and I'd not remove that protection just for a battery swap. Have to do it to put in the new 32GB card, but I don't think the case will be coming off again for quite some time or unless I put a newer case on it.

16. kiz88

kiz88 Well-Known Member

It is not the batterys that suck it is the software management on the phone that chargers the batterys, get a dock charger for batterys only and you will notice a huge difference.

17. centauress

centauress Well-Known Member

That's why I said External battery, or 'recharger' as another poster called it. With either one of them, you just need the USB cable.

Easy-peasy.

And you don't even need to take the case off.

sagedil likes this.